[BOOK SPOILERS] What your non-reader friends/family thought and their predictions

WinterKing

There are some who realize her name is Daenerys and just choose to call her Khaleesi. I do not understand that, but I also don't care for nicknames so...

The ones who insist on calling her that are also the ones who will never get their noses out of her ass to realize she sucks and Emilia can't act.

You must really hate Jorah.

You must really hate Jorah.

I hate that he never calls her her name, yes. Only because it confuses some of the less intelligent people. Specifically the ones who thought Ice was Robb's sword even though they visually spelled it out mere seconds before by showing the unsheathing of Ned's sword the same way in two scenes.

Anyway, quite a few of the unspoiled people seem to think Tywin didn't really disown Jaime.

Anyway, quite a few of the unspoiled people seem to think Tywin didn't really disown Jaime.

Technically, he didn't. At best he acknowledged that he had lost Jaime years ago.

In reality, he didn't either -- unless you think Tywin is sentimental enough to let a Valyrian Steel sword out of the family.

All Tywin is doing is losing the hand (ha ha) as least gracefully as he can without leaving the game entirely.

He does disown him and that's when he does it. After Jaime refuses all the stuff Tywin wants him to take. Unless I have a faulty copy of the book, he gives Jaime the sword, tells him to take Casterly Rock, leave the kingsguard, Jaime refuses, and he explicitly disowns him. Maybe they're going a different route, but assuming they aren't, Jaime was disowned in that scene. They just changed the dialogue for some reason.

Jaime stood. “I am tired of having highborn

women kicking pails of shit at me, Father. No one ever asked me if I wanted to be Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, but it seems I am. I have a duty—”

“You do.” Lord Tywin rose as well. “A duty to House Lannister. You are the heir to Casterly Rock. That is where you should be. Tommen should accompany you, as your ward and squire. The Rock is where he’ll learn to be a Lannister, and I want him away from his mother. I mean to find a new husband for Cersei. Oberyn Martell perhaps, once I convince Lord Tyrell that the match does not threaten Highgarden. And it is past time you were wed. The Tyrells are now insisting that Margaery be wed to Tommen, but if I were to offer you instead—”

“NO!” Jaime had heard all that he could stand. No, more than he could stand. He was sick of it, sick of lords and lies, sick of his father, his sister, sick of the whole bloody business. “No. No. No. No. No. How many times must I say no before you’ll hear it? Oberyn Martell? The man’s infamous, and not just for poisoning his sword. He has more bastards than Robert, and beds with boys as well. And if you think for one misbegotten moment that I would wed Joffrey’s widow . . . ”

“Lord Tyrell swears the girl’s still maiden.”

“She can die a maiden as far as I’m concerned. I don’t want her, and I don’t want your Rock!”

“You are my son—”

“I am a knight of the Kingsguard. The Lord Commander of the Kingsguard! And that’s all I mean to be!”

Firelight gleamed golden in the stiff whiskers that framed Lord Tywin’s face. A vein pulsed in his neck, but he did not speak. And did not speak. And did not speak. The strained silence went on until it was more than Jaime could endure. “Father . . . ” he began.

“You are not my son.” Lord Tywin turned his face away. “You say you are the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, and only that. Very well, ser. Go do your duty.”

The way it's written in the show has it so that Tywin makes a catty comment about a man with no family. The unspoiled people understood that as him referring to Jaimie's lack of children, and Jaime inferring that he was disowned.

There are some who realize her name is Daenerys and just choose to call her Khaleesi. I do not understand that, but I also don't care for nicknames so...

The ones who insist on calling her that are also the ones who will never get their noses out of her ass to realize she sucks and Emilia can't act.

Slighty OT, but didja hear about this? http://www.bustle.com/articles/20663-game-of-thrones-loving-parents-are-bringing-khaleesi-arya-to-the-top-of-baby-name-lists

But I would think these are the people that don't realize that her name is Daenerys. For example, my friend (who watches the show lol), who when I explained a favourite actor of mine was coming into the role of Daario, had to explain who he was by explaining he was Dany's love interest at the end of S3. And then had to explain that Dany was the Khaleesi, you know, the one with the blond hair? Lol.

An unsullied friend just asked me about the Sword from the Intro. I explained him it was Ice. He then checked the wiki (for the sword) and told me that showJoffrey already has Widow's Wail before, which is odd because WW is recently made.

Contradiction? (I can't really remember this). We're both confused.

I think I remember Joffrey getting Widow's Wale (the smaller sword) back in time, so my take in it is that the "prologue" scene in this episode 4x01 (Tywin reforging Ice into two swords) chronologically belongs to that time, after Ned's death, and after Tywin is back in KL for the Blackwater battle. So Jaime's sword has been waiting for him all this time in King's Landing. And then there's a time jump in the episode when Tywin gives the sword to Jaime, now that he's back from his imprisonment and journey with Brienne.

I think I remember Joffrey getting Widow's Wale (the smaller sword) back in time, so my take in it is that the "prologue" scene in this episode 4x01 (Tywin reforging Ice into two swords) chronologically belongs to that time, after Ned's death, and after Tywin is back in KL for the Blackwater battle. So Jaime's sword has been waiting for him all this time in King's Landing. And then there's a time jump in the episode when Tywin gives the sword to Jaime, now that he's back from his imprisonment and journey with Brienne.

Joffrey's sword that he currently has is 'Heart Eater'. He doesn't have 'Widow's Wail' yet.

Joffrey's sword that he currently has is 'Heart Eater'. He doesn't have 'Widow's Wail' yet.

Ok, I was in the wrong then. Maybe because the timing is slightly different in the books. So I guess we'll see Joffrey getting Widow's Wale as a wedding present in the next episode.

I hate that he never calls her her name, yes. Only because it confuses some of the less intelligent people. Specifically the ones who thought Ice was Robb's sword even though they visually spelled it out mere seconds before by showing the unsheathing of Ned's sword the same way in two scenes.

OMG!! I can't tell you how many written reviews of the show I've read that started out with the words "Robb Stark's sword" in the first paragraph. That was my cue to stop reading, LOL

Ok, I was in the wrong then. Maybe because the timing is slightly different in the books. So I guess we'll see Joffrey getting Widow's Wale as a wedding present in the next episode.

Joff's swords:

Lion's Tooth........chucked by Arya into the Trident

Hearteater.........kissed by Sansa before the Blackwater

Widow's Wail..........coming soon, LOL

Well in the show, he the smith who forged the swords travelled all the time from Volantis, so it's very plausible that he couldn't reforge the swords until now.

Kid I work with: I'm really excited for the Dawnish.

Me: The Dornish? Yeah, they're really cool. I love Oberyn.

Kid: Was he the one who tried to bang the white dude in the whore house? I really liked him

They showed Ice (and Ned) for like the last 10 Seconds in the "previously on" right before the cold opening. Got to think that should be enough of a reminder.

Please. With all the names and plots the Previously On... had to go through, I don't blame the Unsullied for not focusing on the sword. Maybe they thought execution was the binding theme in those clips, not the sword itself.

Jaime stood. “I am tired of having highborn

women kicking pails of shit at me, Father. No one ever asked me if I wanted to be Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, but it seems I am. I have a duty—”

“You do.” Lord Tywin rose as well. “A duty to House Lannister. You are the heir to Casterly Rock. That is where you should be. Tommen should accompany you, as your ward and squire. The Rock is where he’ll learn to be a Lannister, and I want him away from his mother. I mean to find a new husband for Cersei. Oberyn Martell perhaps, once I convince Lord Tyrell that the match does not threaten Highgarden. And it is past time you were wed. The Tyrells are now insisting that Margaery be wed to Tommen, but if I were to offer you instead—”

“NO!” Jaime had heard all that he could stand. No, more than he could stand. He was sick of it, sick of lords and lies, sick of his father, his sister, sick of the whole bloody business. “No. No. No. No. No. How many times must I say no before you’ll hear it? Oberyn Martell? The man’s infamous, and not just for poisoning his sword. He has more bastards than Robert, and beds with boys as well. And if you think for one misbegotten moment that I would wed Joffrey’s widow . . . ”

“Lord Tyrell swears the girl’s still maiden.”

“She can die a maiden as far as I’m concerned. I don’t want her, and I don’t want your Rock!”

“You are my son—”

“I am a knight of the Kingsguard. The Lord Commander of the Kingsguard! And that’s all I mean to be!”

Firelight gleamed golden in the stiff whiskers that framed Lord Tywin’s face. A vein pulsed in his neck, but he did not speak. And did not speak. And did not speak. The strained silence went on until it was more than Jaime could endure. “Father . . . ” he began.

“You are not my son.” Lord Tywin turned his face away. “You say you are the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, and only that. Very well, ser. Go do your duty.”

I hope some of this makes it into the season. The way Jaime and Tywin's argument went leads me to believe it isn't the last we'll see of that.

Please. With all the names and plots the Previously On... had to go through, I don't blame the Unsullied for not focusing on the sword. Maybe they thought execution was the binding theme in those clips, not the sword itself.

This.

One of my friends loved the Arya scene and remarked that Oberyn must be really bold to come to King's Landing with 5 men and "openly threaten Tywin Lannister", but he did not like that Oberyn is bisexual. He predicts that Daenerys will easily take Meereen, Jaime won't touch Cersei again and Arya will probably not arrive at the Eyrie without meeting some trouble on the road.

Another friend says he decided not to make predictions anymore after having seen the RW, but he hopes Arya will kill Joffrey soon.

Slighty OT, but didja hear about this? http://www.bustle.com/articles/20663-game-of-thrones-loving-parents-are-bringing-khaleesi-arya-to-the-top-of-baby-name-lists

But I would think these are the people that don't realize that her name is Daenerys. For example, my friend (who watches the show lol), who when I explained a favourite actor of mine was coming into the role of Daario, had to explain who he was by explaining he was Dany's love interest at the end of S3. And then had to explain that Dany was the Khaleesi, you know, the one with the blond hair? Lol.

I've seen that too :rolleyes: For some reason, it really really bugs me that people think that's her name. (and that includes most of my Unsullied friends)

Kid I work with: I'm really excited for the Dawnish.

Me: The Dornish? Yeah, they're really cool. I love Oberyn.

Kid: Was he the one who tried to bang the white dude in the whore house? I really liked him

I love this. I always love reading this thread :)

So my sister was too lazy to chat about everything and just said a few things:

• Arya will become a great assassin

Something big will go down at the wedding

Oberyin will most probably have something to do with it

And then she went and said:

Me: What did you think of the Thenns?

Sis: Who are they!?

Me: The cannibals.

Sis: Yeah, they look tough..... (a moment later) I didn't realize they were really cannibals, though. Thought they put the arm there just to intimidate the others. (!!)

I know. I'll have to disown her, Tywin-style :p

I agree - the highlight clips didn't do a good job of focusing on the sword, rather than the executions, as unifying the action. (Wasn't there a scene with Catelyn and Ned discussing Ice that could have worked better?) I watched Season 1 before reading the books, and I'm pretty sure I had no idea that they'd used Ice for Ned's execution.

Archived