[Sample] Arianne I

Ran

From the square towers at the castle's corners flew the banners of House Toland; a green dragon biting its own tail, upon a golden field.

Green dragon? Gold field? Tyrion Lannister steals Rhaegal? Yeah OK, I'm reaching something fierce here...

I've already read it twice and skimmed it a third time, I think I've wrung all the foreshadowing my puny brain can get out of it. When does the ADWD paperback come out with the next sample chapter? :D

I think we got more of a confirmation about Lyanna as the KotLT (which I had already considered pretty certain). Elia Sand's love of horses (the half horse comment we get from Roose Bolton in ADWD and here with Valena Toland who also makes the comment about a girl jouster) just puts the matter to rest in my mind.

What the heck is KotLT?

The onyx cyvasse piece Doran had pressed into her hand was a dragon, so we have Arianne sent to meet Aegon recalling a black dragon game piece.

The lack of crying also stood out to me. In the Jon/Dany reread Tze pointed out how crying was a distinguishing cultural difference between North and South. Wildlings be admirable for not crying tears that would freeze on their cheeks vs. Alyssa's Tears with the story of a woman cursed for not crying. The Dornish lack of crying for valuable water in the desert creates a bit of Ice and Fire/North and South symmetry.

In general I'm quite happy with the way the Dornish characters and storyline are being fleshed out.

I think we got more of a confirmation about Lyanna as the KotLT (which I had already considered pretty certain). Elia Sand's love of horses (the half horse comment we get from Roose Bolton in ADWD and here with Valena Toland who also makes the comment about a girl jouster) just puts the matter to rest in my mind.

I was also thinking of Lyanna as I read the chapter, but how does Elia's horse ability relate? Except that she's another gorgeous wild girl who loves horses?

Also, Teora sounds like Shireen's soul-sister. She's like Shireen plus Patchface.

After reading that sample chapter, I think those threads about how Dany may not be welcomed in the Westeros / not getting the support from Dorne may be right after all.

"

And it seems like we're supposed to believe that Doran is going to be very upset about the death of his son

I'm starting to fear for JC, GRRM said that he will kill POVs next book and I don't think he needs two POVs to tell fAegon's side once Arianne gets to him

well, we know Connington has greyscale, which is deadly in adults, and we had Connington as the POV for Aegon's chapter at the end.

Jon Connington is thought as dead in the beginning of the chapter - little do they know that he practically is now, with the grayscale... The love of horses and excellence in riding really makes me wonder if one day this young Elia Sand will make for a Dothraki bride - if Dany somehow brings the Dothraki to Westeros... who knows... anyway, I agree with a post that said that's probably the last time Arianne will see her father :frown5:

Another thing that struck me in the chapter were the interesting parallels between Dany and Arianne, with the latter looking a lot less capable and prepared to meet the challenges ahead.

- Unlike Arianne who hardly knew her brother, Dany spent her entire childhood around Viserys. Arianne makes the wrong assumption at the end of the chapter concerning Dany's motives. She also thinks Quentyn would have looked quite foolish on dragon back, but the boy did make a bold attempt.. Hmmm...

- Ser Wun Wun noted the similar thinking of both women on Darkstar and Daario, but whilst Dany might be free of her attachment to Daario, Arianne looks to be eager to form a new one with Daemon.

- Daemon tells her that she's set on the dragon, but she lost her first real dragon in Viserys, and proceeds to lose two games of cyvasse. If the dragon has three heads, Arianne is a repeat loser. Doesn't bode well for her upcoming meetings.

- Not reading the book on how Dorne withstood the attack by dragons, again, not knowing the particulars of one's history is not a comforting sign.

As for why Doran sent Daemon with Arianne, I'm back to the old crackpot of Doran playing games within games and deliberately undermining his children :)

I was also thinking of Lyanna as I read the chapter, but how does Elia's horse ability relate? Except that she's another gorgeous wild girl who loves horses?

Back in AFFC Jaime says that "Jousting was three-quarters horsemanship." Lyanna is referenced several times as being a superb horsewoman. Seeing how Elia Sand took on the name Lady Lance and Valena's off-handed comment of a girl jouster made me immediately think of the connection.

I also thought of Lyanna Stark when I read the description of Elia Sand.

I wonder if it was a wise decision to send Elia to accompany Arianne. She's only 14 and very headstrong; I hope she doesn't do something rash and cause trouble for Arianne and the rest of them.

As for the elephants, I wonder how practical they will be as weapons of war in Westeros. Somehow I don't think one can put "bear paws" on an elephant and ride it through deep snow. :D

I think there was a thread asking whether Arianne loved Ser Arys Oakheart or if she was only using him.

Arianne missed Ser Arys too, more than she ever would have thought. He loved me madly, she told herself, yet I was never more than fond of him. I made use of him in my bed and in my plot, took his love and took his honor, gave him nothing but my body. In the end he could not live with what we'd done. Why else would her white knight have charged right into Areo Hotah's longaxe, to die the way he did? I was a foolish willful girl, playing at the game of thrones like a drunkard rolling dice.

The end of that first sentence proves she didn't care for him at all. She has a lot of growing up to do and her remorse shows she is trying. But I rolled my eyes and thought Tyrion wouldn't pass up a chance to read a book on dragons.

Another thing that struck me in the chapter were the interesting parallels between Dany and Arianne, with the latter looking a lot less capable and prepared to meet the challenges ahead.

- Unlike Arianne who hardly knew her brother, Dany spent her entire childhood around Viserys. Arianne makes the wrong assumption at the end of the chapter concerning Dany's motives. She also thinks Quentyn would have looked quite foolish on dragon back, but the boy did make a bold attempt.. Hmmm...

- Ser Wun Wun noted the similar thinking of both women on Darkstar and Daario, but whilst Dany might be free of her attachment to Daario, Arianne looks to be eager to form a new one with Daemon.

- Daemon tells her that she's set on the dragon, but she lost her first real dragon in Viserys, and proceeds to lose two games of cyvasse. If the dragon has three heads, Arianne is a repeat loser. Doesn't bode well for her upcoming meetings.

- Not reading the book on how Dorne withstood the attack by dragons, again, not knowing the particulars of one's history is not a comforting sign.

As for why Doran sent Daemon with Arianne, I'm back to the old crackpot of Doran playing games within games and deliberately undermining his children :)

Yeah, Arianne assumes Dany would "frame" her own brother because maybe that's what she would have done to Quentyn... Daemon really seems to get her - could that be one of the reasons he was sent with her, he knows her better than she knows herself? :laugh:

If darkstar gets his hands on Dawn look out, the fear the red viper had for him pretty much sums up how dangerous this guy can be as the red viper was himself a badass also his squire daemon sand seems to think hotah is going to struggle against darkstar. More krackens appearing I find to be interesting as I wonder what role they will have or if it is somehow connected to Euron. I think Doran will die during this book leaving Arriane in command of Dorne which will ultimately lead dorne to war. I had never considered the possibility but could Dany start to become Mad. Her father wasn't always mad but then slowly faded into madness just something to think about. Also these elephants that are fighting with the GC are they normal or can we expect something similar to the one's in LOTR if so that would be crazy but rendered useless against dragons. Also I don't know if this has any significance but cersci always believed that Aurane Waters looked like a Targ in particular Rhaegar. I height it weird now that he's the Lord of Waters.

Archived