What are you listening to? Vol. XXII

DireWolfSpirit

5 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

listening to The Commitments soundtrack, this film and its music are FANTASTIC 

YES! That is such a delightful movie. I've told a bunch of people at work about it recently. None of them had ever heard of it, which is a bit sad, really.

Oh, and I almost said "And, and, fucking and?" to a student in class, then realized that not only would that be totally inappropriate, even as a joke, but they wouldn't have a chance of catching the reference.

On 10/19/2016 at 1:42 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

listening to The Commitments soundtrack, this film and its music are FANTASTIC 

stumbled across a used copy of this CD and picked it up because of this thread. 

Actually managed to get some great stuff cheap. In fact, I feel I had a very Mr X day of shopping, coming home with a bunch of absurdly good beer and a bunch of good CDs, including, among others, the aforementioned Commitments, and the first two Superchunk albums. Fuck yeah!

33 minutes ago, R'hllor's nasty lobster said:

stumbled across a used copy of this CD and picked it up because of this thread. 

Actually managed to get some great stuff cheap. In fact, I feel I had a very Mr X day of shopping, coming home with a bunch of absurdly good beer and a bunch of good CDs, including, among others, the aforementioned Commitments, and the first two Superchunk albums. Fuck yeah!

I approve of all of this. 

And every time I see a package of Pocky in a store, the words "NO POCKY FOR KITTY!" pop into my head.

Every. Single. Fucking. Time. 

4 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

I approve of all of this. 

And every time I see a package of Pocky in a store, the words "NO POCKY FOR KITTY!" pop into my head.

Every. Single. Fucking. Time. 

hahaha, you know, I actually go the other way and think of the candy whenever I see the album title

*pictures air drumming with sticks of Pocky, looks down a cat staring with head cocked interest, and saying NO*

man, haven't seen Pocky in years. Bummer.

3 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I should probably give that movie a rewatch, its been so many years since I saw it. I do remember Mustang Sally and Wilson Pickett being mentioned though 

I just love soul music and Irish accents lmao. The singers are great though, strange how most of them never did anything else acting wise but the ladies all did. Maria Doyle Kennedy is pretty sexy in the commitments with a fantastic voice and she's still pretty sexy with a fantastic voice now. 

8 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I just love soul music and Irish accents lmao. The singers are great though, strange how most of them never did anything else acting wise but the ladies all did. Maria Doyle Kennedy is pretty sexy in the commitments with a fantastic voice and she's still pretty sexy with a fantastic voice now. 

Enjoying a memory lane rewatch right this moment, thanx for sparking a idea lol.

So it's apropos that The Commitments came up recently. I am on a soul kick and seeking recommendations, but I specifically want lively stuff -- a lot of the greats like Otis Redding and Sam & Dave write a mean tune, but they sound like they're falling asleep when they play 'em. Give me your Wilson Picketts, your Aretha Franklins, your covers by the Commitments and the Blues Brothers.

I don't care if it's old stuff or newer revival stuff, but I would love your recommendations for high-energy soul. On the newer end of things, I already know about Mayer Hawthorne, Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings, and the first Fitz and the Tantrums album.

1 hour ago, Inigima said:

So it's apropos that The Commitments came up recently. I am on a soul kick and seeking recommendations, but I specifically want lively stuff -- a lot of the greats like Otis Redding and Sam & Dave write a mean tune, but they sound like they're falling asleep when they play 'em. Give me your Wilson Picketts, your Aretha Franklins, your covers by the Commitments and the Blues Brothers.

I don't care if it's old stuff or newer revival stuff, but I would love your recommendations for high-energy soul. On the newer end of things, I already know about Mayer Hawthorne, Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings, and the first Fitz and the Tantrums album.

I'd love to listen to some high energy soul as well so i eagerly await other peoples suggestions :o i want to get into more soul

now im listening to david bazan's new album blanco, primarily ''kept secrets'' this song is gorgeous 

21 hours ago, Inigima said:

I will definitely have some recommendations for you. On my way into work now, so I'll get back to you later tonight...

In the meantime, enjoy

edit: haha, its funny you use Otis Redding as an example of low-energy-- I totally know what you mean, but when I think lively, high energy soul this is my first thought

On 10/22/2016 at 2:31 PM, Inigima said:

Since you mentioned Sharon Jones, have you heard Charles Bradley yet? He's kind of the James Brown to her Aretha. I'm pretty sure he's also signed to Dap-Tone Records. I caught his set during the Lock'n Festival webcast and was really impressed. He also had a spot in an episode of Luke Cage with this song:

Also, the New Mastersounds. They're a little more funk than soul, but they've got the high energy part down cold. They're mostly instrumental, but they have a few guest vocalists, and sing on a couple tunes.

While I haven't heard much from him, Curtis Harding is pretty good, too.

And while he may be a little more laid back than what you're going for, Leon Bridges is pretty awesome:

Something else worth checking out that I got turned onto recently: What It Is? Funky Soul and Rare Grooves. It's a compilation of a bunch of random artists you probably never would have otherwise heard of that are all awesome. I don't know if it's on spotify or various streaming services or whatever, but it's worth looking into.

1 hour ago, Liffguard said:

@Theda Baratheon have you heard the new Vangelis album yet? Given your well known love of Blade Runner I thought it might be right up your street.

Nooo!  To my shame I haven't. I've been waiting for a day off to just catch up with stuff I've been putting off I guess! Will listen soon :o

Archived