[Sample] Arianne I

Ran

I don't think Arianne has changed all that much either, and neither does Daemon Sand it seems:

Her father had confided in Ser Daemon when he chose him as his daughter's shield; with him at least she could speak freely. "I would sooner it were Quentyn who'd returned."

"Or so you say," said Daemon Sand. "Good night, princess."

He's not buying into her new "what's best for the family" act or whatever it is. She still covets power, only now it isn't just Dorne that she desires, she wants to be the Queen of Westeros like she would have been if the plans involving Viserys had worked out. At least that is the sense I got from it. She also lost her two Cyvasse games, which tells me she hasn't developed into quite the "player" Doran hopes she is. Add all this to the points Brashcandy made and I think it is clear that Arianne hasn't "improved" all that much.

I also thought there was an interesting bit of foreshadowing with regards to Dany and Daario in the way Arianne reflected on her mistake with Darkstar:

Poison, thought Arianne. Yes. Pretty poison, though. That was how he'd fooled her. Gerold Dayne was hard and cruel, but so fair to look upon that the princess had not believed half the tales she'd heard of him. Pretty boys had ever been her weakness, particularly the ones who were dark and dangerous as well. That was before, when I was just a girl, she told herself. I am a woman now, my father's daughter. I have learned that lesson.

IIRC, Dany thinks of Daario in the same way; that he is hard and cruel, dark and dangerous....but so handsome she can't stop thinking about him. If Arianne's experience with Darkstar is any indication, then things aren't going to end all that well with Dany and Daario. Not that we all couldn't see that coming from a mile away anyway.

I still can't take any mention of Gerold Dayne seriously, but I do want to see Hotah take down Darkstar. I wonder if Dawn or Edric Dayne will show up in those interactions. Also, where is Balon? I was expecting Swann and Areo to become bros. I'm shipping Obara and Hotah now, off together tracking Darkstar, how romantic.

Arianne just can't think about much else than sex. Even when talking about Connington, she's thinking about whether she can seduce him. Daemon has a much better shot at that.

The chapter opening with her saying she is Dorne's only hope basically guarantees her downfall. That and she loses at cyvasse, which is the GRRM's version of Dragonball's scouter. Tyrion's power level is over 9000!

I loved it!

It didn't really give us a lot of new info, except saying that Tarth may or may not have fallen to the Golden Company. They're making real progress in the Stormlands...I can't wait to see the Crown's reaction to this.

We've got a new pirate king too. Part of me hopes it's Gerion Lannister, the Corsair King, but I think it's Aurane Waters. Getting rich thanks to all of the ships he stole. Lord of Waters and all...pretty obvious.

A question: Was it ever mentioned in any of the previous books that Areo would be joining Obara's hunt for Darkstar?

Oh God, I want another POV...

Also, Arrianne has information on military tactics against dragons. My greatest fear with the DotD part 2 was that it would be too easy for Dany to win. But it seems she will have to subvert the tactics that even Aegon couldnt defeat if she wants to win the "slayer of lies" title :devil:

The also lost her two Cyvasse games, which tells me she hasn't developed into quite the "player" Doran hopes she is.

How long has passed since the end of AFfC? Six months, maybe? People are expecting a lot if she suddenly became a mastermind. She's a work in progress, but her thoughtfulness is definitely something new and good in her.

As to "old tricks", hey, every weapon in the arsenal...

I think Doran sent Daemon with Arianne for her to learn and grow. Daemon probably received explicit instructions to reject any advances. Arianne has to learn how to lead with her head instead of her "Myrish Swamp".

Is this not supposed to be the same Arianne chapter that GRRM read at a con several months ago?

The reports we had on that chapter said Arianne saw first men painting's in a cave, made it to Griffin's Roost, learned about Aegon's taking of SE and decided to go meet him in person to end the chapter.

So either Martin made some serious cuts/pushed things out or this is not the whole 2nd Arianne chapter. Not that I'm complaining, any ASOIAF is good ASOIAF, I'm just taking note of it.

I still can't take any mention of Gerold Dayne seriously, but I do want to see Hotah take down Darkstar. I wonder if Dawn or Edric Dayne will show up in those interactions. Also, where is Balon? I was expecting Swann and Areo to become bros. I'm shipping Obara and Hotah now, off together tracking Darkstar, how romantic.

Arianne just can't think about much else than sex. Even when talking about Connington, she's thinking about whether she can seduce him. Daemon has a much better shot at that.

The chapter opening with her saying she is Dorne's only hope basically guarantees her downfall. That and she loses at cyvasse, which is the GRRM's version of Dragonball's scouter. Tyrion's power level is over 9000!

Was it confirmed that Connington is gay? Just because he and the Blackfish never married doesn't mean they're gay... and, just because somebody is married doesn't mean they're not.

Is this not supposed to be the same Arianne chapter that GRRM read at a con several months ago?

The reports we had on that chapter said Arianne saw first men painting's in a cave, madeit to Griffin's Roost, learned about Aegon's taking of SE and decided to go meet him in person to end the chapter.

So either Martin made some serious cuts/pushed things out or this is not the whole 2nd Arianne chapter. Not that I'm complaining, any ASOIAF is good ASOIAF, I'm just taking note of it.

That was the 2nd Arianne chapter, this is the 1st one.

People don't just internally 180, but the big difference is now Arianne is -aware- of her faults and is trying to change them. She has some failings in that regard, but she now considers the alternatives to seduction as a strategy and all that (and heck, seduction still has its uses). She's matured, but hasn't completely transformed yet, so I'm liking her character a lot more.

Daemon Sand seems to be a sort of correction in male companions from "I am of the night" Darkstar (who by the way, it's good we got some more exposition on), also the comparison to Daario was very interesting.

How long has passed since the end of AFfC? Six months, maybe? People are expecting a lot if she suddenly became a mastermind. She's a work in progress, but her thoughtfulness is definitely something new and good in her.

As to "old tricks", hey, every weapon in the arsenal...

I don't know Ran... :) She spends a lot of time thinking, but what is she thinking about really? Her past mistakes, how wrong she was to doubt Daddy's judgment, her friend Spotted Sylvia and her history with Daemon Sand. Yes, she's interested in the kind of man Jon Con is, but that is centred around knowing whether he'll be an easy target for bedding. I think the refusal to read the books was a big clue, and honestly, Elia Sand seems like she'll be creating more waves going forward.

Archived