Has anyone read______?

Muwhahaha

I looked 6 pages in and didn't see a thread like this.  So, this is where you ask if anyone has read ..........whatever.  I'll start:

Has anyone read the Heresy Within (The Ties that Bind series) by Rob J. Hayes?  And if so, what did you think?

Also, what about: Drake by Peter McLean, Flex (Mancer series) by Ferrett Steinmetz, and Something Coming Through by Paul McAuley

Flex (Mancer series) by Ferrett Steinmetz

I have.  It was OK, but overall it's just middle of the road UF.  I did like how they mages developed their own extremely unique styles of magic, and the blowback from using magic was well handled.  And the climax, it had an excellent ending.  Maybe I liked it more than I thought I did.  I'm sure I'll get around to Flux at some point.

I read A Heresy Within.  It was OK.  We can argue about what Grimdark or if it exists for days but the author seemed to have a handbook on how to write it.  Tried very hard to be the grimmest and darkest around.

I read A Heresy Within.  It was OK.  We can argue about what Grimdark or if it exists for days but the author seemed to have a handbook on how to write it.  Tried very hard to be the grimmest and darkest around.

There's a handbook?  Shit, maybe you should let CT or Punt barrow it. 

yeah, I don't remember being able to get through that one. 

16 hours ago, Muwhahaha said:

Has anyone read the Heresy Within (The Ties that Bind series) by Rob J. Hayes?  And if so, what did you think?

Also, what about: Drake by Peter McLean, Flex (Mancer series) by Ferrett Steinmetz, and Something Coming Through by Paul McAuley

The Heresy Within was so full of typos, proofreading errors, and bad editing, that I couldn't enjoy it even if it was well written, which it wasn't. 

I finished Drake a couple of days ago and thought it was an exceptionally good dark urban fantasy story with lots of humor and an interesting voice that reminded me of Peter Roman's Books of Cross series. The mixture of Judeo-Christian and Greek mythoi was handled well. Character development of protagonists and antagonists was very good too. This is one series whose future books I am definitely looking forward to reading.

I found Flex to be quite original and enjoyed both it and its sequel The Flux. They were good creepy urban fantasy. There's a lot of room for a variety of 'mancer types that can make the series maintain its level of goodness. I've already pre-ordered Fix, the next book in the series, so that I can further satisfy my fix for it.. 

2 hours ago, Wrychard Wrycthen said:

Has anyone read "Handling The Undead" by John Ajvide Lindqvist? At the beginning of each chapter he has a location and then some numbers which are not dates, they may be times possibly but it's not clear. Anyone know?

They are times. See the Overview that begins with:

23.10—23.20: The dead come back to life at every morgue in the Greater Stockholm area.

23.18: An old man is observed on the street, completely naked, outside the aged care facility in Solkatten.

(This is on page 71 in the hardcover edition.)

17 hours ago, Puntificator said:

They are times. See the Overview that begins with:

23.10—23.20: The dead come back to life at every morgue in the Greater Stockholm area.

23.18: An old man is observed on the street, completely naked, outside the aged care facility in Solkatten.

(This is on page 71 in the hardcover edition.)

They use military time in Sweden? Thank you ...

6 hours ago, Andorion said:

Has anyone read the Engineer trilogy by KJ Parker?

I've only read his Sharps, which was excellent but I've asked enough times about Engineer; there's no consensus.  Some say it's great, others that it's shit.  Both agree that it's slow, depressing, and there's no magic.  However, it's well written, deep, and intellectually satisfying.  Most suggest reading Sharps, the Folding Knife, and some of his other works.

33 minutes ago, Muwhahaha said:

I've only read his Sharps, which was excellent but I've asked enough times about Engineer; there's no consensus.  Some say it's great, others that it's shit.  Both agree that it's slow, depressing, and there's no magic.  However, it's well written, deep, and intellectually satisfying.  Most suggest reading Sharps, the Folding Knife, and some of his other works.

I tried to start The Company but it was way too slow for me. Maybe some would like it.

9 hours ago, Andorion said:

Has anyone read the Engineer trilogy by KJ Parker?

A good portion of the board has.  It often shows up on the recommendation lists that sporadically show their face around here.

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

I love it. People that don't are obviously CYLONS!

And wow, I think The Company is one of his fastest paced books. IF you thought that was slow you should probably avoid the rest. To be fair, they are very slow, but I like slow.

Yea, I think I will avoid the others lawl. To each their own of course. :ack:

Archived