It's really sad.

#2 ServantOnIce

ServantOnIce

Council Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

Saw it on Twitter . .. . . just horrible . . . . .

#3 Claire of House Thorpe

Claire of House Thorpe

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:45 AM

This is a sad thing...hopefully, he'll have a few months to live his life.

#4 The Dragon has three heads

The Dragon has three heads

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

...bad day in Bosnia...

It takes a strong will to forgo treatment. Respect.

#5 lozeldatkm

lozeldatkm

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

How can they possibly replace him? Ilyn Payne winds up having a more significant role in later books, and Wilko Johnson was the perfect actor for the role.

#6 King of the Road

King of the Road

Council Member

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

How can they possibly replace him? Ilyn Payne winds up having a more significant role in later books, and Wilko Johnson was the perfect actor for the role.

Out of respect you give his roles to another character. He definitely left an impression on the character despite only appearing in a few episodes, he'll be missed by fans of GoT and ASoIaF. Replace his role as Jaime's sparring partner with another knight.

#7 Nezzer

Nezzer

Slayer of Pies

• Banned
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:14 AM

Out of respect you give his roles to another character. He definitely left an impression on the character despite only appearing in a few episodes, he'll be missed by fans of GoT and ASoIaF. Replace his role as Jaime's sparring partner with another knight.

Yeah, it could just be a mute knight or a mute master-at-arms.

#8 ServantOnIce

ServantOnIce

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

Yeah, it could just be a mute knight or a mute master-at-arms.

Because he didn't have a speaking role, the role like Ser Gregor and others can be reassigned. The Show must go on!

#9 The Anti-Targ

The Anti-Targ

Socially liberal, morally conservative

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

The "good" thing about cancer is that you don't die suddenly and you can express an opinion on these sorts of matters if you so wish. He might want to see the character continue in the TV series. I do hope he gets a chance to tell HBO what he would like to see done with Ser Ilyn in Season 4 and beyond, and that HBO respects and acts on his wishes.

#10 scotcat

scotcat

Noble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

This is very sad news. Cancer is a horrible thing, my thoughts are with him and his family

#11 King of the Road

King of the Road

Council Member

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

The "good" thing about cancer is that you don't die suddenly and you can express an opinion on these sorts of matters if you so wish. He might want to see the character continue in the TV series. I do hope he gets a chance to tell HBO what he would like to see done with Ser Ilyn in Season 4 and beyond, and that HBO respects and acts on his wishes.

That would be great, he does deserve some input on where HBO take Ilyn Payne.

#12 Lion of Judah

Lion of Judah

Lions Never Cower.

• Members
  • 5,161 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

I didn't notice this unti now, very sorry to hear that he has cancer. My condolences.

#13 Eira Seren

Eira Seren

Edd, fetch the lint roller

• Members
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

my thoughts go out to Mr. Johnson and his family.

#14 Esa1996

Esa1996

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

Neither does it kill you instantly, but with some luck it won't kill you at all. My grandfather had cancer some 15 years ago and he's still going strong. I don't know what pancreatic cancer is not being a native English speaker so I don't know how bad it is, but good luck to Mr. Johnson

#15 Louis Cachet

Louis Cachet

Landed Knight

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

He was amazing in Dr Feelgood, Such a shame.

#16 Aegnor

Aegnor

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

Neither does it kill you instantly, but with some luck it won't kill you at all. My grandfather had cancer some 15 years ago and he's still going strong. I don't know what pancreatic cancer is not being a native English speaker so I don't know how bad it is, but good luck to Mr. Johnson

Pancreatic cancer would be treatable if it were found early, the problem with it though is that by the time there are any symptoms it is too late. It is almost never caught in time. Three quarters die within a year, only 6% live past 5 years. Essentially it is a death sentence.

#17 Dibil

Dibil

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:22 PM

Such a shame. Ilyn was always entertaining to watch, skulking around silently like he did. A real unsettling character whom Wilko played well.

Edited by Dibil, 11 June 2014 - 12:24 PM.

#18 Esa1996

Esa1996

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:35 PM

Such a shame. Ilyn was always entertaining to watch, skulking around silently like he did. A real unsettling character whom Wilko played well.

You probably didn't notice but these news are over a year old. The original news was that it was untreatable, but a few months back, they discovered that it had not been as aggressive as they though it would be so Wilko went to a surgery to remove it. Haven't heard much news since then, but his chances are already a lot better than they were originally estimated to be.

#19 boojam

boojam

Council Member

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:55 AM

One notices that over at the N.Y. Times George wants HBO to go with 13 episodes a season now.

http://www.nytimes.c...hrones-too.html

I think this S4E9 is a good argument for that.

[Removed , wrong thread.]

Edited by boojam, 12 June 2014 - 04:50 PM.

#20 Abaddon

Abaddon

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:06 PM

So, they could barely finish 10 episodes in the year, and you think that makes a good argument for them to attempt 13?  I think you're arguing in the wrong direction...  :unsure: