Which Kingsguard will be remembered?

Ser Arthur Hightower

I was rereading the Jaime chapter in AFFC where he is flicking through the White book with Loras, we hear quite a few names listed, Prince Aemon, Ser Donnel of Duskendale and Ser Ryam Redwyne were the main ones we had already heard of, along with some we have found out a bit more about since: Addison Hill, the Bastard of Cornfield, and most notably Criston Cole, the Kingmaker.

This got me wondering, which Kingsguard from the current era (Aerys II, Robert, Joffrey and Tommen) will be remembered 100 years after the series is finished?

The only ones I think will definitely not be forgotten are Jaime Lannister and Barristan Selmy, especially since they both might have a while to go yet. Arthur Dayne and Gerold Hightower deserve a place with the other top Kingsguard, but might be forgotten just because they died alone in Dorne in a battle no one knows about or particularly cares about.

What other recent knights will be remembered (or forgotten) for better or for worse?

Ser Barristan, the Bold will be remembered for sure. He has a remarkable story before he become a knight. He killed Maelys and saved Aerys in a crazy mission. Fought well in the Trident.

Ser Arthur Dayne, he was the Sword of the Morning, the most skilled swordsman with the most celebrated sword, he is praised for everyone. We don't know all Arthur's achievement. I think he didn't match Barristan in this question, but he will be remembered.

Ser Jaime Lannister. One word: Regicide. The first and (until now) only kingsguard that killed the king he sworned to protect. He will be remembered in a infamaous way, unless the reasons why he slayed Aerys became public.

Living: Barristan Selmy, Jaime Lannister, perhaps Loras Tyrell,

Dead ones: Gerold Hightower, Arthur Dayne

Wildcards: Boros Blount (right now the only KG who was fired and reinstalled apart from Barristan, served 3 kings, and let one of the royal family being captured without resistance)

Robert Strong (if his secret identity as Ungregor Qyburnstein is revealed)

Jamie, 'cause he killed his king.

There will always be other 'good ones', bad good 'bad examples' happen only once in a while.

Jamie, from an uninformed PoV, has done the one thing a Kingsguard should never do: kill the king. Thus he will stand out across the ages.

Unless, of course, if the Kingsguard disappears from the World.

Then the stories will try to emphasize the good qualities/best people of such institution, rather than the worst ones.

Loras might actually be remembered. Hopefully Balon Swann, but it seems he's going to die in some desert hell hole.

Really hope Balon can make it out alive. Seems like he is destined to go out like a boss, but I really hope he and Hotah somehow come out of that Dornish mess. Axe and morningstar >>> Dawn stealer and spear arsehole.

Really hope Balon can make it out alive. Seems like he is destined to go out like a boss, but I really hope he and Hotah somehow come out of that Dornish mess. Axe and morningstar >>> Dawn stealer and spear arsehole.

:agree:

I don't know why, but I really like Swann, just seems like a decent guy, I have a horrible feeling that Obara/Hotah is going to betray him or something terrible like that, otherwise Darkstar will surprise them when they are at each other's throats. I do think there is a decent chance of us getting a Balon prologue, and we all know what that means for the character.

What other recent knights will be remembered (or forgotten) for better or for worse?

Barristan and Jaime have both already gotten in there, and it's certain their fame / infamy will live on in legend.

Loras might be famous - depending on whether he lives after the assault on Dragonstone, or what. At minimum he'll get "gallant and pretty favourite son of House Tyrell; died of his wounds after foolishly storming Dragonstone in haste".

The Hound - being not a knight, and replacing Barristan, that is notable. Also, he deserted, so that is notable too, but at minimum people would put that down to "well, because he wasn't a knight", and forget the rest. Depends entirely on who is telling the tale.

Balon Swann has been quietly making a name for himself, and might be famous if he lives long enough.

Mandon Moore - could be better recognized if (ironically) his covert attempt to slay Tyrion became more widely known. Otherwise, no.

Whatever the hell "Robert Strong" is, he might become infamous.

Barristan. His life enough makes him a Kingsguard to remember. He even defied the crown and left King's Landing walking his way out. LOL. That's alpha male.

Arthur Dayne for obvious reasons we don't enterily know. He's the epithome of a true knight and as far as we know he is flawless.

Balon Swann might build a reputation as a great warrior and honorable, but not very much from that.

Loras is forgettable. Young, hot tempered and kinda foolish.

Dunk.

Aemon the Dragonknight. A, Arthur Dayne of his time.

Ser Barristan, the Bold will be remembered for sure. He has a remarkable story before he become a knight. He killed Maelys and saved Aerys in a crazy mission. Fought well in the Trident.

Ser Arthur Dayne, he was the Sowrd of the Morning, the most skilled swordsman with the most celebrated sword, he is praised for everyone. We don't know all Arthur's achievement. I think he didn't match Barristan in this question, but he will be remembered.

Ser Jaime Lannister. One word: Regicide. The first (until now) only kingsguard that killed the king he sworned to protect. He will be remembered in a infamaous way, unless the reasons why he slayed Aerys became public.

Agreed, but also Loras and Strong are possible, depending how things play out.

Agree that Barristan and Jaime will be forever remembered. Barristan has racked up one of the most impressive resumes IMO, and Jaime killed his king, regardless of the reasons, if Criston Cole is remembered for crowning a king, Jaime will be remembered for killing one

Arthur Dayne, the whole realm knows who he is and all pretty much agree that he is the epitome of what a knight/kingsguard should be... plus he was the Sword of the Morning

I'm not sold on Gerold Hightower being long remembered. He didn't defeat the Kingswood Bhood, that was Dayne, and there is no mention of anything great he did. He accepted Barristan into the order, and was at the TOJ... his actions don't come close to others. Same for Whent, he was more of a sidekick than anything, doesn't stand out on his own.

Balon Swann wont't be remembered either, yea he is said to be very honorable, etc. but he hasn't done anything accept fight in the Blackwater (like others did, didn't do anything extraordinary). If he succeeds in bringing Darkstar down (don't think he will, IMO he is about to be dead as well), then that is a start but he has a long way to go I believe.

Archived