MMA & Boxing 18: "I'm The World Champion!"

Davrum

So...Pettis is done. I have no idea where he goes from here but all the easy roads are gone now. Showtime is essentially dead. He's just another possible Top 5 LW (and he has to work for that).

If he'd made weight and won he'd be this close to a belt.Instead...see above.

10 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

He said he's going back to lightweight because the cut is too rough for him right? 

Really great night of fights. 

I think he was going back regardless. The noises Dana made implied that he didn't trust him to make the cut. 

Considering that he somehow got himself one fight near a title shot that's bad news for him. He's run out of runway really. 

On 12/11/2016 at 7:55 AM, KiDisaster said:

He said he's going back to lightweight because the cut is too rough for him right? 

Really great night of fights. 

Yeah, he said at the end that he simply cannot make the FW weight, he tried but did not succeed.

Cerrone did make a post-match comment where he said, "is this how I look like when I fight at 155?"  when referencing Pettis this weekend, and said that he does not want that anymore either, he will stay at welterweight from now on.

Anyway, what a fantastic round of fights this weekend.

Boxing: Chisora vs Whyte was just amazing and certainly made up for Joshua vs Molina.

Kickboxing: Glory Collision turned out to be a disappointment. Verhoeven won the fight because of an injury to Badr Hari.

UFC 2016: Wow. Just...... Choi vs Swanson fight of the year? Brown vs Cerrone was also very good. Gastellum vs Kennedy was also great to watch. The main event wasn't fantastic, due to Pettis' broken hand in round 1 already. That completely changed it. Still, looked like Holloway was on his way to winning that anyway.

Holloway fighting in the fw division at 5'11 btw. Even Pettis couldn't make it and he's 5'10.

After all the bad luck they had trying to put UFC-206 together it turned out to be one of the events of the year, maybe second equal with UFC-205 behind UFC-199.

You win some I guess.

Can't wait for Aldo vs Holloway.

On 12/12/2016 at 11:27 AM, Calibandar said:

Yeah, he said at the end that he simply cannot make the FW weight, he tried but did not succeed.

Cerrone did make a post-match comment where he said, "is this how I look like when I fight at 155?"  when referencing Pettis this weekend, and said that he does not want that anymore either, he will stay at welterweight from now on.w division at 5'11 btw. Even Pettis couldn't make it and he's 5'10.

Meh,Cerrone is giving himself too much credit. His problems at 155 had little to do with weight cutting. He has problems with top fighters is all. That's why people like RDA get the better of him. He's a good Top 5 LW but someone always gets him when his streak culminates in a shot or the prelude to a shot. The exact same thing could happen to him at WW if he goes up against the higher end of the rankings.

Pettis couldn't even make weight. But then, I don't think his problems are limited to weight either.

Women's Featherweight division is officially happening. Holm vs Randamie for the inaugural belt. Pretty cool. 

I guess they didn't want to make Cyborg the champion right away so there's room for some successful challenges :P

If Ronda and Holly both win their fights...oh man. 

41 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

Women's Featherweight division is officially happening. Holm vs Randamie for the inaugural belt. Pretty cool. 

I guess they didn't want to make Cyborg the champion right away so there's room for some successful challenges :P

If Ronda and Holly both win their fights...oh man. 

I think that's exactly what the UFC is trying to do, set up a Ronda-Holly rematch with two belts since Miesha and Shevchenko ruined the original.

As for Cyborg: she was apparently offered the fight and turned it down. She can't seem to get out of her own way. Always seems to be whining more than setting up her shots. Now she finally has her own division and she's not even the inaugural fight? 

12 weeks to cut to your supposed natural division, that you've been begging for for years? 

I mean, sure, maybe her health sucks but...it's always something. If Holly and Ronda win she's almost certainly worked her way out of that fight. She may never fight Ronda, and it'll be someone else's fault for the next year we have to hear about this.

Hmm UFC 208 does not have a great billing, with these announced fights. 

207 looks delicious, all 4 main card fights.

Also, Ngannou already fighting again in January after his easy win based on pure strength over Hamilton.

Next victim is Andrei Arlovski. 

For this weekend, hoping for a great fight between youngsters Northcutt and Mickey Gall.

So,great night of fights. Hit a perfect with who I wanted to win. Gall won (Sage really needs a ground game. He needs to take a year or two off), Waterson won (for all Dana wants her to be big PVZ just isn't there, you can't ride on athleticism forever) and Mike Perry lost. Great night.

All in all...good card, even though some hype trains got derailed. Or maybe it was good cause of that :P

10 hours ago, Castel said:

So,great night of fights. Hit a perfect with who I wanted to win. Gall won (Sage really needs a ground game. He needs to take a year or two off), Waterson won (for all Dana wants her to be big PVZ just isn't there, you can't ride on athleticism forever) and Mike Perry lost. Great night.

All in all...good card, even though some hype trains got derailed. Or maybe it was good cause of that :P

Sage and PVZ have part of the same problem- the UFC is so keen to make them big that they keep throwing them into high-profile fights they're not ready for rather than letting them grind out improvements under the radar for a time.
They also both appear to have coaching/training issues. Northcutt needs to ditch his dad as part of his management/training team, he's overprotected and it shows. Not sure what's up with PVZ, whether she's had bad luck with coaches or she just doesn't listen, but she looks like she needs to stop concentrating on the flash and start concentrating on the simple stuff first.

Not a graceful end to Hopkins' career, either in the actual fight nor personally with his insistence afterwards that he was pushed etc.

15 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Damn, Hopkins just got knocked out of the ring. That was tough to watch. Bernard was losing but putting up a decent fight for a 52 year old. 

I just saw the video of that. Man he hit the floor like a ton of bricks. Not sure why he is saying that he got pushed out of the ring though, he was clearly combo'd right out of it.

6 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Sage and PVZ have part of the same problem- the UFC is so keen to make them big that they keep throwing them into high-profile fights they're not ready for rather than letting them grind out improvements under the radar for a time.
They also both appear to have coaching/training issues. Northcutt needs to ditch his dad as part of his management/training team, he's overprotected and it shows. Not sure what's up with PVZ, whether she's had bad luck with coaches or she just doesn't listen, but she looks like she needs to stop concentrating on the flash and start concentrating on the simple stuff first.

Page apparently doesn't train full time at TAM instead she does...Crossfit in her spare time until a camp comes along. Yeah...But she's never really been the super-skilled type. She just gets a pass for various reasons. Rose demolished her, and the conversation somehow became about her heart. Her fight against Rawlings wasn't that great either, but she got a flashy KO that obscured that. I think it just so happens that, even in thinner female divisions, you run out of leeway and can't get by on sheer athleticism.

As for Sage: Pfister and Trevino are not exactly high-profile fights but I'm in the same camp. He should take a break but the UFC can't let him cause they sunk money into him. His dad needs to let him go back to Firas and just not interfere but good luck with that.

The whole thing really shows the problem with trying to do soccer youth scouting in MMA. They can't even make and keep champs, so I dunno why this would work out. 

19 hours ago, Castel said:

Conversely, I don't need to see Mickey Gall fight again. That constant wrestling/grappling style, trying to get guys down all the time, I have no love for it. Dull, dull, dull. 

I guess you could see another Northcutt loss coming. He looks great physically, clearly very atheltic, but can he actually fight? 

You wouild thinking a change in coaching might help, aside from growing up of course, he's only 20. But his star is plummeting with these recent losses.

I thought PvZ was a massive disappointment as the main event. Waterson hasn't fought for 15 months and she takes out Page with great ease. PvZ just isn't a good fighter, and that's it really.

Best fight was Jouban vs Perry, where Jouban gave a very good account of himself and simply didn't allow Perry to come through.

Is there something about Perry that makes you guys dislike him, maybe something he did or said?

Archived