Will Jaime amd/or Brienne survive early WoW?

dariopatke

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 7:23 PM, dariopatke said:

So they are in interesting situation and it would be comical for everyone to just walk out peacefully and happy. I think someone has to die at the beggining of the book. At least Pod, but I think someone of our POV duo will have to die for the plot to progress and this seems to be good exit for some important character.

What do you think with happen wih them in first chapters? Will both survive? If not who will die and how?

I think it's going to be interesting.  I don't think Pod will die.  I feel like there's something going on with Jaime and Brienne and Oathkeeper.  I can't shake the feeling that Oathkeeper will become Lightbringer.  I feel like either Brienne will stab Jaime in the Heart or vice versa.  I want it to be Brienne who wields Lightbringer, but I also feel like Jaime has to be the one to kill Cersei.

LSH won't die until Walder Frey is dead, that's my feeling on that matter.  Brienne could run her through, but she'll come back.  Whenever I read about Beric or LSH, I remember the Revenant monsters from the Ravenloft module of AD&D.  Undead creatures that arise due to unfinished business in life, and they keep coming back until their business is finished.  I think with the end of the WO5K, Beric's mission was done, and he could finally die, and he gave his unlife to Catelyn's bloated corpse, because it had unfinished business (revenge upon the Freys).  Until Walder (or all the Freys) is gone, she'll keep coming back. Once that's done, she could pass the flame along to someone else, though...

On 7/1/2016 at 9:23 PM, dariopatke said:

So they are in interesting situation and it would be comical for everyone to just walk out peacefully and happy. I think someone has to die at the beggining of the book. At least Pod, but I think someone of our POV duo will have to die for the plot to progress and this seems to be good exit for some important character.

What do you think with happen wih them in first chapters? Will both survive? If not who will die and how?

Here is my take, although I am not quiye sure how it will play out. I suspect Jaime will end up taking the black after he paves the way for the presumed son of Rhaegar, who had charged him with protecting his children. I suppose Brienne will join him. It's a good thing too since Jon is going to need every swing d... er, sword in the field. 

On 7/1/2016 at 9:23 PM, dariopatke said:

There are some loose ends to be tied up in the first part of the book. Blackfish is roaming around. The Hound. The pack of wolves lead by Nymeria. Nym was the one who pulled dead Cat from the water.The revenge on Frey & Bolton, "She wants her son alive, or the men who killed him dead," said the big man. "She wants to feed the crows, like they did at the Red Wedding. Freys and Boltons, aye.

Both Jaime & Brienne know that the girl who married Ramsey is not Arya and they both know Sansa escaped KL. The younger girl was long dead, Jaime claimed; the Arya the Lannisters sent north to marry Roose Bolton's bastard was a fraud. That left only Sansa. Brienne had to find her.

Although Jaime has been sparring with Payne I don’t think that there has been sufficient time for him to become proficient with his off hand. Somewhere in about the middle of the book I think Brienne is going to die defending Jaime. I don’t much like the idea but Brienne did make a confession of sorts to the Elder Brother; she got part of her face bitten off by Biter and when Jaime sees her he thinks she has aged 10 years.

There are all kinds of possibilities, I mean while Brienne & Jaime are riding to meet up with LSH’s group of the BwB she could warn him and he could skedaddle.Whatever word Brienne said at the hanging could have an influence in the scenario. Let’s not forget Tom O’Sevens skulking about in the Riverrun area. And the crown(s).

I’ve yammered enough. I think Brienne will die midway in the book while trying to physically defend Jaime from attack of sum sorts.

I fully expect some third party to interfere. Be it the Hound, Meribald, Blackfish or someone else. 

Pod can die, though somehow Hyle Hunt is even more likely and some members of the BwB, from the POVs Jaime is much more likely to survive than Brienne. 

7 hours ago, dornishdame said:

I don't want it to happen, but I do see potential for Pod to be killed in the skirmish I think is inevitable when Brienne returns to Lady Stoneheart with Jaime.  Brienne was ordered to kill Jaime or she would hang for treason - should she return with a live Jaime as I suspect she will do - then it will come to swords. Brienne's Feast chapters feature mentions of Brienne training Pod to fight, and I think the loyalty that led him to slay Ser Mandon Moore at the Blackwater to save Tyrion may lead him to try and fight against the Brotherhood to help Brienne. 

Jaime does, I think, have a destiny beyond his meeting with Lady Stoneheart and the Brotherhood - Jaime as the Valonqar makes the most narrative sense, and he is the one person Cersei would never guard herself against.  She sees Jaime as part of her and it adds to the pathos of Cersei being the architect of her own downfall.  Now, to be the valonqar, Jaime has to survive the coming encounter with Lady Stoneheart.  Should Brienne sacrifice herself for him, I think that Jaime would feel honor-bound to make the most of the sparing of his life.  

I have always leaned towards Winds being bloody.  Before Westeros can finally unite against the real threat, they have to complete the tearing itself to shreds arc, and that means death.  Particularly the death of innocents.  I can see how the death of Brienne would fit in the senseless slaughter in the Riverlands, but I am not yet convinced she will die.  It may also work towards some of the remaining Brotherhood turning on Lady Stoneheart.  I don't see her lasting through Winds either.  But before she is done, I think that Lady Stoneheart will do her damnedest to avenge the Red Wedding. 

It's so good to see you Dame.   I'm with you here, I don't see Brienne dying in this round either.  That crown turning still bothers me, but I don't necessarily see LSH turning into a good guy or Jon fan.    Death is the best we can hope for for this tortured creature.   I'll admit I'm really interested in how she will meet her demise.    

5 hours ago, Ice Turtle said:

I fully expect some third party to interfere. Be it the Hound, Meribald, Blackfish or someone else. 

Pod can die, though somehow Hyle Hunt is even more likely and some members of the BwB, from the POVs Jaime is much more likely to survive than Brienne. 

Agree completely with your 1st statement.    This is the perfect opportunity to bring The Hound, Elder Brother, Septon Meribald, Dog, Ned Dayne, Raynald Westerling, Olyver Frey, Blackfish, all those missing BWB guys, Red Wedding hostages, Nymeria and even Howland Reed into the story for some greater good.   (I'm sure I've missed someone--several someones probably)  This ambush could play out many different ways depending on who steps in.  

@Maester Vargo

I really like idea about passig flames. Laso if she doesnt change it can get problematic because of all people being around her: Brienne, Jaime, Pod (Tyrions squire), likely Brynden and perhaps Edmure and Jeyne.

@Lost Melnibonean

You did observe some really interesting things, these people were always interesting to me, but only after I read your thread I saw how deep can it go. Congrats for great observatios!

@Clegane'sPup

"I think Brienne will die midway in the book while trying to physically defend Jaime from attack of sum sorts."

I can really see this happen. And if Jaime stays alive he may be good fighter (like Qhorin) but he needs both time and good sparring partner so that wont happen soon.

On 7/4/2016 at 8:24 AM, Protagoras said:

Briennes storyline really has nowhere to go. It is already over with the reunion between her, Cat and Jaime (what I consider the endgame due to the previous history between the characters, a "to go forward you must go back" moment). She has already been through Westeros searching and interacting with the smallfolk. What will her arc be otherwise if she survive this? Interacting more with Jaime? A romance? Naah. This givves us as reader very little and again, Brienne have already had a pretty pointless solo adventure, I can´t see reason for a second try.

Jaime on the other hand is needed for his interaction with cersei, possible Valonqar and his "redemption" arc.

Therefore, I speculate that Brienne will die. Not directly, of course but I see Jaime as the sole survivor from a clusterfuck, including war in the riverlands and liberation of Riverrun that will take at least half of WoW to resolve.

She does know who Gendry's father is.   Just sayin'.  

I think Jaime will die prematurely(maybe not necessarily chronologically with the books, this may happen in ADOS rather than TWOW) because I think he mirrors Prince Aemon the Dragonknight.  He will try recklessly to save someone that he loves and/or he thinks he needs to protect (Cersei, Brienne, Sansa) but while doing so will perish himself while succeeding in fulfilling one of the many oaths he has taken in his life.  

Archived