NBA Continued - Conference, Finals, and Beyond

Relic

Manziel and Wiggins/Embid had the same looks of dread on their faces when Cleveland was announced

The draft needs to be uncoupled from team performance, right now it rewards incompetence. Star players going to dumpster fire organizations like Cleveland and Sacramento and Minnesota.

Wish the Sixers had gotten into the top 2, but 3 is good, and they also have 10. Now there is a well run franchise that will be a force in a few years.

Manziel and Wiggins/Embid had the same looks of dread on their faces when Cleveland was announced

The draft needs to be uncoupled from team performance, right now it rewards incompetence. Star players going to dumpster fire organizations like Cleveland and Sacramento and Minnesota.

Wish the Sixers had gotten into the top 2, but 3 is good, and they also have 10. Now there is a well run franchise that will be a force in a few years.

I think the draft lottery works perfectly. Cleveland got extremely lucky to get this pick. But it also didn't hand the Sixers or Bucks the 1st overall pick after deliberately not trying to compete on the floor.

And aside from your Clevelands and Milwaukees that are completely inept, the draft has plenty of examples of working exactly as hoped. Look at teams like Oklahoma City, Golden State, and Washington as teams that have parlayed a handful of top 5 picks into a strong roster with a bright future. The system shouldn't be blown up because a couple of teams routinely make awful picks.

As an aside, it's pretty incredible to see what the Thunder have done in the Presti era drafting. Since '07, they've made arguably the best selection at a number of spots they've picked in in the draft.

#2 Durant. Since Durant is the best player drafted in this time frame it's safe to say he's the best #2 overall.

#3 Harden. The competition here is he and Al Horford. Horford is probably the better player, but can't seem to stay healthy.

#4 Westbrook. No competition here, 4 overall has been a horrible spot in this period.

#12 Adams. Obviously too soon to tell, but Adams looks like he's going to be a really good player. There is some decent competition at this slot, with Thaddeus Young, Gerald Henderson, and Alec Burks.

#24 Serge Ibaka. Closest competition here is Reggie Jackson, also drafted by the Thunder.

As an aside, it's pretty incredible to see what the Thunder have done in the Presti era drafting. Since '07, they've made arguably the best selection at a number of spots they've picked in in the draft.

#2 Durant. Since Durant is the best player drafted in this time frame it's safe to say he's the best #2 overall.

#3 Harden. The competition here is he and Al Horford. Horford is probably the better player, but can't seem to stay healthy.

#4 Westbrook. No competition here, 4 overall has been a horrible spot in this period.

#12 Adams. Obviously too soon to tell, but Adams looks like he's going to be a really good player. There is some decent competition at this slot, with Thaddeus Young, Gerald Henderson, and Alec Burks.

#24 Serge Ibaka. Closest competition here is Reggie Jackson, also drafted by the Thunder.

What's clear is Sam Presti has feasted on the mistakes of other franchises.

Thanks Portland for Oden over Durant!

Thanks Minnesota for OJ Mayo over Westbrook!

Thanks Memphis for Hasheem Thabeet over Harden!

Thanks Charlotte for Alexis Anjica over Ibaka!

I'm less enamored of his trades but no one in the NBA has been better drafting guys except arguably the Spurs.

Wolves got a mulligan on that one though, since Memphis turned around and traded the 5th pick (some dude named 'Kevin Love') for Mayo. :bang:

Holy shit, I didn't realize that happened. That's the worst draft day trade since Milwaukee traded Dirk Nowitzki for Robert "Tractor" Traylor.

How ridiculous could Memphis be right now if they just kept Love and drafted Westbrook Harden (or Curry...or hell Rubio) instead of Thabeet?

Edited due to mixed up draft years.

Holy shit, I didn't realize that happened. That's the worst draft day trade since Milwaukee traded Dirk Nowitzki for Robert "Tractor" Traylor.

How ridiculous could Memphis be right now if they just kept Love and drafted Westbrook Harden (or Curry...or hell Rubio) instead of Thabeet?

Nah, you're forgetting the LaMarcus Aldridge for Tyrus Thomas swap.

ST

Guaranteeing first crack at these type of players is a helluva consolation prize. I'd just like to see the Suns have a chance at these guys rather than guaranteeing that they'll probably end up on the Sixers, Bucks or Magic.

honestly, that's the reason why many fans of the team, say, in the 5th spot, was confused at the half attempt at tanking. either dump the season and be guaranteed a spot or make a run for it and take your chances with the draft, FA and trades.

Most likely, the C's are ending up on the outside looking in, though I have seen a couple mocks where Randle falls to 6. If so, I'll take it. But seen more often that it is Smart and I'm not sure he's the position they need.

They haven't drafted a single player who turned out to be a significant contributor to the team since Mike Conley in 2007.

The Grizzlies' draft history is a true comedy of errors, and it doesn't even take into account the LeBron draft, where the Griz would've gotten the #1 pick from the Pistons if Detroit had won the lottery. Knowing the Griz they'd have just taken Darko. :rofl:

Nah, you're forgetting the LaMarcus Aldridge for Tyrus Thomas swap.

ST

True. Chicago is another team that's had (and continues to have) the ability to be ridiculous.

honestly, that's the reason why many fans of the team, say, in the 5th spot, was confused at the half attempt at tanking. either dump the season and be guaranteed a spot or make a run for it and take your chances with the draft, FA and trades.

Most likely, the C's are ending up on the outside looking in, though I have seen a couple mocks where Randle falls to 6. If so, I'll take it. But seen more often that it is Smart and I'm not sure he's the position they need.

Can't help but agree. From what I've seen there are 5 premier talents in the draft - Wiggins, Embiid, Parker, Exum and Randle. Drafting 6th denies you one of the near surethings...unless someone fucks up.

But the plus side is judging from the last 15 years of draft history, someone will.

They haven't drafted a single player who turned out to be a significant contributor to the team since Mike Conley in 2007.

The Grizzlies' draft history is a true comedy of errors, and it doesn't even take into account the LeBron draft, where the Griz would've gotten the #1 pick from the Pistons if Detroit had won the lottery. Knowing the Griz they'd have just taken Darko. :rofl:

Yeah it's amazing how good Memphis is now despite their draft history. They're pretty much the exact opposite of OKC. Built themselves entirely through free agency, savvy trades...and good coaching :P It's just draft day that's a house of horrors for them. Kinda funny to look at a team that can't score and then see they drafted Kevin Love and Kyle Lowry in recent years.

Yeah it's amazing how good Memphis is now despite their draft history. They're pretty much the exact opposite of OKC. Built themselves entirely through free agency, savvy trades...and good coaching :P It's just draft day that's a house of horrors for them. Kinda funny to look at a team that can't score and then see they drafted Kevin Love and Kyle Lowry in recent years.

Yeah, Lionel Hollins liked Conley more than Lowry. I like Mike too, but he doesn't have the same scoring punch as Kyle. That was not a popular decision around here, even at the time.

And now word is surfacing that Dave Joerger is about to interview for the Minnesota job. Apparently the owner doesn't like him and the feeling is mutual. Shocker.

Most people outside the Griz don't know who Robert Pera is, but I've got a suspicion his name will be listed among the fabled pantheon of "batshit crazy team owners no one in their right mind wants to work for" before too long. First sign was lat year when he claimed (not joking) that he could beat Tony Allen in a game of 1 on 1. :lol:

Apparently the Cavs are going to take Embiid if "his back injury checks out". Fuck.

A couple of the mocks I have seen have put him at #1 & he is commenting that his back is fine, no pain and he is able to go.

And used car salesman also are reliable and should babysit for you whenever possible.

That's why they're the Cavs.

And why the NBA is comfortable with them drafting #1 3 times in 4 years.

It's a little scary that going back to 1995, 5 of the #1 picks never made an all star team.

It's a little scary that going back to 1995, 5 of the #1 picks never made an all star team.

The scary thing... out of all of them Bennett is the worst of the entire bunch. Its why I said above, the smart play last year would have been to take Nerlens Noel and sit him for the year. Certainly no one expected them to land the top overall pick again, but looking at it now it would allow them to safely pass on Embiid and pick up a power forward like Parker or a small forward like Wiggins.

Here's a thought I had while driving around. There's been speculation that LeBron may go back to Cleveland at some point. (I don't buy it... but follow me here.) There's also been talk that the Heat will need to rework their roster after this season one way or the other. I also heard today that Cleveland's GM said that he was getting trade offers for the top pick within minutes of the lotto's close.

So here's my question: What is LeBron worth in trade? If you gave Miami the #1 pick in this year's draft, what else would you have to give up in return for LeBron? (Not speculating that Cleveland or LBJ would be interested in this, just wondering what the trade value for the best player in the league would be.)

A couple of the mocks I have seen have put him at #1 & he is commenting that his back is fine, no pain and he is able to go.

And used car salesman also are reliable and should babysit for you whenever possible.

Honestly, I would not have wanted Embiid with the 1st pick even if he never hurt his back. Way too much projection based on too little a track record.

Yes, the NBA draft is all about the upside potential and I can see taking a chance on Embiid if your other options are taking Exum or Gordon and hoping they develop. It doesn't make sense to do it at #1 with Wiggins (and possibly, even Parker) sitting there.

The scary thing... out of all of them Bennett is the worst of the entire bunch. Its why I said above, the smart play last year would have been to take Nerlens Noel and sit him for the year. Certainly no one expected them to land the top overall pick again, but looking at it now it would allow them to safely pass on Embiid and pick up a power forward like Parker or a small forward like Wiggins.

Here's a thought I had while driving around. There's been speculation that LeBron may go back to Cleveland at some point. (I don't buy it... but follow me here.) There's also been talk that the Heat will need to rework their roster after this season one way or the other. I also heard today that Cleveland's GM said that he was getting trade offers for the top pick within minutes of the lotto's close.

So here's my question: What is LeBron worth in trade? If you gave Miami the #1 pick in this year's draft, what else would you have to give up in return for LeBron? (Not speculating that Cleveland or LBJ would be interested in this, just wondering what the trade value for the best player in the league would be.)

I kind of disagree. The thought with Bennett was that he was the lower ceiling but low risk guy. He was a guy that would step in, get you some good offense and rebounding, but never be an all-NBA dominant player. I have been incredibly shocked that he just has turned out to not be able to play.

I kind of disagree. The thought with Bennett was that he was the lower ceiling but low risk guy. He was a guy that would step in, get you some good offense and rebounding, but never be an all-NBA dominant player. I have been incredibly shocked that he just has turned out to not be able to play.

Anthony Bennett... complete makes and misses through first 12 games.

Also, if you follow the link in my post you will see a great analysis of where he was through half the season. Check it out and then scroll down through the comments. About halfway down is a mesmerizing GIF that really just encapsulates everything about him.

Yeah, Lionel Hollins liked Conley more than Lowry. I like Mike too, but he doesn't have the same scoring punch as Kyle. That was not a popular decision around here, even at the time.

And now word is surfacing that Dave Joerger is about to interview for the Minnesota job. Apparently the owner doesn't like him and the feeling is mutual. Shocker.

Most people outside the Griz don't know who Robert Pera is, but I've got a suspicion his name will be listed among the fabled pantheon of "batshit crazy team owners no one in their right mind wants to work for" before too long. First sign was lat year when he claimed (not joking) that he could beat Tony Allen in a game of 1 on 1. :lol:

I never heard of Robert Pera until Zack Lowe's most recent column. He sounds like a nightmare.

...though he can completely redeem himself if a youtube video surfaces of him playing Tony Allen 1 on 1.

Anthony Bennett... complete makes and misses through first 12 games.

Also, if you follow the link in my post you will see a great analysis of where he was through half the season. Check it out and then scroll down through the comments. About halfway down is a mesmerizing GIF that really just encapsulates everything about him.

Is it just me or does it look he moves in slow motion? Also, the lack of athleticism, yikes. He looks like the pudgy kid that got recruited to play on someone's college intramural team because he's really tall and then you find out even simple hand-eye coordination eludes him.

I think the draft lottery works perfectly. Cleveland got extremely lucky to get this pick. But it also didn't hand the Sixers or Bucks the 1st overall pick after deliberately not trying to compete on the floor.

And aside from your Clevelands and Milwaukees that are completely inept, the draft has plenty of examples of working exactly as hoped. Look at teams like Oklahoma City, Golden State, and Washington as teams that have parlayed a handful of top 5 picks into a strong roster with a bright future. The system shouldn't be blown up because a couple of teams routinely make awful picks.

Presti has clearly drafted well. Which makes his roster construction otherwise such a curiosity to many. He's passed on quite a few good opportunities the last two years to make the team stronger.

Also wanted to say that I think Perry Jones should get a shot. I see very little of him and I'm intrigued by OKC playing him and Durant together.

Presti has clearly drafted well. Which makes his roster construction otherwise such a curiosity to many. He's passed on quite a few good opportunities the last two years to make the team stronger.

Also wanted to say that I think Perry Jones should get a shot. I see very little of him and I'm intrigued by OKC playing him and Durant together.

Agreed. His drafting has been excellent, easily the best in the league since the time he's been here. THe jury is still out on trades. He traded Jeff Green for Kendrick Perkins, which looked good on paper since Green played the same position as Durant and Perk appeared just what the team needed, but in a twist of irony, the Thunder got punished for sending Jeff Green over without disclosing knowledge of his heart condition, but in the end Green is just fine, and Kendrick Perkins has turned out to be irrevocably damaged goods with bad knees that turned him into a shell of himself.

The Harden trade the jury is still out on. They weren't going to be able to hang on to him, as he wasn't interested in being third banana, so it's just a question of whether they got enough for him, and whether or not they should have hung onto him for another year.

Hanging on to him for the final year would have given them a great shot at the title last season (although ultimately they wouldn't have won with Westbrook going down), but they would not have gotten nearly as much in return. As it stands, they got a one eyar rental on Kevin Martin, which ended up being a waste because of the Westbrook injury. They got Jeremy Lamb who remains to be seen what kind of player he can be. They got the draft pick that became Stephen Adams, which is looking like a great pick as he appears to be a very nice center in the league in the future. FInally, they got Dallas's pick this year, which will fall in the 20 or so range. We'll see what htey can do with that, as they will also have their own end of hte first round pick to potentially package with that and move up a couple spots. I think with the way Adams has emerged, this is a win. They got a starting center, at the very least, in exchange for a guy who wasn't going to resign.

Free agency, has been rpetty bad. Presti hasn't had much of a budget to work with, but his go get veterans looking for a ring plan hasn't been great, with Butler and Fisher being spent.

Archived