Where did half of Stannis's army go?

The oath breakers could also be the half of the army which deserted Stannis after Shireen was burned alive last series. 

Where did they go? Who will they join? The Boltons, Karstarks, Mandaleys, Umbers or someone else?

These men may be particularly anti-Stannis now and certainly anti- Melisandre. So i can't see them joining Jon in the future, if Mel is with him, when/if he eventually marches south.

The deserters/oathbreakers made up half of Stannis's army including all the sellswords & horses. Where did these resources go?  I can't remember any character mentioning them from the Bolton scenes? Did i miss something? 

6 minutes ago, White Harbors Wrath said:

It's assumed they were sellswords and the loyal Baratheon troops are what died. There will never be mention of them again.

Yup, I can almost see them rowing the same boat Gendry and the missing-in-action Bolton dogs have been rowing for a while. I think it might be getting crowdy.

Sellswords would find someone else to fight for. It's also not stated what % of the deserted half were sellswords, nor if they were a majority.

Stannis's army (1/2) & all the horses are still unaccounted for. I just wonder where they will go. It would certainly throw Ramsays numbers off.

I assumed they joined Ramsey's army, although thinking about that it really wouldn't follow unless the Boltons paid them a huge amount of money like Stannis did. They probably just cut their losses and got the hell out of there and back to where they originally came from.

They probably joined Ramsay Sue's army as he could offer them a certain victory. That's quite a good offer. And after defeating Stannis' household troops they went to where sellswords go. If they hadn't fought for Boltons, there would have been a sellsword army without a host on the move in the North and northmen probably don't suffer such that easily on their lands. By fighting for Boltons they proved some loyalty to current lords of the lands and that granted them a safe passage off from the North.

That's at least how Kitty thinks they did.

My thought is same as others, they went to where whores go...and that place is a row boat circling kings landing with Gendry, the brotherhood without banners and the dogs.

There's always the chance that they simply died, at least most of them. It is bloody cold and they have virtually no knowledge of the land they're in or of how to survive in a snowstorm like that. Wouldn't be ideal, but at least it would be plausible. But I'm still holding on to the hope that one of them will come back to the Wall and tell Davos what Melisandre had Stannis do.

Well normally, armies in antiquity and medieval era had a "wagon" that followed the actual army. They were families, whores, slaves, even everything that individual soldiers/knights considered theirs. 

If there were desertering, they would just sneak into those camps/wagons, grab their things and leave. It's a lot like the dothraki 

so wher could these people have gone. Back home, to Ramsey, some might have go to a lord..etc

Archived