Tyrion Lannister sexist?

Four-Eyed Crow

Jon. Either way, it's irrelevant. The OP is about Tyrion, not other male characters.

I'm gonna add in Sam as least sexist man in ASOIAF.

He only ever had consensual sex with a woman whom he both respects and desires and he values the women in his life highly, ie his mum and sisters.

Compared to a lot of his fellow characters, i think Tyrion treats women fairly well, as long as they treat him well. He has his moments, the "bedwarmer" of Illyrio's seems to have gotten him on a bad day, and he did murder his ex-girlfriend, Shae, but to be fair he evened things out a bit on the gender equality front by murdering his father on the same visit. He treated Shae pretty well until she betrayed him at his "trial", and he seems to have a certain amount of respect for Alayaya and Chataya. He doesn't take advantage of Sansa or Penny because he feels sorry for them, and a lot of his contemporaries would be quite happy to press their marital rights in Sansa or "comfort" Penny for their own ends. He uses whores because he feels that they'll at least be honest with him, he wants the sex and they want the money, and as far as i'm aware, he usually pays up, as hey, a Lannister always does.

The little guy is practically a member of Westeros' Women's Lib compared to Randyll Tarly (tough on girlyness and tough on the causes of girlyness..but then objects to Brienne acting like a man).

Even if she was a prostitute Tyrion should be smart enough that Tywin was having her gang raped.

You give Tyrion too much credit. No one would be able to think clearly after the Tysha incident.

I'm curious to see someone try and build an argument that Tyrion is not.

It would be impossible to build a valid case that he's not sexist. One might work on his particular brand of sexism being a little different than what's normal for most of the men in his society. Being not only raised without a mother but being blamed for her death, being sexually tormented as an infant by hisolder sister, being rejected as hideous by women, etc, etc, could color a man's attitudes toward the opposite sex.

None of which changes his actions.

In this thread a lot of people have a problem of not knowing what sexism is and not understanding that hate or violence do not need to come from being sexist.

If he was homosexual and treated male prostitutes/sex slaves violently would you say he is sexist towards men?

Did he ever make a general statement that women are lesser beings, not capable or intelligent?

Did he say Penny better not arm herself because she is a woman?

Did he ever object to a woman holding a certain position simply because she is a woman?

I always wondered regarding Tysha, whether Tyrion realized that she was actually raped but didn't care because she was a prostitute or he thought that she was "working" when she had sex with the Lannister men - Tyrion was 13 at that time and if Tysha was too scared to fight back then it would be really easy for him to misunderstand what was going on.

Is there any quote in the books proving either way? I came across this in my ADWD re-read (p.208) but it is fairly ambiguous:

"He thought of Tysha and wondered where whores go. Why not Volantis? Perhaps I'll find her there. A man should cling to hope. He wondered what he would say to her. I am sorry that I let them rape you, love. I thought you were a whore. Can you find it in your heart to forgive me?"

Tired of all these threads applying 21st century morality to medieval times. Find me a man in medieval society that wasn't "sexist". Even Ned believed women were the gentler sex and should stick to their duties.

This. Either some people are way, way too sensitive or don't read enough other books.

I always wondered regarding Tysha, whether Tyrion realized that she was actually raped but didn't care because she was a prostitute or he thought that she was "working" when she had sex with the Lannister men - Tyrion was 13 at that time and if Tysha was too scared to fight back then it would be really easy for him to misunderstand what was going on.

Is there any quote in the books proving either way? I came across this in my ADWD re-read (p.208) but it is fairly ambiguous:

"He thought of Tysha and wondered where whores go. Why not Volantis? Perhaps I'll find her there. A man should cling to hope. He wondered what he would say to her. I am sorry that I let them rape you, love. I thought you were a whore. Can you find it in your heart to forgive me?"

Of course he knew. He's not an idiot - a 13 year old who was a virgin until two weeks ago wouldn't agree to be paid to have sex with a whole barrack of soldiers. He seriously considered murdering his father because of this whole incident back in AGOT.

You give Tyrion too much credit. No one would be able to think clearly after the Tysha incident.

It has been thirteen years since the incident before he thinks about it in the books, if he still isn't able to put it together that the girl was gang raped then he is more naive then both Ned and AGOT Sansa.

Well, he doesn't actively mistreat all women, and on a sliding scale of misogyny he's not as bad off as Randyll Tarly or Stannis Baratheon.

actually I find Tyrion worse than Randyll(randyll stoped the bet . tyrion would have participated in it) or stannis (he seems to be WAY out of his comfort zone around women)

in westeros no there is not sexism in westeros - the concept wouldn't even make sense to the characters that "exist" there - it would be an anachronism. According to modern perception yes and I mean modern - like 1980 +. I am a law currently a Law school student and you probably didn't know this but marital rape was legal in the U.S. until the 70's. That's the 1970s not the 1870's. So a husband could legally rape his wife in all 50 states in 1970. So when we project our morality on a fantasy series we must remember we are far from perfect and we have miles to go to achieve gender equality in the U.S. let alone holding westeros up to our standards of morality and gender relations.

Archived