Who is the Harpy: Hizdahr zo Loreq or Reznak mo Reznak

King Pellinore

Going off all the opinions and evidence from this thread, I'm more convinced that some oddball character will spring out from nowhere and say "Aha!, I was the Harpy the whole time and nobody suspected it". To which readers all over the world will respond

WTF!!!

Penny is the Harpy. It is known :P

Going off all the opinions and evidence from this thread, I'm more convinced that some oddball character will spring out from nowhere and say "Aha!, I was the Harpy the whole time and nobody suspected it". To which readers all over the world will respond

WTF!!!

GRRM doesn't do cheap "gotcha" moments. He's not a hack, he leaves clues. Whoever the Harpy is (and I'm still about 95% confident it's the Grace), there will have been clues to his or her identity. It's not going to be anything out of nowhere with no foreshadowing behind it.

GRRM doesn't do cheap "gotcha" moments. He's not a hack, he leaves clues. Whoever the Harpy is (and I'm still about 95% confident it's the Grace), there will have been clues to his or her identity. It's not going to be anything out of nowhere with no foreshadowing behind it.

Wrong. In WOW there will be a scene where Detective-Inspector Tyrion Lannister brings all of the suspects into the main hall of the Great Pyramid and lays out his case for why the real Harpy is really Galazza Galare. But then all of a sudden the lights will go out just after he finishes talking. By the time power is restored, the Green Grace will be lying dead on the floor of a crossbow wound and Tyrion will find himself the chief suspect for being the Harpy.

Wrong. In WOW there will be a scene where Detective-Inspector Tyrion Lannister brings all of the suspects into the main hall of the Great Pyramid and lays out his case for why the real Harpy is really Galazza Galare. But then all of a sudden the lights will go out just after he finishes talking. By the time power is restored, the Green Grace will be lying dead on the floor of a crossbow wound and Tyrion will find himself the chief suspect for being the Harpy.

:bowdown: Or someone will stand up in the middle of the trial and confess, Perry Mason-style.

The harpy need not be a single individual: whence my suggestion of the woman of House Pahl; one that apparently others found ap-Pahl-ing. They are described explicitly by Skahaz, plainly have sufficient motive, and, given the standing of their menfolk prior to Dany's arrival, the connections to set up the Harpy's sons.

Well harpy's are traditionally female, and the followers who do all the actual 'work' are known as sons of the harpy so that would indicate to me that the harpy is a female who is held in high enough esteem to be able to command men.

The Green Grace is certainly a contender IMO

• 1 year later...
If Dany leaves, skahaz is dead meat, and that's not just posturing on his part. He was the leader of "the modest pyramid of Kandaq", before dany came, and he has gained no overt power since. The brazen beasts wouldn't last a week.

I go back and forth between reznak and the green grace, but I keep coming back to two things that push me towards the green grace:

1. The cousin of the green grace's audience, "what he wanted was gold" for the weaver Elza's students who he "plucked from the auction block and gave to the loom", and daenerys fines instead for forgetting the old woman's name. He's ordered to give the weaver the finest loom money can buy.
In the next chapter they've all been raped and murdered.
I keep thinking that the green graces cousin... Instant revenge... House galare has some serious pull with the sons of the harpy.

2. Reznak feels more like a catspaw, exposed and running a network of spies, aware that no-one with the queen trusts him.
The green grace is anything but exposed. She can and does act much more boldly, she has the blessing of the gods of ghis, she hides her expressions behind a veil, always sad-eyed, always defending hizdahr, the yunkai, reznak without apology.

The only thing that niggles at me is quaithe. Beware the perfumed seneschal is a very strong warning. his position as the harpys most valuable asset could still justify that warning, but why no "beware the emerald Oracle?"

And hizdahr it's not, he broke too easily. Her poisoner yes, the harpy no

"The Harpy" is collectively the Merenesse nobility, so that includes the Green Grace and Danys husband, Hizdar zo Loraq. But the peace they offered was genuine and it was the Shavepate, Skahaz mo Kandaq (why do I always have to look Mereneese names up?) who having lost all his power poisoned the locusts. Daenerys's chapters in dance were very subtle and well written.

I urge everyone who hasn't to read https://meereeneseblot.wordpress.com/2013/09/27/untangling-the-meereenese-knot-part-i-who-poisoned-the-locusts/

They are a series of essays, and are quite long, but extremely insightful and well written.

I've never really put much thought into it but I've always thought that Reznak is a red herring and is basically harmless.

Reznak is the perfumed seneschal of Quaithe's warning.  All of Quaithe's info is given in real time based on what she sees at the moment.  

Harpies are female.  It's most likely the Green Grace.

Reznak is the perfumed seneschal of Quaithe's warning.  All of Quaithe's info is given in real time based on what she sees at the moment.  

Why are you so sure Reznak is the perfumed seneschal?

I'm not sure who it is but I just find Reznak far too inconsequential to be anything but a red herring for such a major warning. I think it is more likely to be Varys, Marwynn, or Moqorro - the latter two associated with the ships, the Fragrant Steward or Cinnamon Wind, they traveled in.

Why are you so sure Reznak is the perfumed seneschal?

I'm not sure who it is but I just find Reznak far too inconsequential to be anything but a red herring for such a major warning. I think it is more likely to be Varys, Marwynn, or Moqorro - the latter two associated with the ships, the Fragrant Steward or Cinnamon Wind, they traveled in.

Because the warning about the PS is separate from the warning about all the people on their way to Dany at the time.  It's not Moqorro because he is linked in the wording to the kraken but not to the PS. If it was Moqorro, she could have said "kraken and dark flame--the perfumed seneschal brings them." or something like that.  Instead it's a separate warning from all of the pairings of travelers.  

It's not Varys because Quaithe gives real-time info, and Varys was not on his way to Dany.  It's not Marwyn for the same reason.  

Fragrant Steward is one other interpretation that could work, but Cinnamon Wind is not...though a seneschal may be full of hot air, he would not be called a wind.  

Quaithe speaks to what she sees at the moment.  At that moment there happened to be a person in Dany's court who was perfumed and called a seneschal.  The very fact that Reznak seems inconsequential makes it more likely that Dany would need to be warned about him, because she wouldn't have considered him a threat without the heads-up.  He's pretending to be minor when in fact he could be sabotaging Dany's efforts secretly.  Hizdhar insists he wasn't behind the poisoned locusts, and if he's telling the truth, there are only a few other possible culprits, with Reznak being high on the list.

It's not Varys because Quaithe gives real-time info, and Varys was not on his way to Dany.  It's not Marwyn for the same reason.  

I disagree. The phrase "Beware the perfumed seneschal" is in a separate sentence at the end of the paragraph, which means there's no implication that he has to be on his way to Dany.

"The glass candles are burning. Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun's son and the mummer's dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal."

Because the warning about the PS is separate from the warning about all the people on their way to Dany at the time.  It's not Moqorro because he is linked in the wording to the kraken but not to the PS. If it was Moqorro, she could have said "kraken and dark flame--the perfumed seneschal brings them." or something like that.  Instead it's a separate warning from all of the pairings of travelers.  

Fragrant Steward is one other interpretation that could work, but Cinnamon Wind is not...though a seneschal may be full of hot air, he would not be called a wind.  

Quaithe speaks to what she sees at the moment.  At that moment there happened to be a person in Dany's court who was perfumed and called a seneschal.  The very fact that Reznak seems inconsequential makes it more likely that Dany would need to be warned about him, because she wouldn't have considered him a threat without the heads-up.  He's pretending to be minor when in fact he could be sabotaging Dany's efforts secretly.  Hizdhar insists he wasn't behind the poisoned locusts, and if he's telling the truth, there are only a few other possible culprits, with Reznak being high on the list.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by Quaithe gives real time info. If you look at the rest of the warning/prophecy...

The glass candles are burning. Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun's son and the mummer's dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal.

There are certain other bits and pieces we are pretty sure we know what they refer to. The Griffin obviously refers to Jon Connington and he is as remote from her as Varys. Likewise the mummers dragon is probably young Griff. 

I guess we will (hopefully) understand it better soon. I just can't see what Reznak is capable of doing to justify the warning.

Archived