If Robb didn't have to marry a Frey, who do you think he'd have married?

James Steller

1 hour ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

I don't understand why  people keep saying Dacey. She was too low for Robb and she had nothing to offer. Unlike Wylla or even Alys. 

I assume their rational when looking at Dacey is the fact that House Mormont is incredibly loyal to the Starks, Dacey is unfailingly devoted to Robb, and she's basically Brienne if Brienne was a bit more conventionally attractive. I personally don't think she'd be a good choice, due to her age compared to Robb (her younger sister already has two kids) and her position as heir to House Mormont.

As to your suggestion, Alys was already engaged and Wylla won't be of age for years.

Really, apart from the Mormonts, there were very few Northern girls readily available for marriage. Lady Cerwyn and Barbrey Dustin were twice Robb's age, the Tallhart and Glover girls are far too young, Wynafrid is of age and available, albeit slightly older than Robb, though her position as Wylis' heir makes things a bit complicated.

That said I think Wynafrid would still have been the best option for Robb.

4 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

So if he was alive he should had wait until DotD2.0 to marry? That doesn't sound very possible.

It was his own foolishness getting himself killed which made it impossible.

21 hours ago, King Floki of the Ironborn said:

I assume their rational when looking at Dacey is the fact that House Mormont is incredibly loyal to the Starks, Dacey is unfailingly devoted to Robb, and she's basically Brienne if Brienne was a bit more conventionally attractive. I personally don't think she'd be a good choice, due to her age compared to Robb (her younger sister already has two kids) and her position as heir to House Mormont.

As to your suggestion, Alys was already engaged and Wylla won't be of age for years.

Really, apart from the Mormonts, there were very few Northern girls readily available for marriage. Lady Cerwyn and Barbrey Dustin were twice Robb's age, the Tallhart and Glover girls are far too young, Wynafrid is of age and available, albeit slightly older than Robb, though her position as Wylis' heir makes things a bit complicated.

That said I think Wynafrid would still have been the best option for Robb.

My point is that Dacey was give it or take it at least 15 year older than Robb, her family was a noble one but they had no wealth or prestige and they were already Stark men. What was the point of a marriage like that? What more do this marriage would had offer to Robb that he didn't already had? Maybe a younger daughter for Rickon or Bran would had been ok but the Lord of the House? No way. 

My mistake about Alys. However I don't believe that Wynafrid was the best option since she was already the heir, of the heir, Wylla on the other hand would had been the best option.

17 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

It was his own foolishness getting himself killed which made it impossible.

That doesn't make sense. Why should anyone on GRRTH had to expect that Dany would come back and most importantly why the son of a rebel should wait for the woman whose father his father helped to overthrown. Let's not forget that by the time of Robb's "own foolishness" Dany was already married and pregnant.

38 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

That doesn't make sense. Why should anyone on GRRTH had to expect that Dany would come back and most importantly why the son of a rebel should wait for the woman whose father his father helped to overthrown. Let's not forget that by the time of Robb's "own foolishness" Dany was already married and pregnant.

She may have been open to the idea and not punished him for the sins of his father as I expect he wouldn't hold the sins of hers against her.

You do make a good point about him being rebel scum though, as you may have gathered I'm somewhat of an Imperialist.

6 minutes ago, Lord Sidious said:

She may have been open to the idea and not punished him for the sins of his father as I expect he wouldn't hold the sins of hers against her.

You do make a good point about him being rebel scum though, as you may have gathered I'm somewhat of an Imperialist.

Again. She was already married, pregnant, and half the world away. Why anyone should had expected for her to come back?

16 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Again. She was already married, pregnant, and half the world away. Why anyone should had expected for her to come back?

Heeding the messages of little birds, or just plain old foresight, still, he paid the price for his lack of vision.....

4 minutes ago, Lord Sidious said:

Of course I am serious, clearly you are mistaken, about a great many things.

Ok so you actually mean that Robb should had put his life on hold for a married and pregnant woman in a other end of the world who may or may not come to Westeros where she have never been before. Ok. I see.

4 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Ok so you actually mean that Robb should had put his life on hold for a married and pregnant woman in a other end of the world who may or may not come to Westeros where she have never been before. Ok. I see.

To forge an alliance that would earn him the Iron Throne, yes of course he should, are you suggesting it would have been a worse course of action than the one he actually embarked on, which left him and a lot of his soldiers, you know.....dead.

3 minutes ago, Lord Sidious said:

To forge an alliance that would earn him the Iron Throne, yes of course he should, are you suggesting it would have been a worse course of action than the one he actually embarked on, which left him and a lot of his soldiers, you know.....dead.

:bang::bang::bang: I don't know what I keep reading or even thinking about seriously responding to this one.

Assuming Wot5K never happens, I'm pretty sure Ned would have chosen a northern girl for Robb. Partly because Ned had no southern ambitions, partly because a northern marriage was due after Brandon's, Lyanna's and Sansa's betrothals (and even Rickard married his own cousin and not a bannerman's daughter). I see 3 likely candidates:

Wylla Manderley - most likely. The Manderleys are the most powerful bannermen, so it's a good idea to keep them sweet. I can also see Cat favouring this match for political reasons. Wynafryd is heiress, so best avoided and Wylla is closer to Robb's age anyway.

Meera Reed - Ned might have wanted to reward his good friend Howland Reed, although this might have got awkward if/when Jojen died.

Lyanna Mormont (or whichever one is closest to Robb's age) - Ned might have felt this necessary to smooth over the Jorah affair, although the Mormonts don't seem to hold that against the Starks. And I can't see Cat being happy with her son marrying someone whose father is unknown (and most likely not Lady Maege's husband). Just think of the children, though, with two skinchanger parents!

Then there's the fact that Dany would view Robb as the son of one of the Usurper's Dogs, the product of a union which ensured the overthrow, ruination, and death of the majority of her family.

I highly doubt that even if Robb had somehow managed to remain alive he'd be an attractive option to Dany. Looking at the two scenarios likely to

Option A] Say he'd accepted being King of the North alone, while telling the Riverlords to choose either Renly or Stannis, and then shuffled off and encamped in the North for the rest of the war while fending off attempts from whoever wins in the south to send armies North in an attempt to overthrow his rule

Option B] Or if Robb had gotten word of Jeor Mormont nearly being assassinated and the news of the Wildling threat reaching south of the Wall sooner, Robb had instead said "I don't care who gets the Iron Throne, I'm just going to go do my duty as Warden of the North to ensure the realm isn't overrun with Wildlings, so whoever wins--bully for you," and had said that attempting a go at independence so soon to Winter was madness if the South cut them off from trade and Winter lasted long--and wasn't being pressured to go along with his bannermen's schemes like a teenager who didn't know his own mind (which he was)

Option C] Or if Robb somehow manages to beat the Lannisters into a draw (the key to that would be the death of Tywin and also either Stannis or Renly taking King's Landing but not holding it for long) and coming to an armistice agreement with someone like Kevan Lannister who re-installs Tommen after taking King's Landing back from either Renly or Stannis (Cersei & Joffrey died during a siege of King's Landing, while Sansa disappears with a not-a-knight); and somehow all of Lord Walder's daughters and granddaughters happen to die so Robb is free from his obligation (let's say that the Twins get put under siege or a sudden outbreak of pox runs rampant in the Riverlands towards the end of the war), or Robb fulfills his obligation and say marries Roslin, who promptly dies in childbirth either with the child or with only giving him a daughter.

In any of the three above scenarios that keep Robb alive and in relative power, I don't see Dany seeing Robb as a good option. In two he's a rival king she has to put down (or if he takes a cue from his ancestor--he kneels and she tersely accepts his kneeling), it's really only in the third--when Robb has proven to be the only Lord doing his duty to fight the others--and say Dany comes to see that fight as being more important than the quarrels over who wins the Iron Throne in the south, that Dany might--in the aftermath of the war--come to respect him in the fight along side of him against the Others, and might consider it . But that option would require Robb to not go for Kingship, but instead focus on his duty as Warden of the North IMO.

22 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

I don't understand why  people keep saying Dacey. She was too low for Robb and she had nothing to offer. Unlike Wylla or even Alys. 

The Starks have married Flints before. House Mormont is no lower than them

22 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

The Starks have married Flints before. House Mormont is no lower than them

I am well aware of that. But Arya was married to the fifth son, and a noted adventurer, of Lord Beron not the first and heir Donnor or even Willam. That is why I clarified it by saying;

15 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Maybe a younger daughter for Rickon or Bran would had been ok but the Lord of the House? No way. 

Archived