[BOOK SPOILERS] What your non-reader friends/family thought and their predictions

WinterKing

The root cause of the problem = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yca1HbizssY

My theory: muscle memory. Daenerys has a weird vowel order, ae-e-y, by English standards. It looks wrong to the eyes, it feels wrong to type, you second guess yourself while typing it and afterward...

Khaleesi, on the other hand... a-ee-i is much more natural, even if its just another made up word.

A quote from another place that I found hilarious!

"So what do you think about all this news that the actor playing king geoffrey wants to quite the show? I'm quite pleased actually, can't stand that character... or the actor to be fair.. wonder how and who they would replace him with..? I think they'll probably carry with the story but set it maybe a year onwards for the next season so the replaced character would look a little older and slightly different.

But alas.. producers will probably bribe him some how to stay on, people love to hate king geoffrey."

Oberyn's creepy, cannibals are cool? This is someone that I wouldn't want to spend much time around.

:lol: Cool in a scary way he said. And I can sort of see where he was coming from with Oberyn, he did come across as a bit pervy.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was confused as to who Doloraus Edd was!

Regarding the whole "Khaleesi" thing ... I usually remind people that "Khaleesi" is a title, as in "My Queen" or used as "Your grace." Once I tell them that ... it usually nips it in the butt. Usually. ;)

I call Daenerys "Dany" all the time though, because that's how she's referred to in the books ... and my boyfriend always gets mad at me or says "Who?" At least he knows her name is Daenerys though.

Don't feel bad, I didn't realise Ed was Ed until season e (and honestly, I barely took note of him when reading the books).

Yeah I call her Dany among the Unsullied as well, I think they've finally got the idea now.

My friend is pretty scared of Oberyn, but she thinks he might kill Joffery (or as she calls him, Dickhead) and says if he does then he can stick around.

One of my mates was really upbeat about Arya's situation... until I pointed out the parallel with child soldiers, and after that he sobered up a bit.

Most people seem really into the Hound; depending on how his 'death' plays out, there could be some tears for him come the end of the season.

also, people didnt realize who's sword that was at the beginning

They showed Ice (and Ned) for like the last 10 Seconds in the "previously on" right before the cold opening. Got to think that should be enough of a reminder.

my wife loves the show, but can't for life of her remember anybody's name, which sigils go with which house, and what the last names of some of the houses are. she knows what's going on with jon, arya, dany, and that's about it at this point. i pause and explain a LOT. its frustrating because she is REALLY smart...

Heh - my husband ignored the blue flower completely, and focused on the poison flower. "Whelp, someone is getting poisoned!" And as far as the gift of the necklace to Sansa - "That was weird but sweet. He's going to die."

*lol* Your husband has the same approach to TV characters as I have, then. "He looks like a decent guy... he's gonna die next episode, isn't he?"

My Dad said Joffrey better buy it soon and it better NOT be something weak that finishes him off, like poison :laugh:

Well, 1 out of 2 ain't bad...

There are some who realize her name is Daenerys and just choose to call her Khaleesi. I do not understand that, but I also don't care for nicknames so...

The ones who insist on calling her that are also the ones who will never get their noses out of her ass to realize she sucks and Emilia can't act.

I think it has something to do with the sound of the name. What's your first thought when you hear the word "Daenerys"? Mine is "strange and unattractive" (the ae and e sound like a grotesque mutation between the vowels a and e). What's your first thought when you hear "Khaleesi"? Mine is "strong yet feminine". So, yeah, if I didn't know just how pissed off book walkers get when you call Dany Khaleesi, I would call her that as well.

They showed Ice (and Ned) for like the last 10 Seconds in the "previously on" right before the cold opening. Got to think that should be enough of a reminder.

I know, right? Usually, I like to defend show watchers because GoT is about as complex and complicated as entertainment TV can get, but seriously! They just showed him pulling the sword from the scabbard and then getting beheaded by it 10 seconds before the forge scene! Even goldfish have short term memory that lasts that long.

I didn't think anything when I heard her called those two things. My first thought was "Her name is Daenerys." and "That's probably the feminine form of khal." They're both made up words and I treated them as such. I'm not thinking about the feel of a name when I hear it. It probably comes down to a fundamental difference in the way people process information. It's still irritating though.

Hi, I lurk and read the threads a lot but this is my first post. Whenever I think of something I want to add someone else already has!

My unsullied husband is convinced that Jaimie is going to kill Joffrey. He says that they are "softening" Jaimie's character and "he killed that other bat shit crazy king" so he'll be the most likely to kill this one. When I reminded him that Joffrey is Jaimie's son (he forgot!) he thought maybe not. He said that maybe he'll let someone else do it.

He did notice Oberyn's comments about R +L. He also said that Arya is turning into a psychopath and the Hound seems like an OK guy.

He has a lot of trouble keeping the characters straight. He uses me as a sort of playlist and asks "who's that again?" throughout the episodes. I have to rewatch them.

I'm really not surprised when I think of how much flipping back I had to do the first time I read the books!

By the way, he loves that nonreaders are called unsullied.

I have a friend who has read the books only up to the first half of Storm of Swords, more or less. She hadn't gotten to the part where Oberyn is introduced: she loves him and how badass he is.

She told me something very, very interesting: she thinks if she hadn't read any of the books, she wouldn't have realised that Jorah has romantic feelings for Daenerys. She would think that he loves her as a daughter. What do your friends/family think?

I have a friend who has read the books only up to the first half of Storm of Swords, more or less. She hadn't gotten to the part where Oberyn is introduced: she loves him and how badass he is.

She told me something very, very interesting: she thinks if she hadn't read any of the books, she wouldn't have realised that Jorah has romantic feelings for Daenerys. She would think that he loves her as a daughter. What do your friends/family think?

That's an interesting take. All of my unsullied joke about him being friend-zoned just like we do.

I know right? I mean he didn't quite get why Oberyn had such a beef with the Lannisters, so maybe he'll be more inclined to like him now I've explained that. Although in all fairness Oberyn's intro was slightly OTT.

Maybe it is OTT , but i still believe his scenes where the most awesome in the episode. From the moment he heard the guy singing Rains of Castamere till when he stabbed his hand was pure Red Viper epicness that kept me on the edge of my seat.

Heh - my husband ignored the blue flower completely, and focused on the poison flower. "Whelp, someone is getting poisoned!" And as far as the gift of the necklace to Sansa - "That was weird but sweet. He's going to die."

I think I like your husband, and wish I could get mine to watch. I especially got a good laugh out of his Dontos comment. :lmao: :thumbsup:

Hi, I lurk and read the threads a lot but this is my first post. Whenever I think of something I want to add someone else already has!

My unsullied husband is convinced that Jaimie is going to kill Joffrey. He says that they are "softening" Jaimie's character and "he killed that other bat shit crazy king" so he'll be the most likely to kill this one. When I reminded him that Joffrey is Jaimie's son (he forgot!) he thought maybe not. He said that maybe he'll let someone else do it.

He did notice Oberyn's comments about R +L. He also said that Arya is turning into a psychopath and the Hound seems like an OK guy.

He has a lot of trouble keeping the characters straight. He uses me as a sort of playlist and asks "who's that again?" throughout the episodes. I have to rewatch them.

I'm really not surprised when I think of how much flipping back I had to do the first time I read the books!

By the way, he loves that nonreaders are called unsullied.

Thanks for the post, and very interesting on your hubby's thoughts about Jaime killing another king who needs it. Perhaps that is something that D&D want the Unsullied to consider with Jaime's early return.

Just wanted to say Hi and Welcome, and hope you have fun. I hope you post more. :D

Husband is unsullied and thinks that Cersei is going to kill Shae. He has said other passing remarks that I forget but every single time my son and I suck our lips in and look away or comment with something like, "Oh?" :wideeyed:

Archived