[BOOK/SHOW SPOILERS] Brienne's speculated fight in S5

ni2tre

Gwendoline Christie was apparently interviewed by "New Zealand Herald", it's a lovely interview but this part is very interesting:

Christie can't say much about what season five brings, though her next combat challenge seems to involve Sandor's big brother, Gregor "The Mountain" Clegane.

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11431540

Seems like Brienne will fight with Robert Strong this season. Could he even be ready so early?

Gwendoline Christie was apparently interviewed by "New Zealand Herald", it's a lovely interview but this part is very interesting:

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11431540

Seems like Brienne will fight with Robert Strong this season. Could he even be ready so early?

Sounds awful. And sounds like BS.

Gwendoline Christie simply does not reveal key plot points like this. Sorry, but if you look at all her pre-season interviews, she never gives away anything of substance, or makes detailed comments about things even if they have been shown in trailers. She will often jokingly ask the interviewers what they think should happen or what they would like to see happen, but that is it. This report sounds to me more like a reporter's extremely 'creative' interpretation of something that Gwendoline would have laughed off as an "I'm not going to tell you anything about Season 5 " reply. Something along these lines:-

Reporter: That Season 4 fight with the Hound was great. Does Brienne fight anyone else in Season 5?

Gwen: You'll have to wait and see! (Smiles wickedly) Who do you think she could fight next?

Reporter: Oh - what about that man who killed Oberyn? The Mountain.

Gwen: (Roars with laughter) Oh, now THAT would be a good one. Yes, that would be a great fight - I'd love to do that. But of course I can't say anything. You'll just have to watch the show.

So reporter rushes away excitedly to file this 'big revelation' story. Because you just know that when Gwen said that she'd really love to fight The Mountain and it would be an epic fight, but she can't say anything about Season 5, it REALLY means that yes, she IS DEFINTELY going to fight the Mountain in S5!

Well, someone's got to fight him and beat him. Seems to me like everyone just hates Brienne. No matter what she does or what they do with her people are making excuses for why it shouldn't happen.

Brienne is the best fighter in both the books and show, and one of the strongest people.

Well, someone's got to fight him and beat him. Seems to me like everyone just hates Brienne. No matter what she does or what they do with her people are making excuses for why it shouldn't happen.

Brienne is the best fighter in both the books and show, and one of the strongest people.

I love Brienne. Her fighting the Mountain/Robert strong would be moronic. He's in Kings Landing and why would they fight? Unless the Faith randomly decides "Hey, you know who'd be a good champion? Brienne of tarth, where is she? Get her in KL"

Not even close to the best fighter in the books. Both the Mountain and the Hound are bigger, stronger, more practiced, and more experienced in real combat than her. I don't really hate her all, I just don't want to see her roaming around beating up people she has no business beating up.

The only reason Brienne beat the Hound was because he was sick and weakened and even then she still had to throw the kitchen sink at him to take him down. Brienne in the books acknowledges that Jaime would have beaten her had he not been in chains and malnourished for a year.

Just a couple of people id pick over her: Barristan, Gregor, Garlan, Greatjon Umber, Victarion, Andrik.

I can't see Brienne fighting the Mountain, as he's pretty much dead in Qyburn's lab.

If anyone does fight the big dead guy this season, it's probably Loras; as well, if they have a stand off between Cersei and the Faith, I can't think of anyone else to fight Ser Robert Strong other than Lancel, as preposterous as that sounds. He's the only one they've been concentrating on (as a Faith Militant), and he's so damned buffed up compared to when we last saw him.

Whoever is the first to fight Un-dead Gregor will almost certainly lose. I can't see them building up his character so much only to have him lose his first fight - UNLESS he fights the Hound, which isn't going to happen IMO

But yeah, Brienne vs Mountain won't happen. Makes ZERO sense geographically.

I love Brienne. Her fighting the Mountain/Robert strong would be moronic. He's in Kings Landing and why would they fight? Unless the Faith randomly decides "Hey, you know who'd be a good champion? Brienne of tarth, where is she? Get her in KL"

Trust me, I don't believe she's fighting Gregor this season or even any season. But we've still got two season's to go. Enough time to to King's Landing for some reason or another. Perhaps her and Jaime can fight him together?

Not even close to the best fighter in the books. Both the Mountain and the Hound are bigger, stronger, more practiced, and more experienced in real combat than her. I don't really hate her all, I just don't want to see her roaming around beating up people she has no business beating up.

None of those things guarantee success. That would mean Barristan is not that great either. I don't suppose standing around for years guarding a door gives you much experience. And she's had experience in real combat. We've seen her in the show and books fight in real combat. I think you're making excuses that other characters have shown to be wrong. How much experience does Jaime have? How much experience did the Hound have in fighting a woman like Brienne? That would've given him a disadvantage. She's fought knights AND commoners. As a woman she would've had to fight extra hard. Hound and Gregor counted on everyone being frightened of them.

What about Robert fighting against Rhaeger? Jaime against one of the more experience Kingswood Brotherhood?

The only reason Brienne beat the Hound was because he was sick and weakened and even then she still had to throw the kitchen sink at him to take him down. Brienne in the books acknowledges that Jaime would have beaten her had he not been in chains and malnourished for a year.

Just a couple of people id pick over her: Barristan, Gregor, Garlan, Greatjon Umber, Victarion, Andrik.

You don't know that for certain. And Jaime in the books admits that she was stronger than him:

"The realization chilled him. Robert had been stronger than him, to be sure. The Whit Bull Gerold Hightower as well, in his heyday, and Ser Arthur Dayne. Amongst the living, Greatjon Umber was stronger, Strong boar of Crakehall most likely, both Cleganes for a certainty. The Mountain's strength was like nothing human. It did not matter. With speed and skill, Jaime could beat them all. But this was a woman. A huge cow of a woman to be sure, but even so...by rights, she should be the one wearing down."

And he doesn't make any excuse about being weaker because of imprisonment. And it's not just skill and experience, it's intelligence and as well. That plays a major factor. How smart do you think this Ungregor is? Can't imagine his tactical abilities would be up to snuff without a head.

No, I'm sorry, I don't buy into the idea that she shouldn't be able to defeat all these people. Or you're favourite characters. Isn't the point of her character is that she's one of the best yet everyone underestimates only to have her prove it?

Admitting Brienne is physically stronger doesn't make a difference, as he also says in that same paragraph that he can still outmatch her with speed and skill. As for him not using his weakened state as an excuse.. it doesn't matter. He's weakened, period. And that plays a huge factor in him losing the fight.

Archived