Moments of Foreshadowing 6

Fire Eater

Syrio right before the incident with Meryn Trant and thr Lannister guardsmen tells Arya that when they return to Winterfell it may be time to put this Needle in her hand. Perhaps when Arya does return to Winterfell it will be with Needle in hand, to take.vengeance?

exact quote:

“I am thinking that when we are reaching this Winterfell of yours, it will be time to put this needle in your hand.”

Well, I think that Needle is related to Arya's identity. So when she will reach Winterfell it will be time to take Needle to her hand,show her real face and claim the identity of Arya of House Stark again.

exact quote:

I am thinking that when we are reaching this Winterfell of yours, it will be time to put this needle in your hand.

Well, I think that Needle is related to Arya's identity. So when she will reach Winterfell it will be time to take Needle to her hand,show her real face and claim the identity of Arya of House Stark again.

We agree then(more or less).

Alternatively if you follow the Jon foreshadowing with the Needle frozen in her hand then Arya returning to WF with Needle in her hand foreshadows she will die there. Personally dont follow that but always explore the possibilities!

WINDS SPOILER AHEAD (I don't know how to use spoiler tags and I'm too dim to figure it out.)

What do you think of when you read elephants? Aegon, right? Me too. Ok, I think the cyvasse Tyrion plays has a lot of foreshadowing and other clues going on. (I know some of this has been discussed here and elsewhere so forgive me if you find this repetitive.)

Aboard the Shy Maid we first observe Tyrion play Cyvasse with Haldon. Haldon's game has wooden pieces and no colors are decribed but, "Tyrion almost grabbed his dragon but thought better of it." He recalled losing his dragon to a trebuchet in his last game. Later Tyrion did reach for his dragon and defeated the halfmaester. Viserion's gonna get wacked.

The next game we see him play is against Aegon and, "The dwarf pushed his black dragon across a range of mountains." Note that Tyrion is playing or dancing with the Black Dragon here.

In that same chapter, Tyrion plays against a Volantene who "moved his catapult again, closed his hand around Tyrion's alabaster dragon, removed it from the board." see why I think Viserion's gonna get wacked? And it looks like it might be from one if the six trebuchets at Meereen. My guess would be Dragonbreaker.

Tyrion plays cyvasse with the cook aboard the stinky steward but with little description. He does leave one game needing clear his head of rum and elephants. And what do elephants allude to?

After crushing Brown Ben in several games, Tyrion taps his dragon and notes that he was lucky. Later when Tyrion negotiates his escape with Brown Ben he spies a Cyvasse table and remarks his "throat is as dry as an old bone." That's a pretty curious way to say you're thirsty. But bones are white. Like alabaster.

In WINDS, when Brown Ben decides to turn his cloak yet again and Jorah cuts down a Yunkish soldier, scattering cyvasse pieces, the white dragon lands at Tyrion's feet. Tyrion picks it up and wipes blood from it. So maybe Viserion just gets hurt. Well, Tyrion likes cripples and broken things, doesn't he? See where this going?

WINDS SPOILER AHEAD (I don't know how to use spoiler tags and I'm too dim to figure it out.)

What do you think of when you read elephants? Aegon, right? Me too. Ok, I think the cyvasse Tyrion plays has a lot of foreshadowing and other clues going on. (I know some of this has been discussed here and elsewhere so forgive me if you find this repetitive.)

Aboard the Shy Maid we first observe Tyrion play Cyvasse with Haldon. Haldon's game has wooden pieces and no colors are decribed but, "Tyrion almost grabbed his dragon but thought better of it." He recalled losing his dragon to a trebuchet in his last game. Later Tyrion did reach for his dragon and defeated the halfmaester. Viserion's gonna get wacked.

The next game we see him play is against Aegon and, "The dwarf pushed his black dragon across a range of mountains." Note that Tyrion is playing or dancing with the Black Dragon here.

In that same chapter, Tyrion plays against a Volantene who "moved his catapult again, closed his hand around Tyrion's alabaster dragon, removed it from the board." see why I think Viserion's gonna get wacked? And it looks like it might be from one if the six trebuchets at Meereen. My guess would be Dragonbreaker.

Tyrion plays cyvasse with the cook aboard the stinky steward but with little description. He does leave one game needing clear his head of rum and elephants. And what do elephants allude to?

After crushing Brown Ben in several games, Tyrion taps his dragon and notes that he was lucky. Later when Tyrion negotiates his escape with Brown Ben he spies a Cyvasse table and remarks his "throat is as dry as an old bone." That's a pretty curious way to say you're thirsty. But bones are white. Like alabaster.

In WINDS, when Brown Ben decides to turn his cloak yet again and Jorah cuts down a Yunkish soldier, scattering cyvasse pieces, the white dragon lands at Tyrion's feet. Tyrion picks it up and wipes blood from it. So maybe Viserion just gets hurt. Well, Tyrion likes cripples and broken things, doesn't he? See where this going?

I do indeed and it makes me sad. I dont want.Tyrion to be a Dragonrider.

Not saying.that isnt stron foreshadowing.though. Also your quote about the Black Dragon and Mountains; Dany will move against Dorne, or will enter the 7ks through the Mountains of Dorne?

Regarding Tyrion, elephants and dragons in the posts above.

Interesting lines I have found and I have been considering them in light of other lines about Tyrion and the alabastor Visererion.

Two times Tyrion has a white dwarf elephant in his thoughts.

Tyrion sees a white dwarf elephant pulling a two wheeled cart.

Later he sees another white dwarf elephant and thinks

For half a heartbeat he thought he glimpsed Illyrio Mopatis, but it was only one of those white dwarf elephants passing the front door.

Twice we have seen Tyrion see or think about a white dwarf elephant and then the elephant is linked in his mind with Illyrio Mopatis.

Possibilities I have mulled over. Tyrion himself has been sent on a mission to help Aegon which originally included Aegon and Dany uniting with her dragons and Dorne siding with them to take the iron throne.

The two wheeled cart..could represent Dorne..with Doran Martell since he sits in a two wheeled cart due to his gout. However a two wheeled cart could also just simply represent a two legged man. Aegon himself.

The white dwarf elephant is Tyrion himself who is pulling the cart.

I agree that Tyrion is linked in many ways within the story with foreshadowing about the white dragon dragon Viserion.

I also think Viserion is the most intelligent of the three dragons and the one that I think BR might have some interest in.

The idea that for half a heartbeat Tyrion thought he saw Illyrio could be the smokescreen so to speak.

Tyrion and his white dragon may find themselves north of the Wall looking for or helping Jon Snow. That storyline is not yet finished.

Just a few thoughts. Not sure if any of it will pan out but I wanted to add those two lines above for your consideration.

Really not sure if this is foreshadowing or just a well used phrase but when Jon is talking to Stannis and his queens men one of them mentions the spear wives being fighters.

"Not for me Ser.I want no Widows wailing in my wake.

Could be nothing though it did stand out as I read it,widows Wail being the Valryian steel sword that Joff owned I believe..

Difficult to imigane what this would mean though?

In the ACOK Sansa chapter here she finally has her moon blood, she meets with cersei who says "Between Tyrion and Lord Stannis, everything I eat tastes of ash." More foreshadowing of Cersei setting the world on fire..... Well, at least KL.

more on Cersei setting KL on fire:

From the Princess and the Queen:

When a crazed one-handed prophet called the Shepherd began to rant against dragons, not just the ones who were coming to attack them, but all dragons everywhere, the crowd, half-crazed themselves, listened. “When the dragons come,” he shrieked, “your flesh will burn and blister and turn to ash. Your wives will dance in gowns of fire, shrieking as they burn, lewd and naked underneath the flames. And you shall see your little children weeping, weeping till their eyes do melt and slide like jelly down their faces, till their pink flesh falls black and crackling from their bones. The Stranger comes,

he comes, he comes, to scourge us for our sins.”

foreshadowing of Cersei burning KL, with Aegon at the gates (when the dragons come) ?. Just like Aerys intended.

When a crazed one-handed prophet called the Shepherd began to rant against dragons, not just the ones who were coming to attack them, but all dragons everywhere, the crowd, half-crazed themselves, listened. “When the dragons come,” he shrieked, “your flesh will burn and blister and turn to ash. Your wives will dance in gowns of fire, shrieking as they burn, lewd and naked underneath the flames. And you shall see your little children weeping, weeping till their eyes do melt and slide like jelly down their faces, till their pink flesh falls black and crackling from their bones. The Stranger comes,

foreshadowing of Cersei burning KL, with Aegon at the gates (when the dragons come) ?. Just like Aerys intended.

:thumbsup:

I think it is more likely to be Jon towards the end of ADoS. The one ruling the city at the time, Rhaenyra, was later killed by her own brother, and Cersei will be killed by her brother, Jaime.

Ormund Hightower found himself caught between two armies. Thaddeus Rowan, the Lord of Goldengrove, and Tom Flowers, the Bastard of Bitterbridge, were bearing down on him from the northeast with a great host of mounted knights, whilst Ser Arlan Beesbury, Lord Alan Tarly, and Lord Owen Costayne had joined their power to cut off his retreat to Oldtown. When their hosts closed around him on the banks of the river Honeywine . . . Defeat seemed imminent . . . a dragon had come. The arrival of Prince Daeron and his dragon reversed the tide of battle. . . . Lord Hightower feasted Daeron on aurochs and strongwine and dubbed him with the storied longsword, Vigilance

I think in this case, things will be inverted a little. When Euron attacks Oldtown from the Honeywine River, Hightowers' bannermen will aid him arriving alongside Aegon, the dragon who came to aid Lord Hightower. Aegon will bring Lord Randyll Tarly, who defects to Connington and Aegon, along with Lord Mathis Rowan who was captured at SE, and made to bend the knee and pledge fealty to Aegon. Duck will be there as well, who was originally from Bitterbridge. Lord Hightower will knight Aegon as reward, and feast him. Daeron's dragon was the Blue Queen while Aegon dyed his hair blue making him a blue dragon so to speak.

I think it is more likely to be Jon towards the end of ADoS. The one ruling the city at the time, Rhaenyra, was later killed by her own brother, and Cersei will be killed by her brother, Jaime.

Ormund Hightower found himself caught between two armies. Thaddeus Rowan, the Lord of Goldengrove, and Tom Flowers, the Bastard of Bitterbridge, were bearing down on him from the northeast with a great host of mounted knights, whilst Ser Arlan Beesbury, Lord Alan Tarly, and Lord Owen Costayne had joined their power to cut off his retreat to Oldtown. When their hosts closed around him on the banks of the river Honeywine . . . Defeat seemed imminent . . . a dragon had come. The arrival of Prince Daeron and his dragon reversed the tide of battle. . . . Lord Hightower feasted Daeron on aurochs and strongwine and dubbed him with the storied longsword, Vigilance

I think in this case, things will be inverted a little. When Euron attacks Oldtown from the Honeywine River, Hightowers' bannermen will aid him arriving alongside Aegon, the dragon who came to aid Lord Hightower. Aegon will bring Lord Randyll Tarly, who defects to Connington and Aegon, along with Lord Mathis Rowan who was captured at SE, and made to bend the knee and pledge fealty to Aegon. Duck will be there as well, who was originally from Bitterbridge. Lord Hightower will knight Aegon as reward, and feast him

The theory of Euron attacking Oldtown is pretty good. But I have trouble believing Euron´s role in the story is just to attack Oldtown in order for Aegon to get support in the Reach after he saves the city.

Isn´t he foreshadowed as the "black Eye"/great other´s Champion quite a lot?

i think his actions will have drastic consequences. Some readers think that the Horn Sam brought south is actually the Horn of Winter. Maybe Euron will steal the horn before Aegon arrives.

ETA: Melisandre had a vision that many believe to be the ironborn attacking Oldtown. She describes it as, "heaviest blow".

Heaviest blow from which perspective? From melisandre´s POV, that´s just a random battle in the south that doesn´t really affect the war effort against the Others (and the Great other)..

Now, if in that battle, Euron (assuming he is the Great other´s Champion) gets the instrument to bring down the wall.. Now that could be understood as the "heaviest blow".

Somehow i doubt R’hllor shows her random stuff. I think the information she has is supposed to be useful for her mission.

Another Cersei burning KL foreshadowing from the same Tyrion chapter from above in ACOK:

Tyrion says, "A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."

If i were to make a list of passages that foreshadow Aegon + Arrianne, Or on a broader topic, the alliance between Aegon and house Martell...what would I be missing?

1)

She narrowed her eyes. “What is our heart’s desire?”

“Vengeance.” His voice was soft, as if he were afraid that someone might be listening. “Justice.” Prince Doran pressed the onyx dragon into her palm with his swollen, gouty fingers, and whispered, “Fire and blood.”

2)

Arianne played a game of cyvasse with Ser Daemon, and another one with Garibald Shells, and somehow managed to lose both. Ser Garibald was kind enough to say that she played a gallant game, but Daemon mocked her. "You have other pieces beside the dragon, princess. Try moving them sometime."

"I like the dragon."

3)

”He is highborn enough to make a worthy consort, she thought. Father would question my good sense, but our children would be as beautiful as dragonlords.

4)

Pretty boys had ever been her weakness, particularly the ones who were dark and dangerous as well. That was before, when I was just a girl, she told herself.

I am a woman now, my father’s daughter. I have learned that lesson.

5)

Doran Martell and his Norvoshi wife had spent half their marriage apart and the other half arguing. It was the only rash thing his father had ever done, to hear some tell it, the only time he had followed his heart instead of his head, and he had lived to rue it.

6)

She threw back the shutters and shivered as gooseprickles rose along her arms. There were clouds massing in the eastern sky. Sansa could see their walls of tumbled stone, their mighty keeps and barbicans. Wispy banners swirled from atop their towers and reached for the fast-fading stars. The sun was coming up behind them, and she watched them go from black to grey to a thousand shades of rose and gold and crimson. Soon the wind mushed them together, and there was only one castle where there had been two.
She heard the door open as her maids brought the hot water for her bath. They were both new to her service; Tyrion said the women who'd tended her previously had all been Cersei's spies, just as Sansa had always suspected. "Come see," she told them. "There's a castle in the sky."
They came to have a look. "It's made of gold." Shae had short dark hair and bold eyes. She did all that was asked of her, but sometimes she gave Sansa the most insolent looks. "A castle all of gold, there's a sight I'd like to see."
"A castle, is it?" Brella had to squint. "That tower's tumbling over, looks like. It's all ruins, that is."

Theon's second to last chapter in ACOK, he dreams of the millers wife.

"Last night in his dream he had been in bed with her once again, but this time she had teeth above and below, and she tore out his throat as she was gnawing off his manhood."

Kind of a bit of foreshadowing to his Reekening. Obviously, Theon doesn't seem to have his dingaling anymore and maybe losing his throat is akin to losing his identity, his own voice. Or it could mean he will have his throat slashed.

Most of you dont believe in any gods in Westeros and the Seven are the lamest of all in your eyes. Yet I think GRRM gave secondary evidences about their existence and their wroth as well.

The burning gods cast a pretty light, wreathed in their robes of shifting flame, red and orange and yellow. Septon Barre had once told Davos how they’d been carved from the masts of the ships that had carried the first Targaryens from Valyria. Over the centuries, they had been painted and repainted, gilded, silvered, jeweled. “Their beauty will make them more pleasing to R’hllor,” Melisandre said when she told Stannis to pull them down and drag them out the castle gates.

Jon went to cut more branches, snapping each one in two before tossing it into the flames. The tree had been dead a long time, but it seemed to live again in the fire, as fiery dancers woke within each stick of wood to whirl and spin in their glowing gowns of yellow, red, and orange.

In his dreams the river was still aflame and demons danced upon the waters with fiery whips in their hands, while men blackened and burned beneath the lash. “Mother, have mercy,” Davos prayed. “Save me, gentle Mother, save us all. My luck is gone, and my sons.” He was weeping freely now, salt tears streaming down his cheeks. “The fire took it all... the fire...”

Perhaps it was only wind blowing against the rock, or the sound of the sea on the shore, but for an instant Davos Seaworth heard her answer. “You called the fire,” she whispered, her voice as faint as the sound of waves in a seashell, sad and soft. “You burned us... burned us... burrrmed usssssss.”

“It was her!” Davos cried. “Mother, don’t forsake us. It was her who burned you, the red woman, Melisandre, her!”

“It was her work,” Davos said again, more weakly. Her work, and yours, onion knight. You rowed her into Storm’s End in the black of night, so she might loose her shadow child. You are not guiltless, no. You rode beneath her banner and flew it from your mast. You watched the Seven burn at Dragonstone, and did nothing. She gave the Father’s justice to the fire, and the Mother’s mercy, and the wisdom of the Crone. Smith and Stranger, Maid and Warrior, she burnt them all to the glory of her cruel god, and you stood and held your tongue. Even when she killed old Maester Cressen, even then, you did nothing.

The galley might be Joffrey’s, he realized suddenly. If he spoke the wrong name now, she would abandon him to his fate. But no, her hull was striped. She was Lysene, she was Salladhor Saan’s. The Mother sent her here, the Mother in her mercy. She had a task for him. Stannis lives, he knew then. I have a king still. And sons, I have other sons, and a wife loyal and loving. How could he have forgotten? The Mother was merciful indeed.

The statues of the Seven were carved from the ships of the first Targaryens came to Dragonstone. They were long dead and when they are st to fire, their wroth awakened as foreshadowed in Jon's fire. Demons upon the waters with flaming whips are like suggests a divine punsihment sent by the Seven. Davos had 7 sons and 4 of them died at the Blackwater for the guilts of Davos. But Mother was merciful and spared Davos because she has tasks for Davos. Since the Mother cares for children, his first task can be saving Edric from Melisandre's flames. His next task is most likely Rickon. There must be another child Davos has to save for his 3 children alive to live.

Seventeen and new to knighthood, Rhaegar Targaryen had worn black plate over golden ringmail when he cantered onto the lists. Long streamers of red and gold and orange silk had floated behind his helm, like flames. Two of her uncles fell before his lance, along with a dozen of her father’s finest jousters, the flower of the west. By night the prince played his silver harp and made her weep. When she had been presented to him, Cersei had almost drowned in the depths of his sad purple eyes. He has been wounded, she recalled thinking, but I will mend his hurt when we are wed.

When he [Doran] raised his head to look at her, his dark eyes were clouded with pain. Is that the gout? Arianne wondered. Or is it me? “A strange and subtle folk, the Volantenes,” he muttered, as he put the elephant aside. “I saw Volantis once, on my way to Norvos, where I first met Mellario. The bells were ringing, and the bears danced down the steps. Areo will recall the day.”

“I remember,” echoed Areo Hotah in his deep voice. “The bears danced and the bells rang, and the prince wore red and gold and orange. My lady asked me who it was who shone so bright.”

There is a very interesting parallel here. Doran and Mellario's marriage was unhappy. Rhaegar and Cersei's meeting was compared to the first meeting of Doran and Mellario. Rhaegar was full on fire at Lannisport. He put down all the jousters who oppose him. He played his harp to make Cersei cry. I think Rhaegar did his best to impress Cersei and was willing to marry her. If we also remember Barristan's "careful selection of words" about Elia, we can be quite sure that Rhaegar and Elia did not have a good marriage and they have very little love between them.

Although Rhaegar heavily offended Dorne by disappearing with Lyanna, he may still have felt disappointed by their unwilling support to his cause. Following this, did he plan to impregnate Elia and let her die in childbirth so that he can be free to marry both Cersei and Lyanna? If he did have such a thought (i.e. wishing that his wife die in childbirth), then it makes very fitting that his lover (instead of his wife) died on childbirth as a punishment of such vile thoughts.

Adventure stank.

She boasted sixty oars, a single sail, and a long lean hull that promised speed. Small, but she might serve, Quentyn thought when he saw her, but that was before he went aboard and got a good whiff of her. Pigs, was his first thought, but after a second sniff he changed his mind. Pigs had a cleaner smell. This stink was piss and rotting meat and night-soil, this was the reek of corpse flesh and weeping sores and wounds gone bad, so strong that it overwhelmed the salt air and fish smell of the harbor.

The captain of this ship was the only one who agreed to take Quentyn to Meeren. Of course the captain was a smuggler and Quentyn didnot go with him but the name of the ship and the way it smells night-soil gave me thinking. Here is some wikipedia information about Night-soil:

Night soil is a euphemism for human excrement collected at night from cesspools, privies, etc. and sometimes used as a fertilizer. Night soil is produced as a result of a waste management system in areas without community infrastructure such as a sewage treatment facility, or individual septic disposal. In this system of waste management, the human faeces are collected in solid form.

A gong farmer was the term used in Tudor England for a person employed to remove human excrement from privies and cesspits. Gong farmers were only allowed to work at night and the waste they collected had to be taken outside the city or town boundaries. They later became known as "night soil men" or "nightmen". In the Manchester area they were also known as the Midnight Mechanic.

Much of what is known about London's privies during the 17 and 18th centuries comes from witness statements describing what had been discovered among the human excrement, such as the corpses of unwanted infants.

When I read the corpses of unwanted infants among the human excrement in privies, it rang a bell because Bran Vras thinks that Quentyn's Adventure is doomed to fail from the beginning, which is in accordance with Doran's wishes.

As a matter of fact, Doran considered Quentyn as an unwanted infant.

"I [Aegon] am sick of cyvasse."

"Sick of losing to a dwarf you mean."

Young Griff arrayed his army for attack with dragon, elephants and heavy horse up front. A young man's formation, as bold as it is foolish. He risks all for the quick kill.

The dwarf pushed his black dragon across a range of mountains

Whenever Tyrion and Aegon play cyvasse, Tyrion always wins. We will see that later when Tyrion bests Aegon in the second Dance of Dragons, especially since he knows Aegon's main battle strategy. Tyrion will manage to push Aegon's forces into the Red Mountains of Dorne.

Lamprey, I don't think Doran meant to dispose of Quentyn. He plans to take up arms against the Iron Throne, and won't do that without a guarantee of victory, ie Dany's dragons. Quentyn marrying Dany would also mean Doran's son would be a king. Besides, Doran isn't shown to see his family as expendable.

In Jaime's last chapter of AFFC, he has a dream of a woman who's most certainly Joanna.

“I am not your sister, Jaime.” She raised a pale soft hand and pushed her hood back. “Have you forgotten me?”
Can I forget someone I never knew? The words caught in his throat. He did know her, but it had been so long...

“Will you forget your own lord father too? I wonder if you ever knew him, truly.” Her eyes were green, her hair spun gold. He could not tell how old she was. Fifteen, he thought, or fifty. She climbed the steps to stand above the bier. “He could never abide being laughed at. That was the thing he hated most.”

“Who are you?” He had to hear her say it.

“The question is, who are you?”

“This is a dream.”

“Is it?” She smiled sadly. “Count your hands, child.”

One. One hand, clasped tight around the sword hilt. Only one. “In my dreams I always have two hands.” He raised his right arm and stared uncomprehending at the ugliness of his stump.

“We all dream of things we cannot have. Tywin dreamed that his son would be a great knight, that his daughter would be a queen. He dreamed they would be so strong and brave and beautiful that no one would ever laugh at them.”

“I am a knight,” he told her, “and Cersei is a queen.”

A tear rolled down her cheek. The woman raised her hood again and turned her back on him. Jaime called after her, but already she was moving away, her skirt whispering lullabies as it brushed across the floor. Don’t leave me, he wanted to call, but of course she’d left them long ago.

This seems significant.

Jaime says, that in his dreams he always has two hands, but in this one, he has his stump. Of course this could be unreliable... But why put it there? Imo, George seems to suggest that this is more than just a normal dream, more like a vision.

Joanna talks to him about Tywin, and she tells him two things, besides asking him "who he is"... One, that Tywom could never stand being laughed at, and two, that he always wished for his son to be a knight and for his daughter to be a queen. Jaime seems confused, and rightfully so. He was a knight, and Cersei was a queen.

And that's it, after this the vision/dream is over and Jaime wakes up.

So... what is she hinting at? What's the thing that people could laugh at Tywin about? Is it that his son was a dwarf? Well, Jaime knows about this, this hardly justifies a vision... besides, Tyrion isn't mentioned even once. In this dream, the focus seems to be on Tywin and the twins. Cersei's downfall perhaps? But this is post-Tywin, he died before any of this happened... Tywin died with the knowledge, that his son was the Lord Commander of the King's Guard, and his daughter was Queen... or did he?

Archived