September Reads

Serious Callers Only

What do you think of this one? I have it sitting on my to-read pile.

I enjoyed it. It mostly deals with the protagonist's time in a POW camp and the complicated political environment within. I found certain portions surprisingly tragic, given the rather cut and dry narration of events and my lack of attachment to any of the characters. It was on the same high level of the other works that I've read from Ha Jin, "Under the Red Flag" and "Waiting".

Finished The Heroes.

At first I found it really hard to get into and had to keep flipping to the character list (thank GOD for that thing, I am terrible with characters). Then I was more into it but didn't really like the characters. Then I ended up absolutely loving it. I found myself laughing at completely inappropriate times quite often. Does that make me 'delightfully twisted and evil'?

I liked it better than Best Served Cold, I think because it was not quite as depressing. I may have even liked it better than the First Law Trilogy... maybe. It was awesome reading them all back to back like that, I want more! :drool:

Next up is the omnibus edition of Abraham's Long Price Quartet, Shadow and Betrayal.

Finished The Heroes.

At first I found it really hard to get into and had to keep flipping to the character list (thank GOD for that thing, I am terrible with characters). Then I was more into it but didn't really like the characters. Then I ended up absolutely loving it. I found myself laughing at completely inappropriate times quite often. Does that make me 'delightfully twisted and evil'?

I liked it better than Best Served Cold, I think because it was not quite as depressing. I may have even liked it better than the First Law Trilogy... maybe. It was awesome reading them all back to back like that, I want more! :drool:

I too read all five books back-to-back earlier this year, and loved it. Cannot wait for Red Country...which, unfortunately, has been pushed back into November here in the US. :bawl:

Started reading the first chapter of The Hunger Games. The writing style is distracting. I'm not sure if it's the author's fault or I'm getting too old for YA books. I'll try to finish it though, cause I'm like that. I couldn't live knowing there's a half-finished book lying around. Before that I read a Mitch Albom book - completely cliched and forgettable, same as anything by Paulo Coelho. I don't even remember why I have a copy of that book, I must have bought it when I was still young and impressionable. I'm re-reading ASOIAF on the sides too, but I do it mostly when I need to pass the time before a meeting or sleeping (not full-blown reading).

I think the main issue with Murakami is cultural differences, but I like that when I'm reading his books, I get the feeling that things don't need to happen and not everything is meant to be resolved. Life goes on. It's kind of bittersweet.

I will buy Cloud Atlas and The Book Thief when I next get to the bookstore. Heard good things about those.

The Iron Dragons Daughter-Michael Swanick. Grimm, but I liked it a lot. Don't know how to accurately describe this book as I need to let it percolate for awhile. Possibly read it again at a later date. Definately one of the best reads this year for me.

Is it a stand alone novel?

Allow me to help you: "Genius".

I think 'very good' is suficent for me. Liked it as a satire, and was rather fond of the very flawed protaganist who never seemed to learn from her mistakes(tying in nicely with the various reincarnations throughout the book), something I suspect the author believes is common in the human experience.

Started Prince Of Thorns by Mark Lawrence but didn't really like the writing style and I feel less enthused about the 'swords 'n' sorcery' end of the fantasy genre than I did 10 years ago. Not to knock it at all, just my tastes have changed I guess. Still enjoy GRRM and Abercrombie.

So I started Among Others by Jo Walton, more my cup of tea. Quite like it so far.

I really liked Territory by Emma Bull. A lot. Making it the second "Western" fantasy I have read, and liked(A. Half-Made World being the other, and B. Western as a US-centric view would call it, dealing with the American West).

Next will either be Bull's debut, the second Flashman, or starting the second Caphius Cain omnibus. I shall decide when I get home and pick one, I guess.

I found the last book of the City of a Hundred Rows series, City of Light and Shadow, a bit disappointing. The climatic scene was really rushed and the author never really expanded on the wonderful steampunk city that he created in the first 2 books. I would've love to have seen more of it. The ending was just a bit too pat and easy.

I feel like a historical fiction, so Mary: Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George is next. It has been sitting on my to be read pile for a couple of years.

Finished Broken Harbor by Tana French. It was, typically, just meh plot-wise, but fairly good character-wise. It seriously feels like she is making up the plot as she goes along, which for a murder mystery isn't the best approach imo. I could tell that she spends some time on internet message boards, however, because they play a fairly significant role in the story and she executes those parts perfectly. And hilariously. For example (no spoilers), one guy starts a thread asking about an animal or something, and the thread ends up being closed after someone brings up Hitler on the third page. :lol:

Not sure what to read next. I purchased Cloud Atlas, but I feel like I'm really in the mood for some straight up, classic fantasy. Might be time to cruise the rec threads - I want elves, magic, swords - D&D-type stuff. Or maybe Shadow and Bone. Decisions, decisions.

I really liked Territory by Emma Bull. A lot. Making it the second "Western" fantasy I have read, and liked(A. Half-Made World being the other, and B. Western as a US-centric view would call it, dealing with the American West).

I'm glad you enjoyed it :thumbsup:

Jesse Fox is pure awesome.

Archived