[book spoilers] Nitpick without repurcussions

Winter's Knight

I'm pretty sure the total number the Lannisters can field is around 60,000.

But at this point in the story, after the battle of the camps, Oxcross, they certainly don't have 60000 troops. They lost tens of thousands of men between those two battles. Thats also not taking into account all the losses through desertion and disease either.

But at this point in the story, after the battle of the camps, Oxcross, they certainly don't have 60000 troops. They lost tens of thousands of men between those two battles. Thats also not taking into account all the losses through desertion and disease either.

While that is true, they also could levy new forces out of Casterly Rock - I may be confusing the show with the books, but I'm pretty sure I recall them mentioning new forces in Season #2.

So, in Season #1, we know that they mention 60,000 for Lannisters (Tywin says this when he gives Jaime half of the forces to contain Riverrun).

If my memory serves regarding season #2, they should have been able to replace many of the losses.

Now, in Season #3, Lady Olenna provides us with a # of 12,000 for the Tyrells - & this is mentioned as the original contribution, not the current strength - so the 12/60 ratio, if not completely accurate, should be in the ballpark.

Compare that against Robb, who is season #1 is mentioned as having 20,000. Freys would have tacked on another 4,000 (I believe that's the # mentioned in Season #1). Now, we are to also believe that 10,000 of the 20,000 are Karstarks. Of course, this is before any strength provided by the Tully's & their bannermen (based on the books that should be a lot; but, we've seen that the show is changing strength of forces greatly).

While that is true, they also could levy new forces out of Casterly Rock - I may be confusing the show with the books, but I'm pretty sure I recall them mentioning new forces in Season #2.

So, in Season #1, we know that they mention 60,000 for Lannisters (Tywin says this when he gives Jaime half of the forces to contain Riverrun).

If my memory serves regarding season #2, they should have been able to replace many of the losses.

Now, in Season #3, Lady Olenna provides us with a # of 12,000 for the Tyrells - & this is mentioned as the original contribution, not the current strength - so the 12/60 ratio, if not completely accurate, should be in the ballpark.

Compare that against Robb, who is season #1 is mentioned as having 20,000. Freys would have tacked on another 4,000 (I believe that's the # mentioned in Season #1). Now, we are to also believe that 10,000 of the 20,000 are Karstarks. Of course, this is before any strength provided by the Tully's & their bannermen (based on the books that should be a lot; but, we've seen that the show is changing strength of forces greatly).

Well when George says he can't even recall the eye color of some character and has to get help, I think ol GRRM puts a wet thumb in the air when comes to keeping up with logistics.

The show runners also seem to have a detached feeling about such things in the series.

Seems they need a 'checker' who likes to keep track of details , which would even fix some of George's looseness.

I must have missed something (quite possibly) but I feel like they never made it clear that the Unsullied are eunuchs.

I know that before introducing the officers, Missandei says something in the lines "before they are cut" but how can any non-book reader translate it to getting their junk chucked off?

I know that before introducing the officers, Missandei says something in the lines "before they are cut" but how can any non-book reader translate it to getting their junk chucked off?

I've no idea how anybody that didn't read the books is following it at all. I've read the books and I am getting a little lost with some of it. Frankly at times it seems like just a lot of hairy blokes that need a wash growling at each other.

Alot of it is I think just the loss of scale, the wildings appear to be a few people and a cgied giant, the battle at the fist of the first men, well that was one walker getting burnt. So the whole story of the battle and retreat back to casters becomes almost meaningless, because there wasn't a visual battle. An just a few cold/unwashed/hairy people walking back to crasters to complain about food and cold.

It's quickly becomes scenes of people talking/shouting/growling to each other, about stuff. Some of those scenes happen to be great, Jamie in the bath was good. The scene with Grey worm was good. Stannis with his daughter not so much, Theon with Ramsey not so much.

Alot of it is I think just the loss of scale, the wildings appear to be a few people and a cgied giant, the battle at the fist of the first men, well that was one walker getting burnt. So the whole story of the battle and retreat back to casters becomes almost meaningless, because there wasn't a visual battle. An just a few cold/unwashed/hairy people walking back to crasters to complain about food and cold.

Don't forget the WW horse art that Mance et al discovered!

Tywin cannot decide how to pronounce Tyrell...

He also pronounced Sansa differently within a couple of sentences of each other. But I forgive him on account of being great actor perfect for role and seems to bring out the best in any actor in a scene with him.

Archived