Athlete dismissed from the Olympics for racism and Minister of Labour vs IMF’s representative: 1-0

First:

Greek triple jumper Voula Papachristou was expelled by the Hellenic Olympic Committee for posting a racist comment on Twitter her comment was:

“With so many Africans in Greece… At least the West Nile mosquitoes will eat home made food!!!”

She later was apologized, put it was too late.

Note: She may be sympathetic for Golden Dawn (Far-right party) and its member Ilias Kasidiaris apparently since she has re-twitted many thinks about it and she wished him on his name day. http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-18987678

Second:

Verbal dispute between courage and Cypriot Minister of Labour

When Delia Velculescu an IMF’s representative from Romania told to the Cypriot Minister of Labour Sotiroula Charalambous that countries of former Eastern Europe were to cut wages by 25%, the Minister answered her that "That's why we filled with people from your country.". Mrs Charalambous later stated "All we enter into dialogue and there was no conflict" and "we are there to put our positions."

edit: News that caught my attention today and I think that are interested interesting to talk about. Geez woman!

edit the BBC link

Top tip: You'll probably get more interest in this topic if you change the title to something like "Athlete dismissed for racism" - at the moment it's kinda vague. You can edit the title if you use the full editor in your initial post. :)

Top tip: You'll probably get more interest in this topic if you change the title to something like "Athlete dismissed for racism" - at the moment it's kinda vague. You can edit the title if you use the full editor in your initial post. :)

Thank you :cheers:

Agreed with Min, though I might go with "Romania VS Cyprus!!!" (Note the !!!)

Thank you :cheers:

I used them both. When I saw it I knew it was wrong but I didn't knew how to change it. :dunno:

From what I read her name is reported as Paraskevi Papachristou, is there a reason the OPs naming is different?

Crass comments by her, but I am a fan of google image search after hearing about this.

Voula is a short form for Paraskevi.

Paraskevi - Paraskevoula (small Paraskevi) - Voula

While I found the tweet to be racial in nature, I personally didn't find it racist.

In Greece there are many jokes that are racial in nature, against foreign or Pontians etc., but in her case it's worst because she may be sympathetic of the Golden Dawn, which made her comment racist. When you represent a country you must not make comments like that in public.

Here is the BBC article http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-18987678

I apparently have made a mistake about the title of the topic. I am sorry if I offended anyone but I didn't knew how to write it properly. I've changed now. Once again I am sorry if I offended anyone

No, Solo was making a joke about how you didn't put three exclamation points on your title, like Datepalm suggested, and instead you only put one "!".

He wasn't serious, and your title wasn't offensive.

No, Solo was making a joke about how you didn't put three exclamation points on your title, like Datepalm suggested, and instead you only put one "!".

He wasn't serious, and your title wasn't offensive.

What :shocked: ? Really :stillsick: ? God I am @@@@. I was so afraid I thought I was gonna been ban about this. I actually waited to be told that I am reported. :dunce:

On the OP. I find the second part way more interesting that the first. Finally someone actually had the courage to tell the truth at the IMF.

What :shocked: ? Really :stillsick: ? God I am @@@@. I was so afraid I thought I was gonna been ban about this. I actually waited to be told that I am reported. :dunce:

On the OP. I find the second part way more interesting that the first. Finally someone actually had the courage to tell the truth at the IMF.

Its okay, relax. You've been around for 681 posts and you are probably one of the least likely people to get banned. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy.

In Greece there are many jokes that are racial in nature, against foreign or Pontians etc., but in her case it's worst because she may be sympathetic of the Golden Dawn, which made her comment racist. When you represent a country you must not make comments like that in public.

Here is the BBC article http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-18987678

Ok... It is the context of her other tweets that make this a racist sentiment. I understand now, and fully support the ban of her in the games. If it had just been the comment, then I don't think that would have been enough to kick her out. As it is, she has shown support to a neo-nazi political party, and then made a racial comment. That is different.

I still find the comment itself not to be intrinsically racist without the other context.

JQC -

You are doing fine around here... Hell, this board puts up with me...

Which takes precedence, a person's right to freely express his/her views, or a sport authority to say we do not wish our country represented by those who make insensitive remarks about any group? I'm for freedom of speech.

As for Romania vs Cyprus, I'm on the side of Cyprus. Saving money by encouraging your labor force to move elsewhere, simply stinks.

Which takes precedence, a person's right to freely express his/her views, or a sport authority to say we do not wish our country represented by those who make insensitive remarks about any group? I'm for freedom of speech.

As for Romania vs Cyprus, I'm on the side of Cyprus. Saving money by encouraging your labor force to move elsewhere, simply stinks.

And... once again Robin speaks up without any comprehension of what she is talking about... surprise...

Papachristou does have a right to speech. She wasn't jailed, or forced to face a court for what she said. The IOC has the right to free speech as well, and they exercised this by saying that racists will not be allowed to participate in their games.

A right to free speech does not assure that there is no social backlash to what you say.

Archived