Can George finish the books before the show?

Tha Dogg Pound

7 seasons isn't confirmed, is it? Why are people saying 2017?

They've said 7 or 8 seasons in the past, but most recently have settled on 7 seasons.

''HBO renewed Game of Thrones for a fifth and sixth season''

I stand my case.

I don't see how that makes your case at all. Back in 2011, it was renewed for one season. Does that mean it was only two seasons?

The show will run 7 seasons.

Also, the link for the actors renegotiating for 7 seasons:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2014/10/game-of-thrones-actors-sign-on-for-seven-seasons

link?

There's not an actual link, that's how contracts are done usually for TV shows. And there are links about how the contracts were done for actors such as Kit Harrington, Lena Headey, Emilia Clarke, Nikolaj Coster-Waudau, Peter Dinklage, Sophie Turner, Maisie Williams and Natallie Dormer, how they all signed for seven seasons. I'll look them up, but you can google it yourself.

Which really is an spoiler in itself, as it most likely means that Cersei, Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Jaime, Sansa, Arya and Bran make it to the final season.

Edit: http://www.eonline.com/news/593383/will-game-of-thrones-massive-season-7-raises-make-them-tv-s-highest-paid-stars

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/game-thrones-cast-signs-season-744314

the show technically hasnt been renewed for 7 seasons yet but the cast has. im assuming its a money thing. its easier to plan ahead of time for how much the main actors get paid per episode but a lot harder to judge budget, writing and filming locations a couple years in advance.

I'm going to be a pedant and say that, no, it is not impossible. This has nothing to do with optimism or expectations, but the probability of him finishing both books within the next 2 years is not 0, hence it is not impossible.

I'm going to go ahead and agree that you are being a pedant. Will you settle for virtually impossible?

The only possibility for the books beating the series, is if Martin finishes and releases TWOW by fall and it has grown into two books, the second of which could be released soon after, giving two season worth of material while he finishes DOD. And yes, I realize that there is 99.999% chance that this is just a delusional fantasy on my part, there is no need to bash me.

There's not an actual link, that's how contracts are done usually for TV shows. And there are links about how the contracts were done for actors such as Kit Harrington, Lena Headey, Emilia Clarke, Nikolaj Coster-Waudau, Peter Dinklage, Sophie Turner, Maisie Williams and Natallie Dormer, how they all signed for seven seasons. I'll look them up, but you can google it yourself.

Which really is an spoiler in itself, as it most likely means that Cersei, Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Jaime, Sansa, Arya and Bran make it to the final season.

Edit: http://www.eonline.com/news/593383/will-game-of-thrones-massive-season-7-raises-make-them-tv-s-highest-paid-stars

Not really, simply signing up doesn't guarantee their presence I think. I would think it would be like the contracts Marvel is giving all its actors for multiple movie deals. It secures their prescence if the studio wants to use them but they don't HAVE to. I see no reason a main character death can't occur before Season 7, contract or no.

Unless GRRM is currently in the midst of shocking the world doing a Matrix sequels game and is writing the last two books and sitting on them until they're both done......I can't even finish that thought.

I obviously love the books and George seems to be a great guy, but his writing pace is simply not remotely close to fast enough to beat the show. I just hope we get TWOW before 2016, which is probably way too optimistic as well.

This is true, but still... I think I'm gonna stop watching it after Season 5. I don't want to "spoil" the books, even though the show really doesn't capture the richness of ASoIaF, like you said. I watch it mainly to ease the waiting for TWoW.

Elio seems to think after Ep 6 there is going to be Winds of Winter content in the show. That we will be spoiled this season.

it kinda was. season 5 - 2015, season 6 - 2016, and season 7 - 2017. d&d signed up with hbo confirmed for 7 seasons

of course, i would expect if things go well, expanding it wouldnt be out of the question.

I doubt they will expand. D&D i believe have stated there looking to be done with the show. thats its been there career path for 10 years all said and done and they want to move on to other projects.

HBO is looking to make another series inside of Westeros tho. I believe there going to make a show out of the Dunk and Egg stories.

I doubt it. But I think you're overstating how fast he wrote the first three books. Remember, it was supposed to be one book that he wrote from 1991 to 1999. There's a noticable drop in pace, but it's not as drastic as some suggest.

Yeah that's true but also remember in that time he did multiple rewrites and he didn't plan things as he went before he wrote the version we're familiar with

he planned the whole series.

I'd not really worry about HBO character spoilers and the like. There may be certain thematic spoilers like the nature of the Others and stuff we will get through the series, but considering that the show has pretty much changed every character and every event down to the smallest details, and considering that George will not have written stuff the show touches upon if they truly outrun him, there is effectively little chance that the show will spoil the books in detail.

Not having chapters and books to adapt should also enable the show runners 'to free themselves from the source material' and end the show the way they want to. And I'm pretty sure that's what they are going to do.

Archived