Do the Starks have notable friends in the Vale?

FooFighterDDS

I had a random thought about Sansa's situation in the Vale. I am sure this has been covered before in other threads. We all know that Ned was fostered in the Vale. He was probably well liked and had many influential friends in the region. The Starks have a distant relation to House Royce as well. I recall the Vale lords wanting to support Robb's campaign. Who from the Vale might have known Ned?

We will see who supports the Starks in the vale when Sansa is revealed Bronze Yohn will play a role I believe he will want revenge for Jon Arryn an his son slain by Lora's tyrell .when he finds out LF schemes he will end LF life.

We know that Bronze Yohn Royce knew Ned and lobbied Lysa to go to war on Robb's behalf. But I would imagine virtually all of the Vale Lords and Ladies of a certain age would have known Ned since he was fostered with Jon Arryn... certainly Lady Waynwood and old Lord Redfort, maybe Lord Belmore too(?). Either way, Sansa will have friends when her identity is made known.

I had a random thought about Sansa's situation in the Vale. I am sure this has been covered before in other threads. We all know that Ned was fostered in the Vale. He was probably well liked and had many influential friends in the region. The Starks have a distant relation to House Royce as well. I recall the Vale lords wanting to support Robb's campaign. Who from the Vale might have known Ned?

Some did and some didn't.

A number of houses wished to enter the war on behalf of the Starks. The vale has also fought in the rebellion and the Dance beside the North.

Nope. They wanted to enter the war to avenge Jon Arryn for being murdered by the Lannisters. It just so happened that the Starks were fighting the Lannisters at the same time.

The Starks are intermarried with some of the Great Houses of Vale.

I expect at least the Royces can be counted on supporting the Starks, at least so far as it doesn't risk their own holdings. As for the rest... well we don't really know how many people Ned befriended in the Vale, so no way to know.

Some did and some didn't.

Nope. They wanted to enter the war to avenge Jon Arryn for being murdered by the Lannisters. It just so happened that the Starks were fighting the Lannisters at the same time.

The Starks are intermarried with some of the Great Houses of Vale.

That is not a "nope", because pretty much all the high lords of the Vale were wanting to side with the Starks, this speaks of a majority not some inconsequential lords. Furthermore, they are perhaps deceived by Lysa, but the fact is that the two regions appear to be traditional allies since the conquest. When civil war has broken out in the 7 kingdoms the two usually find themselves on the same side or not fighting at all (the blackyre). Furthermore, there is an alliance to speak of at the time of the Wot5k as the Arryn's and Starks both have ties through the Tully sisters. Its for these reasons they want to go to war in addition to the public accusation of the Lannisters being responsible for Jon Arryns death.

That is not a "nope", because pretty much all the high lords of the Vale were wanting to side with the Starks, this speaks of a majority not some inconsequential lords. Furthermore, they are perhaps deceived by Lysa, but the fact is that the two regions appear to be traditional allies since the conquest. When civil war has broken out in the 7 kingdoms the two usually find themselves on the same side or not fighting at all (the blackyre). Furthermore, there is an alliance to speak of at the time of the Wot5k as the Arryn's and Starks both have ties through the Tully sisters. Its for these reasons they want to go to war in addition to the public accusation of the Lannisters being responsible for Jon Arryns death.

That was by and large the reason they wanted to enter the war.

GeoRR: The lords of the Vale are numerous. As with any large group, their views vary.

GeoRR: "Brothers" overstates the case, but certainly Ned made friends during his years in the Eyrie... so did Robert, however, so some of the Vale houses would be just as well disposed toward Baratheon as toward Stark.

GeoRR: Do some of the them want to join Robb? Certainly. Most notably Bronze Yohn Royce. Others, however, want no part of the war, and some may even favor the other contenders.

Furthermore, despite Robert being a massive jerk he's the kind of lovable jerk who makes friends easily and in all honesty probably made more friends in the Vale than Ned did. Robb was rebelling against Robert's "children" and later if Stannis' letter is true, their Kings and Robert's brother. GRRM said that feelings in the Vale were mixed and that makes sense. Some wanted to ally with the Starks (not enter on their behalf). Some wanted to join the Baratheons. Others wanted to stay neutral.

GeoRR: The lords of the Vale are numerous. As with any large group, their views vary.

GeoRR: "Brothers" overstates the case, but certainly Ned made friends during his years in the Eyrie... so did Robert, however, so some of the Vale houses would be just as well disposed toward Baratheon as toward Stark.

GeoRR: Do some of the them want to join Robb? Certainly. Most notably Bronze Yohn Royce. Others, however, want no part of the war, and some may even favor the other contenders.

Thanks for this. Would make no sense if Ned made friends, but Robert didn't.

That was by and large the reason they wanted to enter the war.

Furthermore, despite Robert being a massive jerk he's the kind of lovable jerk who makes friends easily and in all honesty probably made more friends in the Vale than Ned did. Robb was rebelling against Robert's "children" and later if Stannis' letter is true, their Kings and Robert's brother. GRRM said that feelings in the Vale were mixed and that makes sense. Some wanted to ally with the Starks (not enter on their behalf). Some wanted to join the Baratheons. Others wanted to stay neutral.

And up until the time of their meeting with LF, the most powerful of these lords threw their political weight behind Bronze Yohn. When LF tells of Sansa of the political lanscape of the Vale (before said meeting) he states that he has his own friends but his opposition was much stronger.

Edit: Also, where are these quotes coming from? Do you happen to have a link?

And up until the time of their meeting with LF, the most powerful of these lords threw their political weight behind Bronze Yohn. When LF tells of Sansa of the political lanscape of the Vale (before said meeting) he states that he has his own friends but his opposition was much stronger.

Edit: Also, where are these quotes coming from? Do you happen to have a link?

Theres no proof that those were the most powerful Houses in the Vale. In fact... one of those Houses was a Knightly House.

The Citadel: So Spake Martin - Clans of the North and the Valelords

This actually comes about when someone suggests that the Vale Lords were all itching to support Robb and love the Starks. GRRM disagreed.

Theirs no proof that those were the most powerful Houses in the Vale. In fact... one of those Houses was a Knightly House.

The Citadel: So Spake Martin - Clans of the North and the Valelords

Each of the Lords Declarent raised at least a thousand men between the six of them, and it was that Knight of Ninestars that said "we can bring more" to LF. These aren't minor houses.

Each of the Lords Declarent raised at least a thousand men between the six of them, and it was that Knight of Ninestars that said "we can bring more" to LF. These aren't minor houses.

I never said that they were minor Houses. I just said that there's no proof that they were all of the most powerful Houses in the Vale. Do you have a quote?

I never said that they were minor Houses. I just said that there's no proof that they were all of the most powerful Houses in the Vale. Do you have a quote?

No, I base this on the disposition on who LF claims as allies. Lynderly is an unknown quality, Corbrays are an old house who have become impoverished, and the Graftons fought against Robert and were likely subjected to the same penalties the Darrys received. Admittedly the Waynwoods are not as rich they claim from LF, but they still seemingly have a good amount of political weight.

No, I base this on the disposition on who LF claims as allies. Lynderly is an unknown quality, Corbrays are an old house who have become impoverished, and the Graftons fought against Robert and were likely subjected to the same penalties the Darrys received. Admittedly the Waynwoods are not as rich they claim from LF, but they still seemingly have a good amount of political weight.

I think you're overexaggerating. The facts are that the Starks have friends in the Vale, but so do the Baratheons. Feelings there were mixed. And that the Vale Lords who wanted to go to war probably wanted to go to war to avenge Jon Arryn, rather than on behalf of some Stark kid they don't know.

I think you're overexaggerating. The facts are that the Starks have friends in the Vale, but so do the Baratheons. Feelings there were mixed. And that the Vale Lords who wanted to go to war probably wanted to go to war to avenge Jon Arryn, rather than on behalf of some Stark kid they don't know.

Yeah, we forget that Jon Arryn is to the Vale what the Ned was to the North. Maybe even more so.

We know that Bronze Yohn Royce knew Ned and lobbied Lysa to go to war on Robb's behalf. But I would imagine virtually all of the Vale Lords and Ladies of a certain age would have known Ned since he was fostered with Jon Arryn... certainly Lady Waynwood and old Lord Redfort, maybe Lord Belmore too(?). Either way, Sansa will have friends when her identity is made known.

I don't have my books with me, but I thought there was some textual evidence that in the very least Bronze Yohn is well aware of who Sansa is? I'll have to look when I get home. Or is this another figment of my imagination?

Archived