The Theatre Troupe

WolfQueenArya

1 hour ago, RedShirt47 said:

Wouldn't it be somewhat ironic if what Arya learnt from the FM was actually to be Arya Stark. Since she left King's Landing she has been Arry, Weasel, Nymeria/Nan, Cat of the Canals amongst others. She hasn't been Arya Stark properly for a very long time. Perhaps by trying to become No-One she actually rediscovers who she actually is.

I can see this happening. Obviously Jaqen has some grand plan or motif that we don't know about yet. The whole Braavos and HoBaW is completely different in the books, so show wise this does seem like the case. Based off filming pics and trailers, it looks like Arya will come back to herself, will not kill the actress, become a member of the theatre troupe and leave. The Waif chasing her might be in King's Landing. After the theatre troupe is done in King's Landing then they will go to the Twins. Don't know where Jaqen comes into play--maybe we will come across the 'real' Jaqen! 

How does this sound? I like it. Arya then can reunite with Nymeria. 

4 hours ago, RedShirt47 said:

Wouldn't it be somewhat ironic if what Arya learnt from the FM was actually to be Arya Stark. Since she left King's Landing she has been Arry, Weasel, Nymeria/Nan, Cat of the Canals amongst others. She hasn't been Arya Stark properly for a very long time. Perhaps by trying to become No-One she actually rediscovers who she actually is.

Yes, I think you are right.  I have always been a fan of Arya's storyline because it has been one of the least predictable.  Interested to see how it plays out in TWOW.  Looking forward to that Sansa-Arya reunion!  Only then will we truly see how much both of their characters have changed.

On 5/23/2016 at 2:25 AM, Good Guy Garlan said:

The Waif is smug as hell and she's always pissed, but yeah, I wouldn't put it past Jaqen that he chose her specifically for this mission to see her reaction. Like that's the real test, not so much the actual killing. 

Given how smart Jaqen appears to be, you have to assume he knows that Arya still has needle stashed away somewhere as well. 

At this point, it appears as though Arya is USING The Many Faced God for her own benefits, rather than fully buying into it's faith. 

That can't sit well with Jaqen - my guess is they are going to clash at some point (maybe even a scenario where Arya refuses to kill the theater actress). 

19 hours ago, WinterCloak said:

Like how some people know so little about what's happening in other countries in our world? Some people don't care because they don't think it affects them. Others don't care because they just don't, they're just ignorant. Others may take an interest only to make themselves feel superior for not having those woes. 

There will always be those who care/take an interest. Do I find it shocking that a sizeable portion of a population doesn't care about a devastating war/genocide? No.

I think the point is that the actors care about what is going on in politics. It is very likely that the reason they are in Bravos in the first place is that the High Sparrow has banned plays in Kings Landing. 

18 hours ago, GeorgeIAF said:

Could it be actually Cersei who paid for Lady Crane's death ? She said to Qyburn in an earlier episode that she wants those who make fun of her dead. Maybe Qyburn's birds told him about the Theatre Troupe and so on and we know that hiring a FM is not cheap, i don't think it was the young actress who hired them, i don't think she had the money. 

Maybe Arya will learn that Cersei hired them, and this will be another reason to have her at the top of her list. 

Could be Cersei. But surely Tyrion is higher priority.

More likely the Faceless men would be out to kill Cersei for the Iron Bank.

12 hours ago, RedShirt47 said:

That is what I suspect may be the case. 

It could just be a test - maybe no one hired a VM and Jaquen just wants to see Arya's reaction and hear her reasoning. The bottle might contain a placebo. It would tie in with her not being ready and the fact that in the books there's a working relationship between the acting group and FM. 

I loved the Mercy chapter and I couldn't wait to see the mummer's once I heard the show was doing the play. I have been disappointed that it's taken so long to have Arya interact with the group and only see her continue to get beat instead of training with the mummers. I think we will see more though.

But I do like that they placed the play in this episode because of the parallel with Bran, Arya is visiting the past too. I also thought it was poignant how Arya is watching the performance from the crowd since it's the same with Ned's beheading in season1. This might be all that is needed for her to change course.

On 5/10/2016 at 8:51 AM, Pies are coming said:

In the books she's learning:

Warging (although not because the FM intend her to do so)

Disguising herself (and a lot better than her time at Harrenhall if we go by the released TWOW chapter)

espionage

poisoning

Maybe in the future, glamours

So, for all we know, by the second half of TWOW/ADOS we'll have a POV of someone (let's say, Cersei, Jaime, Arianne or Sansa) were a hitherto unknown character is introduced only for us to suspect, several chapters later, that this new character has killed people of importance and it's actually Arya.

In the show, she's learning:

To be hit

Maybe just a bit of staff fighting

Something about poisons (hey, that's new!)

Stealing faces from the basement

Agreed.  Her story in the show has been a disappointment.  Her trainers seem openly hostile to her here, whereas that's not the vibe I got in the book.  She seems to be having a very difficult time in her training in the show.  Didn't get that impression in the book.  It's just off.  It's not simply a matter of the show being different, it's a matter of the book being better in my opinion.

On 5/13/2016 at 4:56 AM, Smoke317 said:

Question about the faceless men. I believe it's hinted that faceless men are expensive assassins but I thought Jaquen kinda stated that they usually take contracts if people have been wronged and come seeking their services. So which is it?  And if they just do hits for the most money, why haven't the masters of slavers bay hired them to kill Dany long ago?  Or even the warlocks?  And could the father who's child was burned by drogon higher them to kill Dany?  And could this be a contract given to Arya that could tie her back into the main story?

I could be mistaken, but I feel like I recall some speculation that the assassination attempt that Barristan Selmy saves Dany from might have been the Faceless Men.  Might have pulled that from nothing though.

28 minutes ago, Sigrid said:

I could be mistaken, but I feel like I recall some speculation that the assassination attempt that Barristan Selmy saves Dany from might have been the Faceless Men.  Might have pulled that from nothing though.

No, that was one of the Sorrowful Men from Qarth.

May have gotten it from the books may have made it up, but I think the Faceless Men charge differently depending on the person.  As in they would do it for cheap/free for a poor person, but Tywin Lannister would have to pay a fortune.

3 hours ago, Philpenn said:

May have gotten it from the books may have made it up, but I think the Faceless Men charge differently depending on the person.  As in they would do it for cheap/free for a poor person, but Tywin Lannister would have to pay a fortune.

You're correct. That info is all from the book. Just like the info that a Faceless Man can't kill anyone they know. 

On 25 May 2016 at 3:36 AM, Elaena Targaryen said:

I loved the Mercy chapter and I couldn't wait to see the mummer's once I heard the show was doing the play. I have been disappointed that it's taken so long to have Arya interact with the group and only see her continue to get beat instead of training with the mummers. I think we will see more though.

But I do like that they placed the play in this episode because of the parallel with Bran, Arya is visiting the past too. I also thought it was poignant how Arya is watching the performance from the crowd since it's the same with Ned's beheading in season1. This might be all that is needed for her to change course.

love your points

Archived