September Reads

Serious Callers Only

I'm about a quarter of the way into Boy's Life by Robert McCammon. Picked it up for.99 in the Google play store. Also reading The Passage by Justin Cronin. Boys Life actually pushed that to the side since I am having trouble putting it down.

I'm about a quarter of the way into Boy's Life by Robert McCammon. Picked it up for.99 in the Google play store...Boys Life actually pushed that to the side since I am having trouble putting it down.

I grew with that book and have read it several times. It's a lot of fun; there's so much there. A rich and rewarding experience.

Just started The Left Hand of Darkness while bowhunting tonight. About 30 pages in and it is weird so far.

EDIT: LeGuin's intro made me feel dumb.

It is worth perservering. It is not, I think, totally successful, but what LeGuin is trying to do is hard hard hard hard. Talk about gender-bending! I don't recall the intro, but I have almost what amounts to reverence for LeGuin and truly believe she respects her readers and would not wish that. It is indeed a hard book - but I, at least, became interested in the characters and the story and in the end felt it was well-worth reading.

Lady Chatterly's Lover is the most poorly written, or rather over-written, purple prose infused, polemical lionization of nasty nasty people this side of Atlas Shrugged!

And, like the works of Ms. Ayn Rand, it's a novel I would want to ban just for all the harm it's done to susceptible readers over the decades. it conveys a warped, racist, sexist, heteronormative view of human sexuality and human relations (e.g. real woman have mutual orgasms with real men, and everyone else is dead! dead to world! Anyone who doesn't find fulfilment thorugh sex should just die already, even if they're crippled) that's influended popular culture and popular romance novels. But then, I don't really like those books either. The heroes are awful people and the villians are made of straw.

I really did not like this book.

Re: The Affirmation.

Oh, I don't know. I will keep on reading it but...we will see.

Omg.

What a weird book. I am not sure I am going to read any Priest's books in the near future.

I guess it is a good puzzle book for a doctor psychiatrist.

I am back to The Malazan world. Not that there are no mad people in it, but at least I cannot identify myself with them vs. the depressed schisophrenic protagionist of The Affirmation. One crazy person in my company is more than enough but two? No way. Thank you very much.

It is worth perservering. It is not, I think, totally successful, but what LeGuin is trying to do is hard hard hard hard. Talk about gender-bending! I don't recall the intro, but I have almost what amounts to reverence for LeGuin and truly believe she respects her readers and would not wish that. It is indeed a hard book - but I, at least, became interested in the characters and the story and in the end felt it was well-worth reading.

I read another 30 pages or so and I find it interesting, it is just such a strange read. I will surely finish it.

I read the "Wool" series by Hugh Howey. A really decent story with lots of surprises. It felt like the Hunger Games Triology and was simply good entertainement, though probably not good literature. I guess most people on the board hate it...

So I finally continued with Vance's the dying earth series and after a rough start, it certainly git better in books 2-3. Once it focused on vitro, it was a lot more compelling, even if it wad still a series of encounters with people who wanted to trap him.

About 100 pages into cloud atlas. The trailer for the film convinced me to give the book a try. It's interesting despite actually being about nothing I'm actually interested in so far. I guess I may be mightily impressed when/if it hits some suject matter i like.

Somehow Kraken turned into an epic count-the-pages slog. I still have 60 pages to get through before I go on holiday tomorrow. At the beginning I really liked it but I'm just less and less into it the more I read. Shame. If this was his first novel I don't think that many people would have say up and taken notice...

Finished up Season of Mists, which was ok (3/5 stars-ok)

I had no idea you've been reading Sandman! I thought I must be the only geek left in the world who hasn't read it, and have been slowly working to remedy that. I finished Brief Lives just this morning. :thumbsup:

Archived