The Magicians - SyFy [SHOW SPOILERS ONLY]

RedEyedGhost

Well, seems I'm in the minority as I loved it ! 

I'm actually co-writing and acting in a web-series taking place in a (weird-as-shit) asylum and I saw there a few themes we used, so it amused me (and it's a kind of "game with the audience" I really like) so I'm biased, but I really enjoyed the shit out of this episode !

43 minutes ago, Arkash said:

Well, seems I'm in the minority as I loved it ! 

I'm actually co-writing and acting in a web-series taking place in a (weird-as-shit) asylum and I saw there a few themes we used, so it amused me (and it's a kind of "game with the audience" I really like) so I'm biased, but I really enjoyed the shit out of this episode !

I thought it was pretty good too. I'm a show watcher only. Haven't read the books.

In the end the episode was good, but 35 minutes of Quentin in the spell was too much.  And the Dean must be a pretty effing stupid magician if he didn't realize the school's defences drop when he called for the scorpion-thing and didn't protect the school some other way.  The fact that strangers could appear on the grounds without alarms set off is really shocking, or if not on the grounds but in his office.  Hell, they had Julia there, shouldn't that be a clue something bad is going on?

Maybe I just resent the Taylor Swift hatred.  :P

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

In the end the episode was good, but 35 minutes of Quentin in the spell was too much.  And the Dean must be a pretty effing stupid magician if he didn't realize the school's defences drop when he called for the scorpion-thing and didn't protect the school some other way.  The fact that strangers could appear on the grounds without alarms set off is really shocking, or if not on the grounds but in his office.  Hell, they had Julia there, shouldn't that be a clue something bad is going on?

Was it like that in the source material?

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

It was laughably easy for Marina and Julia to get into Brakebills. Still I enjoyed the episode once I figured out what the hell was going on. I'd really like to see more Julia and less of the Brakebills kids.

I loved the episode, and thought it was very well handled. Classic "everything is in my head" episode that every supernatural show (and a few others) does, but still, well done.

The only downside is the easy way in and out of Brakebills. That is stupid indeed.

I don't get the hedge witches. Well, I get they're all Dark Willow, but what do they do all day? Aside from Julia robbing an ATM and she and Marina KOing Quentin and breaking into Brakebills, what exactly do they do? And yes, totally lame that a school that has already been attacked wasn't prepared for secondary measures after taking down the wards. I get they had to act fast but still, poor writing.

I didn't mind that much of the episode took place inside Quentin's dreamscape, as it were. Don't actually like any of the characters to this point. *L* But I'm ok with that.

I find myself not really paying much attention to the storylines besides Julia's. She's really a trainwreck, but also the most interesting character. I really am sticking around because I enjoy the creativity and fx with the magic. I wish they'd deal more with Fillory, assuming that is the main storyline.

Also, poor cancer puppy.

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 1:46 AM, Fragile Bird said:

I know nothing about the books this series is based on.  But after reading the rest of this thread, I see that my immediate reaction that this a mash-up of Harry Potter and Narnia is pretty accurate.  They could have called it Wizzard U and the Obnoxious Grad Students.  I assume this will be populated by cynical sexed up wizards with a level of violence kicked up from what we saw at Hogwarts.

Quentin so far doesn't strike me as a douche, just depressed, as others mentioned.

I was explaining on Facebook that my brother had lent me some of the novels he likes to read to relax, as a change from the Sci-fi, Fantasy and murder mysteries I like, stuff Ini called airport fiction, books by David Baldacci, Harlan Corben, Patricia Cornwell, Steve Martini et al.  All of them have a lot of violence, conspiracies, corruption at the highest ranks, like senators and congressman and police chiefs bribed by billionaires or foreign governments.  What is it with this conspiracy shit, I said.  Oh, he said, Americans love reality fiction.

This series reminds me of those books.  Gratuitous violence, secret conspiracies, impending doom, blah blah blah blah.  Airport fiction.

Fun.  Just like airport fiction.  But shit.

ETA:  About that last scene...

I don't think just saying, "it's all a lie" is enough to pass the test, I think something along the lines of "I am owned body and soul by a powerful hedge witch who is using me as a spy" is what would be required to satisfy the test of the highest essential truth.

Archived