NFL2016 Week 5: Somebody Needs A Bigger Locker

Jace, Extat

21 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

I would (and did) assume that one of the exceptions is when one team has won 15 straight division road games and the other has lost 10 straight division games.

Obviously the streaks were meant to end together.

Do you even sport?

I am a Chargers fan and have been since BEFORE Dan Fouts played for them (John Hadl, ftw).

There are few things in which I have more faith than my faith in their ability to transform triumph into crushing defeat.

ETA: Admit it.  When Denver got the on-sides with 27 seconds, you too thought it was coming.

Y'all need to remember that almost every decent rookie/new QB looks good for about 4-6 weeks and then the defenses get enough film on them, and then they hit a giant wall of death.

So Wentz, Prescott, Siemian, Hoyer...um, whoever is playing for Cleveland, etc - they're gonna almost certainly hit a wall here in a couple of weeks. 

7 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Y'all need to remember that almost every decent rookie/new QB looks good for about 4-6 weeks and then the defenses get enough film on them, and then they hit a giant wall of death.

So Wentz, Prescott, Siemian, Hoyer...um, whoever is playing for Cleveland, etc - they're gonna almost certainly hit a wall here in a couple of weeks. 

There's decent, and then there's not throwing an interception while being #6 in YPA good and tied for 3rd in completion % good.  

Just now, JonSnow4President said:

There's decent, and then there's not throwing an interception while being #6 in YPA good and tied for 3rd in completion % good.  

I...you're talking about Prescott? I don't honestly know. But it doesn't matter who it is. Every QB runs into this. Some get over it more than others, but it hits them all. 

10 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I...you're talking about Prescott? I don't honestly know. But it doesn't matter who it is. Every QB runs into this. Some get over it more than others, but it hits them all. 

Yeah, that one's Prescott (only one to not throw an interception).  He's looked so poised though, I doubt his decline is to bumbling rookie, and more something closer to NFL average QB. 

Just now, JonSnow4President said:

Yeah, that one's Prescott (only one to not throw an interception).  He's looked so poised though, I doubt his decline is to bumbling rookie, and more something closer to NFL average QB. 

Oh sure - I'm not saying that they're going to regress to Bad Cutler levels. I'm just saying that however good they've looked, take, say, 25-50% off of that for a few weeks. 

One thing about Dak is that he will continue to not be mistake-prone. It's just not in his nature as a QB to take chances.

This is one reason I assumed he'd end up being a high quality backup (spot-starting game manager) but never a championship level starter. The biggest surprise for me thus far has been his apparent instinct in avoiding the rush, though obviously plenty of QBs would look great playing behind that line and executing those gameplans. Regardless, his speed in picking up the pro game been impressive considering he probably never took a snap under center in his life before got to Dallas.

The same thing was said about Mariota last year. And then week 6 happened. I don't think he'll be 5-int Winston any time soon, but he'll likely make more mistakes. 

Also note that turnovers are what happens to gunslingers, but sacks and checkdowns are what happens to cautious QBs. I would expect more of that sort of thing where he's throwing for 2 yards on 3rd and 8. 

23 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

The same thing was said about Mariota last year. And then week 6 happened. I don't think he'll be 5-int Winston any time soon, but he'll likely make more mistakes. 

Also note that turnovers are what happens to gunslingers, but sacks and checkdowns are what happens to cautious QBs. I would expect more of that sort of thing where he's throwing for 2 yards on 3rd and 8. 

He might just be good enough to play. Luck and Griffin (and a lesser extent Wilson) all played well enough to make the playoffs all year in their rookie seasons. 

Dak isn't as reckless as Luck or a gimmick like Griffin or as conservative as Wilson was, maybe he's a day 1 better version of Alex Smith and that's just who he is.

Just now, Pony Queen Jace said:

He might just be good enough to play. Luck and Griffin (and a lesser extent Wilson) all played well enough to make the playoffs all year in their rookie seasons. 

Dak isn't as reckless as Luck or a gimmick like Griffin or as conservative as Wilson was, maybe he's a day 1 better version of Alex Smith and that's just who he is.

Again, I'm not saying that he will melt into a puddle of Gabbert Goo. I'm simply saying that for, oh, the next 4-6 weeks I'd expect all the rookie QBs to perform less well. This was inspired by people being surprised how bad the Broncos looked - but it was right in line with what you'd expect with the rookie wall. 

2 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Again, I'm not saying that he will melt into a puddle of Gabbert Goo. I'm simply saying that for, oh, the next 4-6 weeks I'd expect all the rookie QBs to perform less well. This was inspired by people being surprised how bad the Broncos looked - but it was right in line with what you'd expect with the rookie wall. 

Eh, I understand the concept you're pushing and I think it applies to the likes of Tebow and Simeion, but some guys are just good enough that it doesn't matter that they're rookies. 

You seem to be saying that every player struggles once there's sufficient tape against them, I'm saying those players might not have been truly good to begin with.

1 minute ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Eh, I understand the concept you're pushing and I think it applies to the likes of Tebow and Simeion, but some guys are just good enough that it doesn't matter that they're rookies. 

You seem to be saying that every player struggles once there's sufficient tape against them, I'm saying those players might not have been truly good to begin with.

I am saying that every QB hits that rookie wall when there is enough tape on them, yes. Luck did, Wilson did, Manning did. Rodgers and Romo did too. And struggles isn't precisely the right word - I'd say that they stop performing at the level they had been. 

The corrolary to this is that once they get hit by a defense that has tape, how they react going forward is kind of important. Some never really get much better; they can't adapt, can't change their tells, can't fix the issues that were exposed. Others fix it and move on. The latter ones are the ones that tend to have longer term success. 

9 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I am saying that every QB hits that rookie wall when there is enough tape on them, yes. Luck did, Wilson did, Manning did. Rodgers and Romo did too. And struggles isn't precisely the right word - I'd say that they stop performing at the level they had been. 

The corrolary to this is that once they get hit by a defense that has tape, how they react going forward is kind of important. Some never really get much better; they can't adapt, can't change their tells, can't fix the issues that were exposed. Others fix it and move on. The latter ones are the ones that tend to have longer term success. 

That's fair, but I refuse to accept it as a general rule. I've yet to see Wentz do anything I consider... exploitable. We shall see.

Meanwhile, you need to get on someone's ass because I'm trying to get the Dragon Age DLC and your stupid website won't accept my card. :P

57 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Agreed, when Dak finally has a bad game or stretch of games, it'll look like this. Completion % and YPA will regress to pedestrian.

Archived