Dany Assassination

If the Masters were capable of waging a war on Mereen, couldn't they have just hired a Faceless Man to kill her instead? They should know enough at this point that without her, her regime would be over. I guess it wouldn't make for a good story, but it seems like the most logical thing to me. I suppose, regarding the history of the FM, they would be opposed to slavery, but money talks.

FM pricing schedule is based on both the wealth that the client possesses and the importance of the target. The Masters possess incredible wealth and Khaleesi is the Mother of Dragons and ruler of a large city -- the cost of a military conflict likely pales in comparison to the price tag for her assassination.

1 hour ago, Ours is the Brewery said:

If the Masters were capable of waging a war on Mereen, couldn't they have just hired a Faceless Man to kill her instead? They should know enough at this point that without her, her regime would be over. I guess it wouldn't make for a good story, but it seems like the most logical thing to me. I suppose, regarding the history of the FM, they would be opposed to slavery, but money talks.

Being that the faceless men get their start as slaves to the dragon lords of valyria, tortured by dragon fire, I think that the FM would already have a good motivation to kill her. It is an interesting question as to why not just kill her. Maybe, in the end, they don't really want her dead until they better understand her connection with the dragons. I can see the masters being very interested in having some dragons of their own.

The Masters are pro-slavery. Dany has expressed her intention to end slavery, and has gone a fair way towards fufilling that goal.

The Faceless Men are resolutely anti-slavery, and I imagine that they're pragmatic enough to ignore her Valyrian blood and dragons for the time being. When Dany sails west, it'll be a different matter, which is why I think Arya will be Dany's bodyguard.

30 minutes ago, YOVMO said:

Being that the faceless men get their start as slaves to the dragon lords of valyria, tortured by dragon fire, I think that the FM would already have a good motivation to kill her. It is an interesting question as to why not just kill her. Maybe, in the end, they don't really want her dead until they better understand her connection with the dragons. I can see the masters being very interested in having some dragons of their own.

I would think that since they are opposed to slavery since their founders were slaves, they wouldn't help the Masters who only want to reestablish the slave trade. Also, the price of killing a queen for a group of wealthy leaders of other cities would be enormous. "'Do you have any idea how costly they are?' Littlefinger complained. 'You could hire an army of common sellswords for half the price, and that's for a merchant. I don't dare think what they might ask for a princess.'" Maybe the Masters looked into using the faceless men and decided that it would be cheaper to start a war. 

25 minutes ago, Frey'd Knot said:

I would think that since they are opposed to slavery since their founders were slaves, they wouldn't help the Masters who only want to reestablish the slave trade. Also, the price of killing a queen for a group of wealthy leaders of other cities would be enormous. "'Do you have any idea how costly they are?' Littlefinger complained. 'You could hire an army of common sellswords for half the price, and that's for a merchant. I don't dare think what they might ask for a princess.'" Maybe the Masters looked into using the faceless men and decided that it would be cheaper to start a war. 

You are absolutely right. There probably would be an anti dragon lord / anti slavery conundrum. I don't really think the freedom Dany offers is meaningful in any real way and is just slavery by a different name, but that distinction is unclear in the books.

corrext about the prices. And, of course, there are some FM dragon deals which seem to complicate the matter.

in other news great name!!!!

but arent the masters all into slavery? considering faceless men's origin start with slavery in valyria i dont think they would work for people who want to bring slavery back more than anything...i do believe if they'd rather protect dany than kill her

I"m in the camp believing that even if the Masters reached out to the FM the FM would most definitely NOT have taken the contract for any amount of money.    The story of the FM founding was important enough to the Kindly Man how many thousands of years later?  The FM have their own political agenda that definitely wouldn't include aiding in any furtherance of slavery.    It's part of their dogma.   

This is also where it's very hard for me to buy Hizdar as the Harpy.   He's had ample opportunity to bump Dany off in their less than tender moments alone together.    He's just another opportunist using Dany to his advantage.  

I believe the Meereen's Knot is much more complex than that. Both masters and slaves must know Daenerys will not stay. IMO, they are not trying to kill her. They are preparing to occupy the power vacuum which should follow her depart. Why should we assume the masters or the slaves are united? Westeros houses are not united, Volantis houses are not united. Why should it be different for Meereen? The Shavepate, the Green Grace, the Harpies ... What are their agenda? IMO, they are the local LF and Varys, trying to manipulate her to act against their enemies, or along their own projects. She is a pawn in the Meereen game, like she was Illrio's at some point.

I think there's an easier answer than to guess at the Ghiscari understanding of the FM ideology. The problem is that the FM don't have branch offices and the Ghiscari don't have any sort of telecommunications infrastructure. There's no practical way to broker a deal. In the time it took a Grazdan to get to Braavos, Dany could have burned all of the wealth he was offering to trade. And if they took the year long process of getting a quote, they'd then have to go through the trouble of arranging false pretenses under which to send the goods to Braavos, and the purchasing agent would have to hope that Dany didn't burn his city to the ground while he was away.

On June 24, 2016 at 9:20 AM, YOVMO said:

You are absolutely right. There probably would be an anti dragon lord / anti slavery conundrum. I don't really think the freedom Dany offers is meaningful in any real way and is just slavery by a different name, but that distinction is unclear in the books.

corrext about the prices. And, of course, there are some FM dragon deals which seem to complicate the matter.

in other news great name!!!!

Not meaningful?!! Freedom?! A Chain on your neck and not being paid, not to mention someone can do whatever they want to you? 

Ask Tyrion how much he enjoyed his time as a Slave and which he preferred.

Archived