Small questions v.10004

Angalin

I'm re-reading game of thrones. In Ned II he and Robert are discussing who will replace Robert Arryn as warden of the east. Robert has chose. Jaime. And Ned discusses the fact that he is also a successor to the west / casterly rock so that's too much power for one man / one house.

I thought because Jaime was in the kingsguard he couldn't be the heir to casterly rock. Doesn't Tyrion discuss that later on? Would Jaime even be able to be warden of the east?

Many think that this is a miltary title, not land and therefore he could be made Warden.

IMO it is simply that this was one of the first scenes he wrote, before he went back and wrote the rules. It was too important too be the overall story to be scratched, and he had to have a reason for the rife between Ned and Robert, so it could not be changed.

Many think that this is a miltary title, not land and therefore he could be made Warden.

IMO it is simply that this was one of the first scenes he wrote, before he went back and wrote the rules. It was too important too be the overall story to be scratched, and he had to have a reason for the rife between Ned and Robert, so it could not be changed.

Isn't it also a way to show the hostile takeover going on to Robert's regency by the Lannisters? And to show that Robert was entirely uncaring that he was letting it happen.

I thought I read somewhere that the last time the regional wardens were activated was during the War of the Ninepenny Kings. This would seem to lend evidence to the office being military in practice.

Is there a plausible and well-received fan theory on that weird time-loop Tyrion experiences on the river in ADwD? It's such a surreal and utterly unexpected scifi-ish moment... and then nothing. Noone in the books comments on it or gives it more than a glancing consideration.

Any ideas out there on what it might be?

Is this really the 1004th version of this.

No it isn't, its the 10,004th version of this thread. Try to avoid triple posting so that we don't get to number 10,005 anytime soon.

ETA: The Knight of Stony Sept was Ser Wilbert. He was killed by Lannister raiders. His sons rode with Robb Stark.

How long has the citadel been training maesters? And did they serve all 7 kingdoms before they bent the knee to Aegon?

I believe they served all seven of the kingdoms prior to The Conquest, however I am not entirely sure. Although the AWoIaF App doesn't say when the maesters began it does have a few other interesting facts that point to the maesters being very, very old.

The app says that while Oldtown is a very large city it is only the second largest city in Westeros. However the app also says that it is byfar the oldest city. I'm not sure which came first, the city or the maesters (my money is on the city) but I would assume that their origination is pretty close together.

Is there a plausible and well-received fan theory on that weird time-loop Tyrion experiences on the river in ADwD? It's such a surreal and utterly unexpected scifi-ish moment... and then nothing. Noone in the books comments on it or gives it more than a glancing consideration.

Wait.... what time loop are you referencing?

If Ser Bonifer Hasty and his Holy Hundred were fanatics for the Seven, why did they ally with Stannis after Renly died? Presumably because they thought he was the legitimate king, but if so, why go to Joffrey's side after the Blackwater?

My guess would be because they were there with Renly's forces when Renly died. They were 100 men, surrounded by Stannis and his men plus all the men going over to Stannis after Renly's death. They might be pious but they're not stupid.

Finally my own question. How did Jon know that Lady and Nymeria were not with Arya and Sansa in AGoT? Here is the specific excerpt I am talking about:

The rest of the afternoon passed as if in a dream. Jon could not have said where he walked, what he did, who he spoke with. Ghost was with him, he knew that much. The silent presence of the direwolf gave him comfort. The girls do not even have that much, he thought. Their wolves might have kept them safe, but Lady is dead and Nymeria’s lost, they’re all alone.

This doesn't seem like the kind of relevant information that would be passed along by raven, so how does Jon know this? Is this evidence that he was warging early on without realizing it? In a "wolf-dream" Ghost thinks about the sisters that he lost and how he could "no longer smell their scent", so had Jon learned of this via warging in his sleep and never realized he shouldn't know this? Or is it a slip up by GRRM?

This doesn't seem like the kind of relevant information that would be passed along by raven, so how does Jon know this? Is this evidence that he was warging early on without realizing it? In a "wolf-dream" Ghost thinks about the sisters that he lost and how he could "no longer smell their scent", so had Jon learned of this via warging in his sleep and never realized he shouldn't know this? Or is it a slip up by GRRM?

News travels fast by raven, and Arya being found would have made news.

Did Bittersteel have any children?

I think he was saving himself for Shiera. I don't think he had any kids, except the possibility having a few kids through some prostitutes.

I think it might be a nod to Fevre Dream

I assume they're talking about the part where the shy maid crosses the bridge (not sure about the name, but the one with the stone men) and then crosses it again. They also pass the same ship twice i think. I really didn't understand the meaning behind it either to be honest, but i chose not to get my brain twisted trying to figure it out.

Archived