red comet in ACOK who got it right

jon rhaegar  stark

as we all know there was a RED comet which appeared over the sky during the Funeral Pyre of Khal Drogo and birth of Dragons again

and we have seen the red comet throughout the ACOK and we have different accounts of what exactly does the comet means

Names of the comet :

• In KL is goes by "King Joffrey's Comet" at court and the "Red Messenger" or “Dragon’s Tail” in the streets.[5]
  • It is also called the "Red Messenger" by the soldiers in the Riverlands
  • Among the Faith it is known as the "Sword that Slays the Season."
  • Among the Nights Watch, it is known as Mormonts Torch
  • The comet's Dothraki name is "shierak qiya", meaning "bleeding star".
  • Gendry names it the "Red Sword" on account of its sword-like shape.
  • When Daenarys is taking a bath in Qarth she names it the Bleeding Star.

and Sansa mentions that Servants called that as Dragons Tail

OLD Nan and Melisandre Claims it signals the coming of Dragons

As theon sails towards Pyke he can see the Red Comet, which he considers his comet. Later, when Theon is met by is uncle Aeron Greyjoy, he tells his uncle that in Riverrun they say:

the Red comet is a herald of a new age. A messenger from the gods

and Edmure thinks its mark of their victory but Aeron replies

A burning brand it is, such as our people carried of old. It is the flame the Drowned God brought from the sea, and it proclaims a rising tide. It is time to hoist our sails and go forth into the world with fire and sword, as he did.

and others like varys and osha tells that it marks the fire and blood

so what do you guys think it actually meant and whose side you are

for me it marks the coming of Dragons and key to the whole prophecy thing ...i have seen people forget that sigil of Ser patrick is blue and not red so if he bleeds then it is actually blue star bleeing and i would like to highlight the Dothraki and Danny calling it has a Bleeding Star which is also not a coincidence if you are thinking about the prophecy

PS:i dont want it to be another Danny hate thread but just views on red comet and the way it was assumed by the various regions of weteros and i would have missed some mentions about the Red star being mentioned in books feel free to mention that if i have misssed

I just want to point out that the comet was in the sky before the dragons hatched. Dany actually takes it as an omen that supports what she's about to do. She then does it. But the comet would have still been in the sky even if she hadn't hatched the dragons. I think a lot of people actually get the order mixed up, thinking the comet showed up after the dragons hatched. It did not.

As to what it means, I don't think there's a right or wrong answer. Everyone interprets it in a way that speaks to them, or that has significance for them. Some people use it as a means of validating their choices, which includes Dany. That doesn't make her interpretation any more or less "correct."

I just want to point out that the comet was in the sky before the dragons hatched. Dany actually takes it as an omen that supports what she's about to do. She then does it. But the comet would have still been in the sky even if she hadn't hatched the dragons. I think a lot of people actually get the order mixed up, thinking the comet showed up after the dragons hatched. It did not.

As to what it means, I don't think there's a right or wrong answer. Everyone interprets it in a way that speaks to them, or that has significance for them. Some people use it as a means of validating their choices, which includes Dany. That doesn't make her interpretation any more or less "correct."

from danny in Got

The first star was a comet, burning red. Bloodred; fire red; the dragon’s tail. She could not have asked for a stronger sign

for me she actually sees that it as a sign that what she is doing was correct and it will succeed and she succeeded in what she wanted to do and the birth of dragon is followed by the Bleeding Star not the other way around if you take the prophecy in account

and note that name Dragons tail was the one which was called by many people like MEl and Old nan and small folks of KL all assuming that it shows the coming of Dragons and Danny herself called that as Dragons tail as well

Common theme: dragons. fighting/ hard times / bleeding. victory (eventually). Of course, dragons will lead to fighting and bleeding no matter what. In the end, SOMEONE must be victorious. All are right, yet none are completely right. The red comet is ambiguous. Only those that survive will truly know what it meant.

i like to add Maester Cresson thoughts about the comet in the prologue of ACoK

Talking gargoyles and prophecies in the sky. I am an old done man, grown giddy as a child again. Had a lifetime’s hard-won wisdom fled him along with his health and strength? He was a maester, trained and chained in the great Citadel of Oldtown. What had he come to, when superstition filled his head as if he were an ignorant fieldhand?

And yet . . . and yet . . . the comet burned even by day now, while pale grey steam rose from the hot vents of Dragonmont behind the castle, and yestermorn a white raven had brought word from the Citadel itself, word long-expected but no less fearful for all that, word of summer’s end. Omens, all. Too many to deny. What does it all mean? he wanted to cry

given that Maester's at citadel wants to create a world without magic ...it seems that Maester sees it as omens and against of everything he had learned

so i would say that those who were assuming the comet meant Dragons got that right

It was definitely King Joffrey's comet that was the right name for it

“King Joffrey sits where Aegon the Dragon once sat, in the castle built by his son,” Ser Arys said. “He is the dragon’s heir—and crimson is the color of House Lannister, another sign. This comet is sent to herald Joffrey’s ascent to the throne, I have no doubt. It means that he will triumph over his enemies.”

How did things turn out again?

And if you doubt it, then here are Sansa's thoughts on the matter

Is it true? she wondered. Would the gods be so cruel? Her mother was one of Joffrey’s enemies now, her brother Robb another. Her father had died by the king’s command. Must Robb and her lady mother die next?

It doesn't get clearer than this

Came into this thread to make sure this was said. Am not disappointed. Shocking how many people don't understand this.

and what is the point exactly ...did it appear in the morning and dragons hatched during night ...how long do u think it had taken hatch after the pyre put to torch

its all happening at the same moment when the comet appears she puts torch to the pyre that hatches dragons ...i could agree with you if both things happened at different times

It is the comet that Rhaegar expected but did not live to see. Apple and Bryanfury are ignoring what the prophecy actually says (according to Melisandre), namely that the dragons will be woken "under a bleeding star" just as happens on Drogo's funeral pyre. Understandable enough from those who would not concede that Dany is AAR (in defiance of the evidence as presented in the books thus far) even if GRRM said so himself in so many words.

I really liked the comet thing. Nevermind what it really meant in that world of magic, it was still such a great observation on people interpreting random events in a selfserving way and confirming whatever they want to believe .

Maybe I'm crazy but does the comet actually have any significance at all? I thought the whole point of that segment was to show us that everyone uses it to their own advantage and the inner working of their minds

i will say the red comet really has significance if you take prophecy into the account ...if you didnt consider prophecy it does not have any significance and everyone is using that to their own advantages ..

by taking prophecy into the account :

We have dragons hatching right under the red comet which is called as Bleeding Star and it is also red

mel claiming that Stannis is the one at dragonstone after the red comet appears (now i would agree with Apple and Bryanfury if Stannis had waken the dragons because it was way after comet appeared)

jon being stabbed when Ser patrick is bleeding ....many believe he is the red star but actually his sigil is Blue Star which means blue star bleeding

so the comet is pretty important if you take this into account

Archived