Nitpicking: The Next Generation

TrackerNeil

57 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

I often wonder this. Considering it's a lot of people's favourite Trek, it has a dire first two seasons. Can you imagine if the new series kicked off as badly? It wouldn't stand a chance of surviving.

Maybe Marvel's Agents of SHIELD could be a more recent example of a show that survived (and improved) after a dismal first season?

SHIELD wasn't anywhere near as bad as TNG in its first season, just bland and boring. It also hasn't ever reached anything resembling the heights of TNG's best moments. And if it hadn't been the spinoff of a ridiculously successful movie franchise, it might not have gotten the numbers for a second season.

TNG ran in syndication, not tied to one specific network.

Presumably interest in Trek was relatively high at the time. Not only had the original show become enough of a cultural touchstone, but the most recent film had also been a hit. That combined with different standards at the time is probably a sufficient explanation.

It wouldn't work today, and that's one of the bigger concerns with the plan to tie the new series to one exclusive streaming service.

"Everybody's just wearing really bizarre clothes" - Star Trek's costume design philosophy in a nutshell.:P

I think I would have liked Lwaxana a lot more if the character had been written as a little more self-aware, making it clear that at least half the time she acts the way she does because she enjoys messing with people (particularly stuffy Starfleet types) rather than having it seemingly arise from aristocratic snobbery. As written, I find the character very hit and miss, probably with more misses than hits.

Next episode introduces everyone's favourite Star Trek plot device: malfunctioning holodecks!

On 3/16/2016 at 10:18 PM, Aemon Stark said:

For some reason the most recent episode isn't appearing in iTunes.

I'm sorry about this--there's some weirdness going on that we hope to fix tonight. (We've been super-busy this week.) Until then you can stream or download the episode from www.peccable.com. Thanks for sticking with us!

UPDATE: The episode should now be visible.

Archived