Who should Stannis have married?

Beorn Snow

You are advising Robert and Jon Arryn.

Robert is married to Cersei but Stannis unmarried, let´s ignore whether he is already promised to Selyse Florent and ask ourselves and advice Stannis on which family he should try to create a marriage alliance with.

I´d say that as Robert´s heir and holder of Dragonstone Stannis is a good catch for any lord looking to marry his daughter. With Westerlands assured through Cersei, Jon Arryn ruling in the Vale and Ned+Cat shoring up the Riverlands and North, Robert is right to seek allies in the Reach. After all, the Reach fought for the Targaryens. (Although a dornish bride might not be a bad idea either).

The Florent girl was a good match for Stannis, it puts the Tyrells in check by tying them to the royal family, albeit not too directly.

It's a subtle threat, and House Florent is prestigious enough for the match to work.

Robert is Crowned in 284, Stannis is married in 286/87.

It depends who was willing. I am sure that a Hightower daughter would have been preferable but they may have been unwilling to deal with the Baratheons so soon after the wedding. Same with many other prominent Reach and Dornish Houses. 

Clearly relations were still a little frosty between the former royalists and the Usurper for a few years after the war. One of the main reasons Balon rebels is that he is convinced that Robert does not have the support of the entire realm.

The Florents may have been the most powerful Reach House willing to male that kind of alliance.

Robert is Crowned in 284, Stannis is married in 286/87.

It depends who was willing. I am sure that a Hightower daughter would have been preferable but they may have been unwilling to deal with the Baratheons so soon after the wedding. Same with many other prominent Reach and Dornish Houses. 

Clearly relations were still a little frosty between the former royalists and the Usurper for a few years after the war. One of the main reasons Balon rebels is that he is convinced that Robert does not have the support of the entire realm.

The Florents may have been the most powerful Reach House willing to male that kind of alliance.

Well at least as far as the Reach goes I don't understand this idea that they'd be frosty and not want to marry into the royal family because of that. For the most part they didn't seem to have any major loyalty to the crown.

Well at least as far as the Reach goes I don't understand this idea that they'd be frosty and not want to marry into the royal family because of that. For the most part they didn't seem to have any major loyalty to the crown.

They had enough loyalty to go to war when they were called. Some, especially so soon after the war, would still consider Robert a Usurper and Viserys the true king.

Well, being Robert's heir is a temporary thing. With Robert's fertility he'll have sons aplenty soon enough. And Dragonstone may have some prestige but it's a fairly poor castle. Stannis is bitter that he got stuck with it and not the much richer Storm's End. 

I really see Selyse as a good match for Stannis; both of them are truly grim individuals.

The scary part is, maybe that would have been a great match. 

I do not think it would be a great match.

but it will be very interesting to see her reaction towards Rhaegar's eloping with Lyanna. 

Will Robert try to kill and depose the husband of his own sister?

Will Stannis be mad that her husband stole his own wife's good sister?

What a great scandal!

I do not think it would be a great match.

I meant personality-wise. Stannis is also swayed by a prophecy. He adopts a whole new religion because of it. You could argue that he's being pragmatic and using Mel for her magical advantage, but leaving the faith is a huge gamble in Westeros, so I don't think it's a stretch to say that he believes some of it at least a little. 

Stannis is serious and tries really hard to fulfill what he thinks are his responsibilities. Sounds pretty compatible with Rhaegar to me as long as they don't find their duties conflicting.

But whether the daughter of a Storm Lord is a suitable match for the Crown Prince under the political circumstances of the time, I have no idea.

I meant personality-wise. Stannis is also swayed by a prophecy. He adopts a whole new religion because of it. You could argue that he's being pragmatic and using Mel for her magical advantage, but leaving the faith is a huge gamble in Westeros, so I don't think it's a stretch to say that he believes some of it at least a little. 

Stannis is serious and tries really hard to fulfill what he thinks are his responsibilities. Sounds pretty compatible with Rhaegar to me as long as they don't find their duties conflicting.

But whether the daughter of a Storm Lord is a suitable match for the Crown Prince under the political circumstances of the time, I have no idea.

Yes, I think their personality and background and blood will fit. They are also second cousins. 

But the problem is that Rhaegar will not be happy with any woman except Lyanna. 

So it is impossible to have a great match between rhaegar and a non-Lyanna woman. 

Gatehouse Amy because that would be hilarious and Stannis would grind his teeth to chalk dust with her flitting about.

And I like saying the name  Gatehouse Amy. I chuckle everytime. Now that I think about it, it could make Stannis chuckle too and then it would be a win/win for him.

They both got dat der Targ semi madness

Actually if a girl stannis is as enthusiastic to prophecy as a male stannis, maybe he will help rhaegar to sleep with Lyanna. 

For example, Rhaegar has no need to hide in TOJ, they can hide in DS to make baby.

It may be better, at least rhaegar will try to save those Starks.  

The Florent girl was a good match for Stannis, it puts the Tyrells in check by tying them to the royal family, albeit not too directly.

It's a subtle threat, and House Florent is prestigious enough for the match to work.

A Florent might have been a good match. Selyse was not. She was a Florent girl of no consequence. Stannis was a lord and the King's brother with thousands of swords that could be rallied to his side. He married far below his station. Had he married one of Alester's daughters I'd think that would fit.

As to who he should have married, that depends. Given his status as brother to a King, a LP family would seem right, but none to marry in his age group. Perhaps a Hightower daughter.

You are advising Robert and Jon Arryn.

Robert is married to Cersei but Stannis unmarried, let´s ignore whether he is already promised to Selyse Florent and ask ourselves and advice Stannis on which family he should try to create a marriage alliance with.

I´d say that as Robert´s heir and holder of Dragonstone Stannis is a good catch for any lord looking to marry his daughter. With Westerlands assured through Cersei, Jon Arryn ruling in the Vale and Ned+Cat shoring up the Riverlands and North, Robert is right to seek allies in the Reach. After all, the Reach fought for the Targaryens. (Although a dornish bride might not be a bad idea either).

Find the girl you want to drive to misery and then set her up with Stannis.  Jk, Stannis is not Mr. Fun but he's better than that womanizer Robert.  I'm saying Lady Dustin and Stannis. 

Archived