Book ending vs show ending

LordImp

It seems to me that the show are doing what they know the fans will like. For example it is more popular among the fans that Jon retakes Winterfell than Stannis and it's more popular that Theon goes to Mereen instead of Victarion. This makes me wonder if the show will end the story in a way they know the viewers will like instead of a bittersweet ending . So will the show end with for example Dany and Jon ruling together because that will be popular .

My question is do you think the show will end the story different than the books ? GRRM told D& D the ending but im not sure if  they will follow his book ending . 

D&D said GRRM's ending was "satisfying". I don't know if it means they'll go 100% with that specific ending but I'm expecting both endings to be similar (that is, if GRRM doesn't decide to change his own ending after the show ends)

It seems that we will end in the same place but how they get there will be entirely different. For example, both book and show Dany will sit on the IT while book Dany will fight Aegon for it, show Dany will fight the Lannisters for it. In both book and show, Jon will be named TKITN while show Jon got it for beating the Boltons, book Jon will get it in the fallout of Stannis' downfall.

It will be the same and it won't be the same.

the same thing will happen, but how and why will be completely different so the meaning of it will be completely different.

It's like in LOTR if an eagle flew Frodo and Sam to Mount Doom and they just dropped the ring into the lava. Would anyone consider that the same story as in the books?

Here's what I think will be the same

-the person who sits the IT at the end

-the fates of all the main characters, who lives, who dies, who gets married

GRRM says that he has known these since he started writing and I believe that this was what they discussed after s3. There will be many changes though since the journey will be completely different. 

I think it's impossible to tell.  George could change his mind tomorrow, like he did with the five year gap.  If he thinks up a new ending for Arya that he really likes for example, who's to say which one he'll go with? He's not locked into anything until it's published, even if he's long had an idea in his head for how it's going to go.  My feeling is, if he knew exactly how everything was going to turn out, it wouldn't take him this long to write.  

It'll be the same ending but I think certain minor characters will end up in different places.

That said, I do think there is a very real possibility that the delay in the books now is that GRRM is playing a waiting game to see what the show does next and then he may make amendments accordingly to ensure the books completely differ, e.g. Hodor in the books may no longer mean hold the door if GRRM can come up with a viable alternative.

^ I hope he doesn't do that. Hold the Door to me was easily one of the most mind blowing events in the entire series. Legit didn't see that coming at all. He shouldn't change things he already planned just because it is going to be shown on the show first. We already know the context in the books will be different

Just now, Commander Jon Snow said:

^ I hope he doesn't do that. Hold the Door to me was easily one of the most mind blowing events in the entire series. Legit didn't see that coming at all. He shouldn't change things he already planned just because it is going to be shown on the show first. We already know the context in the books will be different

Well he has publically said that he intends to change nothing.  But he has always publically been full of contradictions so who knows.  His recent silence regarding the show is deafening IMO.  I think he is hurting and when people are emotional then all sorts of decisions can change.

I'm not sure. The show looks like its speeding towards a happy ending while that is not how thought the book would end. We will never know though. The show ending could have been the one Martin originally planned but then he changed things up when he started writing it or wanted to do something different to the show or even thought the show did something better and wanted to do that.

1 minute ago, aFeastForDragons said:

I'm not sure. The show looks like its speeding towards a happy ending while that is not how thought the book would end. We will never know though. The show ending could have been the one Martin originally planned but then he changed things up when he started writing it or wanted to do something different to the show or even thought the show did something better and wanted to do that.

Not sure that's the impression I am getting!  Arya and Sansa have both turned dark.  Dany is looking more and more like a megalomaniac waiting to happen and then you have the threat from the North.

D&D said that the ending of the series was the third OMFG moment from what GRRM told them.  The other two were the burning of Shireen, and Hold the Door.

I think more characters will survive in the books than in the show. The show's ending will probably be something like this: Jon and Dany rule as king and queen of the Seven Kingdoms, Tyrion is lord of Casterly Rock, Varys is their spymaster, Sansa the lady of Winterfell etc. whereas in the books every major and minor character will get their own ending. Other than that, I think the endings will be pretty similar, with a few changes to make it perhaps a bit more satisfying for fans of characters such as Arya. In the books, I see her dying and continuing to live in her direwolf as she is the wolf child, but I don't think the show would ever kill her off.

2 hours ago, aFeastForDragons said:

What’s that line about how if you think this tale will have a happy ending. . . ? :)

2 hours ago, Thia Stark said:

I think more characters will survive in the books than in the show. The show's ending will probably be something like this: Jon and Dany rule as king and queen of the Seven Kingdoms, Tyrion is lord of Casterly Rock, Varys is their spymaster, Sansa the lady of Winterfell etc. whereas in the books every major and minor character will get their own ending. Other than that, I think the endings will be pretty similar, with a few changes to make it perhaps a bit more satisfying for fans of characters such as Arya. In the books, I see her dying and continuing to live in her direwolf as she is the wolf child, but I don't think the show would ever kill her off.

I imagine that Tyrion will remain Hand no matter what other title he may hold.

I don’t know what Bran will be, beyond the Builder come again.

And we know there’s a big WTF moment at the very end of things that shocked the showrunners. My guess is that it’s Dany dying giving birth to Jon’s son.

6 hours ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

And we know there’s a big WTF moment at the very end of things that shocked the showrunners. My guess is that it’s Dany dying giving birth to Jon’s son.

I did already mention this in another comment. There is a finale that only the show can realize at his highest while the book will struggle. The final scene is on Dany baby in his cradle sleeping and we get to see he opening his brown eyes. Lastly we get to see his eyes changing and becoming pale blue revealing that he is the prince that was promised to the WW, the heir of the night king.  

8 hours ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

Yeah, I forgot to add that bit about Tyrion remaining hand. 

I also thought about Dany dying while giving birth a lot recently. It makes me think of Mirri Maaz Durr's prophecy. 

"When the sun rises in the West and sets in the East, when the seas go dry and the mountains blow in the wind like leaves, when my womb quickens again and I bear a living child, Khal Drogo will return to me." 

Quentyn is obviously the sun, the Dothraki Sea is going dry, the Mountain could die again and get burned maybe? And when Daenerys bears a living child Drogo will return to her, or, better said, she will return to him - in the nightlands.

I guess the ending is Dany dying in childbirth or something . The only problem is: is it time for Jon and Dany to bang and have a baby ? GRRMs ending is supposed to be bittersweet so i think many characters die .  

15 hours ago, aFeastForDragons said:

I'm not sure. The show looks like its speeding towards a happy ending 

Martin himself has said that D&D are even more Bloodthirsty than even he is and based on the evidence I agree with him

These are the same guys who couldn't wait so shoot a scene that has stannis burning his daughter to death

These are the guys that gave robb a pregnant wife just so they could show her being brutally stabbed to death at the red wedding

They are also the guys who decided to have Sansa be raped by Ramsay

anybody who thinks that D&D has all of a sudden turned over a new leaf and is now going to give us a super happy ending is fooling themselves 

Season 6 had a lot of crowd pleasing moments and it had the good guys actually winning for a chance but im not naive enough to think that all of this is not going to end with some heartbreaking twist 

10 hours ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

I don't think Dany dying in childbirth would qualify as a WTF moment like burning Shireen and Hold the Door.  It might happen, but it's not "WTF" worthy.  If Cersei burning KL didn't qualify as a WTF moment to D&D, then the last one has to be something really big.  

14 hours ago, Mayura said:

D&D said GRRM's ending was "satisfying".

"Satisfying" is the little sister from "bad"...

To the original post:
Most likely they will make an hollywod-happy-end :-(
But I think they (D&J) will not sit the iron throne, there was the scene in Dany's vision/dream of her walking through the ruined throne-room while snow was falling...

Archived