Daario Naharis Recast

Westeros

As a huge fan of Ed Skrein I'm disappointed, plus I dislike recasting in general.

I think the suggestions about dubbing/ADR could be right, I was surprised when I heard him on there and he mentioned having speech coaching for the show so maybe it wasn't enough.

I'm kind of on the fence about this. The new actor deserves the benefit of the doubt but I think Ed Skrein did a good job capturing the essence of Daario. Plus, the change is just jarring in the sense that we have built over the season a conception of what Daario is/looks and now we're going to have to make a second one yet still believe they're the same person. I for one can't do that. The first actor that plays a character is the way I almost always imagine a character.

ADR = Dubbing or re-recording ("Automated Dialogue Replacement"). It's a film industry term for when they hire someone to re-record dialogue over the screen when the original actor (in this case, Ed Skrein) doesn't have the right sound or accent for the role. Or more often when the voice is obscured by the special effects or misrecorded or something.

This show has more recastings than an American soap opera. We have Karstark, Dondarrion, the Mountain, the High Septon, and soon Daario and Tommen on the list. Who knows how many more freaky changes will occur.

It's probably too late for the blue beard ("Oh, by the way my grace, do you mind if I dye my hair blue and grow out a beard?").

Come on though, most of those are very minor characters and it's important to remember that it's not done just on the whims of the executives. There are genuine reasons for all the recastings, as I'm sure there is with Ed Skrein's replacement.

Come on though, most of those are very minor characters and it's important to remember that it's not done just on the whims of the executives. There are genuine reasons for all the recastings, as I'm sure there is with Ed Skrein's replacement.

I agree. Daario has been in all of three episodes with maybe a max. of half an hour of total screen time, among a cast of at least a dozen characters more important than him. Those of us who have read the books know that he will have an important part to play later on, but to show watchers only he's a drop in the bucket. I doubt many of them will remember him seven months from now when season 4 rolls around.

I noticed this today and was very worried about it. Not a huge fan of Daario in general, but a few of my show-only friends really noticed the character quite a bit. I don't really see how they're going to pull a switcheroo so easily with this one, where the mountain for example is at least going to be a huge dude regardless (though I didn't like the recast). The scene where Dany asks Jorah what happened with Daario really puts him in the spotlight, and it's going to be noticed at the very least.

Archived