NFL 2016 Week 2: extending the mustache ride in LA

DanteGabriel

15 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

Never count out the Browns.  Gotta up your game.  If you draft a WR who might be good enough to win a few games for you, bust his hand in practice. 

"Do you have a problem with that?"  "No, sensei".

As far as I can tell this week will involve Cody Kessler throwing to...me. I only run like a 5.5 40 but I'm crafty. 

I can't own Dolphins D in enough places this week. 

33 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

As far as I can tell this week will involve Cody Kessler throwing to...me. I only run like a 5.5 40 but I'm crafty. 

Yeah, me, too!  But we run impeccable routes!  I mean, when you're running that slow it's kinda difficult to mess up a route...what with being able to count steps on your fingers and all:D

41 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

5.5 is actually pretty impressive for someone who's not a professional athlete.

31 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

Yeah, me, too!  But we run impeccable routes!  I mean, when you're running that slow it's kinda difficult to mess up a route...what with being able to count steps on your fingers and all:D

100%. And more brilliant football minds than us, like Ozzie Newsome, clearly agree based on the WR corps he's assembled. 

26 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

Ok, confession time, I've never actually measured my 40. But I plan to at lunch in my business casual. Browns could call at any moment. 

51 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

Depends how old you are.  For a young man a 5.5 is pretty poor.  40 yards is really not very far. 

9 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Depends how old you are.  For a young man a 5.5 is pretty poor.  40 yards is really not very far. 

When I was in my early 20s and in decent shape my 100 meter dash was definitely north of 12 seconds maybe even 13.

Partly, I slowed down at the end, but I also took some time to get to top speed.

11 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Have you (or anyone) ever measured your own? What football fan is not curious how fast they would run the 40? 

I know Rich Eisen ran a 5.94 40 and I gotta be faster than him...

6 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Have you (or anyone) ever measured your own? What football fan is not curious how fast they would run the 40? 

I know Rich Eisen ran a 5.94 40 and I gotta be faster than him...

I think of it this way.  A 4.60 is approximately as fast as the fastest guy in your high school.  I once ran a 40 in the high 4.6s, but then I ran track in high school, and it was hand timed, which adds an uncertainty of +-0.15, which means it is pretty much a crap measurement. 

13 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

When I was in my early 20s and in decent shape my 100 meter dash was definitely north of 12 seconds maybe even 13.

Partly, I slowed down at the end, but I also took some time to get to top speed.

For a reasonably fit young man, I would expect a 100 time of 12.5-13.5 seconds.  But some of that is because of slowing down at the end, which is not an issue in the 40.  If you can run a 100 in 13 flat, I'm fairly sure you can run a 40 faster than 5.5. 

I was a decent sprinter in high school (good enough for Class B North Dakota high school sports anyway;)).  Now, it'd probably be more appropriate to measure my 40 time with radiocarbon dating:P

And, even more important- I am, I shit you not, right this minute, literally, like 10 blocks away from where Carson Wentz went to high school!  Who wants to touch me?!:D

4 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

I was a decent sprinter in high school (good enough for Class B North Dakota high school sports anyway;)).  Now, it'd probably be more appropriate to measure my 40 time with radiocarbon dating:P

How can you say that and not include some boast about your best 40 or 100 time?  Huge tease.

Fun story, on my high school track team the 5 guys in the 4X100 (you need an alternate so it's five dudes) were the 4 wide receivers on the football team, and my skinny ass. 

5 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

And, even more important- I am, I shit you not, right this minute, literally, like 10 blocks away from where Carson Wentz went to high school!  Who wants to touch me?!:D

I wouldn't go to North Dakota to touch Carson Wentz.

18 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Question: If Gorgeous Jimmy was a teenager in the 1950's, would he be wearing a letterman jacket while nervously trying to hold Peggy Sue's hand, or would he be wearing a white t-shirt with a pack of cigs up his sleeve underneath a black leather jacket, slicking his greased hair back while he stares her down thinking how he's going to unleash the dragon? 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Question: If Gorgeous Jimmy was a teenager in the 1950's, would he be wearing a letterman jacket while nervously trying to hold Peggy Sue's hand, or would he be wearing a white t-shirt with a pack of cigs up his sleeve underneath a black leather jacket, slicking his greased hair back while he stares her down thinking how he's going to unleash the dragon? 

I'm going to vote the former, cause he's just too pretty to be a tough guy. That said, I don't think nervous entered into it. I have to imagine that guy was a hit with the ladies at an early age.

5 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

How can you say that and not include some boast about your best 40 or 100 time?  Huge tease.

Fun story, on my high school track team the 5 guys in the 4X100 (you need an alternate so it's five dudes) were the 4 wide receivers on the football team, and my skinny ass. 

Hey!  My fastest 100 meter sprint was 11.25 secs (that's why I didn't mention it;)).  I was a slightly better 200 meter sprinter (something about running on the curve, I think).  But I was really only interested in the 4X100 and 4X200 relays and qualifying for the state track meet.  I was the starting leg and we went to the state meet all four years of high school.  So...that was fun at the time.

That's interesting that you had to have an alternate.  Luckily, we didn't.  In my small school, not only didn't we have an alternate but we barely had four for a relay team.  In fact, we had three relatively good sprinters and the equivalent of a guy off the street:D  We put him at second leg in both relays and we set it up so that he received the baton near the end of the exchange zone and passed it to the third leg near the beginning of that exchange zone.  So the first and third legs were covering about 10 meters more than the second leg.  Eh, it worked out alright:dunno: 

2 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I wouldn't go to North Dakota to touch Carson Wentz.

How can you say that about the great state that actually produced Carson Wentz?!  Who wouldn't want to stand on this hallowed ground?!:P

23 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I'm going to vote the former, cause he's just too pretty to be a tough guy. That said, I don't think nervous entered into it. I have to imagine that guy was a hit with the ladies at an early age.

Garoppolo. He's Italian. In the 50s, with his olive oil good looks and guinea charm, he's a greaser. 

Y'all should enjoy this bit of schadenfreude.

The Seahawks need to think of their offensive linemen as untrained 18th century cannon fodder whose best trait is their ability to inspire overconfidence in their opponents. Screen passes, draws and misdirection plays can use a defense's own pursuit against it. If offensive linemen whiff on their defenders on every pass play, it won't look suspicious when they do it to sneak off and block for a screen.

Archived