Maegor, son of Aerion Targaryen

Belgarad

If 'well past sixty' is correct as his age, it could work. He would then be 67/68 in 300 AC.

He could be Maegor, if either Maegor himself married into ancient Pentoshi nobility, or, more likely, if Daenora took a Pentoshi nobleman as her second husband, and took Maegor with her to Pentos. That would actually fit nicely into the story, as it is very unlikely that Daenora, if she survived Maegor's birth, would be particularly eager to stay in Westeros after Aegon's ascension.

Nothing suggests that you have to be born Pentoshi to be chosen Prince, just that you have been part of the Forty Families, and you can marry into them (Illyrio did so, when he married a cousin of the Prince of Pentos). And it would actually make that Maegor, a Targaryen, and not really familiar with the Pentoshi customs, would decline the offer to become Prince (the average Pentoshi noble does not seem to do this, despite the fact that he must know what's coming in the end if he does not live through a long period of prosperity).

Rhaenys has objected to the theory on the grounds that ADwD claims the Tattered Prince was 23 when he was supposedly chosen Prince of Pentos, but that would possibly be at odds with his age as 'well past sixty' in ADwD if we take TWoIaF seriously which claims that the year the Prince went into exile was 262 AC.

If he was 23 in 262 AC, he would have been born in 239 AC, which make him exactly 60 in 299 AC, and not really 'well past sixty' when we are introduced to him in 300 AC.

Hey, that's me! :)

Quentyn never claims Tatters is well past sixty. Quetyn says past sixty.

It took the Windblown less than an hour to strike their camp. “And now we ride,” the Tattered Prince proclaimed from his huge grey war-horse, in a classic High Valyrian that was the closest thing they had to a company tongue. His stallion’s spotted hindquarters were covered with ragged strips of cloth torn from the surcoats of men his master had slain. The prince’s cloak was sewn together from more of the same. An old man he was, past sixty, yet he still sat straight and tall in the high saddle, and his voice was strong enough to carry to every corner of the field. “Astapor was but a taste,” he said, “Meereen will be the feast,” and the sellswords sent up a wild cheer. Streamers of pale blue silk fluttered from their lances, whilst fork-tailed blue-and-white banners flew overhead, the standards of the Windblown.

If Tyrion can call a 41/42 year old Oberyn "past forty", Quentyn can describe a 61 year old Tatters as "past sixty". ;)

It all fits... There's nothing strange here.

A popular theory is that the Brightflame claimants married into the Blackfyre family, and allied over common cause (the idea that both factions had been denied the throne that they thought should be theirs), and that the Blackfyre faction in play now (Illyrio, Varys, Aegon, etc.) is really a "Brightfyre" faction, descended from both the Brightflame and Blackfyre factions.

yeah, this. however unlikely, id love to see it happen. Aegon would have all three monickers, or, "heads," of the dragon, uniting Targaryen, Blackfyre, and Brightflame in one person. his existence would unite all targ ties, and put to rest all dances in the past. the concept of aegon, is more important than whether he's real or not. tyhis may have been what varys and illyrio were fighting for.

a unified targ-blooded "philosopher-king," versed in war, math, and history. thats the concept. what will happen is a different story. and if it does pan out soemwhat in this direction, you can guarentee daenerys will mess it up for them

If 'well past sixty' is correct as his age, it could work. He would then be 67/68 in 300 AC.

He could be Maegor, if either Maegor himself married into ancient Pentoshi nobility, or, more likely, if Daenora took a Pentoshi nobleman as her second husband, and took Maegor with her to Pentos. That would actually fit nicely into the story, as it is very unlikely that Daenora, if she survived Maegor's birth, would be particularly eager to stay in Westeros after Aegon's ascension.

Nothing suggests that you have to be born Pentoshi to be chosen Prince, just that you have been part of the Forty Families, and you can marry into them (Illyrio did so, when he married a cousin of the Prince of Pentos). And it would actually make that Maegor, a Targaryen, and not really familiar with the Pentoshi customs, would decline the offer to become Prince (the average Pentoshi noble does not seem to do this, despite the fact that he must know what's coming in the end if he does not live through a long period of prosperity).

I approve

😄

yeah, this. however unlikely, id love to see it happen. Aegon would have all three monickers, or, "heads," of the dragon, uniting Targaryen, Blackfyre, and Brightflame in one person. his existence would unite all targ ties, and put to rest all dances in the past. the concept of aegon, is more important than whether he's real or not. tyhis may have been what varys and illyrio were fighting for.

a unified targ-blooded "philosopher-king," versed in war, math, and history. thats the concept. what will happen is a different story. and if it does pan out soemwhat in this direction, you can guarentee daenerys will mess it up for them

The issue with that "Epilogue fairy tale" is that (f)Aegon would be the Little Briar Rose with his not so good looking eight fairy godmothers Varys, Illyrio and JonCon, plus Lemore, Duck, Haldon, Ysilla, Yandry and Tyrion, the ninth, snarling in the midst of all. Somehow Varys' epilogue speech is another of his mummer’s shows. Mirror, mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all? It's fAegon The Perfect. After five books, I don't believe in Varys, and Illyrio, well, he did look bad from the beginning.

Sansa (Snow White Apple) likes to sing, maybe fAegon likes that to, my problem with this vision is not fAegon (Aurora), it's Varys, Illyrio and even JonCon, (Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather).

PS: But who knows, GRRM has his sense of humor after all, Prince Frog ended up "fried".

ETA: By the way, in the Disney movie, Princess Aurora had a pink dress that turned to blue, that turned to pink again while she was dancing with the prince :love: . It was magic!

The fairy godmothers didn't agree on the color that's why they were changing it. (It seems that there were franchising issues because Cinderella's dress was blue, so Auroras's got to be pink.)

Like fAegon, from black to red, to black again... I love a happy ending!

I don't see why the 6/7 year gap b/t past sixty and well past sixty is that big of a deal, pegging the age of old guys isn't easy. And as Lord Varys said, the info grasped from sellswords is suspect. I think it's a plausible theory. Very unlikely to be true, but fun to speculate about.

• 8 months later...

Just a hunch, but I think GRRM intends to reveal much more of the story of Aegon V all throughout the Dunk and Egg stories. The specifics details of Aerion's son and his fate will probably be addressed. Along with other things such as Jenny of Oldstones and eventually Summerhall.

That is... if he ever gets there. At this point I'm skeptical he'll even finish the main books while I'm alive.

This would be my guess as well. If GRRM intends to finish the story of Dunk and Egg, and it appears he does, he is unlikely to reveal information about the fate of characters that will be appearing in those stories.

On another note, where is it shown that Tatters looks Valyrian?

This would be my guess as well. If GRRM intends to finish the story of Dunk and Egg, and it appears he does, he is unlikely to reveal information about the fate of characters that will be appearing in those stories.

On another note, where is it shown that Tatters looks Valyrian?

He's said to have silver hair & speaks High Valyrian. It's conceivable he could be a Targ, this quote made me think about Daemon Targaryen:

Tattered and twisty, what a rogue I am.

He's said to have silver hair & speaks High Valyrian. It's conceivable he could be a Targ, this quote made me think about Daemon Targaryen:

His description says silvered gray. This is different than silver hair since it implies his hair was something else before graying. And high Valyrian is the language of nobility in Essos. Silvered gray hair and speaking high Valyrian is not really much evidence for being Targaryen.

His description says silvered gray. This is different than silver hair since it implies his hair was something else before graying. And high Valyrian is the language of nobility in Essos. Silvered gray hair and speaking high Valyrian is not really much evidence for being Targaryen.

I didn't say it was, I was only responding to the question..

When Quentyn is in Meereen and tries to recontact the Tattered Prince he meets Zahrina:

Then a door he had not seen before swung open, and an old woman emerged, a shriveled thing in a dark red tokar fringed with tiny golden skulls. Her skin was white as mares milk, her hair so thin that he could see the scalp beneath. Dorne, she said, I be Zahrina. Purple Lotus. Go down here, you find them.

It's a match of the GC banners & jewelry

Even before they had sailed from Volon Therys, he had instructed his captains to show no banners during these first attacksnot Prince Aegons three-headed dragon, nor his own griffins, nor the skulls and golden battle standards of the company.

Marq Mandrake, whose pox-scarred face had a hole in one cheek where a slaves mark had been burned away, wore a chain of golden skulls as well.

That's the strongest piece of evidence the TP/WB are in league with the GC & thus tied to Aegon's cause. I'm not saying it's likely he's the son of Aerion, however a blood connection wouldn't shock me, maybe a bastard..

Archived