they were protecting jon. From what? (TOJ)

Maud

Well if Aegon was killed (and Rhaegar and Lyanna had married) Jon would be the next in line to the throne so would be killed like Aegon and Rhaella. Some people, including me, don't think Rhaegar was the glimmering model of perfection he's been said by some to be and that he was obsessed with TPTWP prophecy, he could think that if anyone took Lyanna and Jon away it mess it all up. The KG were following Rhaegar's orders protecting a member of the royal family so they couldn't back down.

I think what he means is this:

Ned would not have killed Lyanna, his sister, or Jon, his nephew.

His companions would have followed his wishes.

Why then did the KG and the northmen fight? Neither wants to hurt Lyanna and Jon, and I bet Ned would have protected his sister-hidden her at Winterfell, Greywater Watch, or with the Northern Mountain Clans, or even sent her to Essos, and the KG could have stayed with them

Oh come on, they were protecting him from certain death. How hard is that to grasp? The dude would be the target of every wannabe king, and as a babe with no older relative alive, his "rule" would no doubt be pretty short lived. Better to raise him to adulthood and let him earn his birthright.

Why then did the KG and the northmen fight? Neither wants to hurt Lyanna and Jon, and I bet Ned would have protected his sister-hidden her at Winterfell, Greywater Watch, or with the Northern Mountain Clans, or even sent her to Essos, and the KG could have stayed with them

Likely because, despite being her sister, Ned was also one of the primary instigators in the rebellion and a traitor to the crown as a result. You and I know that Ned wouldn't harm Jon, but Ser Gerold Hightower, Ser Arthur Dayne, and Ser Oswell Whent don't know that for certain.

The Kingsguard had absolutely no way to know that Ned wouldn't kill Jon. The son or daughter of Rhaegar Targaryen? You mean the dynasty that Ned just helped eradicate? It would have been foolish of them to think baby Jon would be spared. Robert certainly wouldn't have spared them, and Ned is Robert's right hand man. Sure it's possible Ned would want to spare his sister's child, but obviously the Kingsguard can't just assume the best case scenario, they aren't idiots. A child that Ned believes to be the result of his sister being raped? He just as easily could have wanted it dead.

The kingsguard just doesn't know what they'll do, so they had every good reason to protect Jon and Lyanna with their lives.

The KG didn't know what Ned and his companions would do.

They're most likely unaware of the falling out between Ned and Robert because of the murder of Rhaenys and Aegon. All the KG know is that Ned and all his companions were in KL around the time of the sack and the murders and here they are continuing to fight for Robert.

Also, remember even Lyanna was unsure of what Ned would do. She feared what Ned might do until he made her the promise. So even Ned's own sister at least suspected Ned might kill Jon.

As the Kingsguard would not ever surrender Aerys to the rebel side, they would likewise not hand over Jon, who to them is the rightful king, to Ned because because to them Ned is part of the rebel side and would be a enormous violation of their oath to protect the king.

Ned had been in King's Landing, where Rhaegar's other two young children had already been brutally killed. He was a primary member of the rebellion and Robert's BFF. Absolutely there was no way in hell they were letting him get anywhere near Jon. And even if they were certain he wouldn't hurt the baby (and obviously they couldn't be certain; Lyanna wasn't even certain and he was her brother), they also knew that Ned would never put Jon's rights over Robert's. They were fulfilling the primary mission of defending their king and the secondary mission of ensuring that their king's claim was maintained.

It might have been just as much about controlling Jon's upbringing as it was about protecting him physically. Ned would never kin slay although we can't be sure the KG knew that. However, Ned did not raise Jon to be a king. He rose Jon as a bastard and continued to protect Robert's regime.

The Kingsguard, sworn to protect the king, are not going to simply hand him over to a man who is not only a rebel, but a trusted friend of the leader of the rebellion and slayer of their prince. Especially not in the wake of Aerys' assassination and the murder of Rhaegar's other children.

It's also possible that Lyanna herself did not entirely trust Ned at that time, knowing of Ned's loyalty to Robert. We don't yet have enough information to determine what the state of Ned and Lyanna's relationship was at that stage.

We've seen glimpses of what occurred at the TOJ, but large portions of the story are still missing, and probably will remain unknown until Howland Reed shows up.

My interpretation is that Rhaegar ordered the three to stay with Lyanna and guard her no matter what, probably using a phrase like "die before you let anyone touch her" and because Aerys wasn't present they were bound by oath to obey the crown prince. So they did what they did because they'd been ordered to, even though it made no sense and they knew it. Because oath. Honor. You know how it is.

My interpretation is that Rhaegar ordered the three to stay with Lyanna and guard her no matter what, probably using a phrase like "die before you let anyone touch her" and because Aerys wasn't present they were bound by oath to obey the crown prince. So they did what they did because they'd been ordered to, even though it made no sense and they knew it. Because oath. Honor. You know how it is.

And for what has to be the dozenth time by now, that fails to explain what they were still doing there when Aegon, Aerys and Rhaegar were dead and the KG KNEW they were dead and that Viserys was unprotected.

Archived