NFL2016 Week 5: Somebody Needs A Bigger Locker

Jace, Extat

3 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

Not to me, and while it's a matter of personal opinion, by and large it's pretty much been established who the dynasties are in the SB era. 70s Steelers, 80s Niners, 90s Cowboys, and 00s Patriots. The Steelers won 103 regular season games from 2000-2009 and 2-0 in SBs, would that also make them a dynasty when lined up against the Patriots with 112 wins and 3-1 inSBs? Or the Colts with 115 and 1-1 in two SB appearances? I don't, because the Pats won more SBs. The Bills won more regular season games and went to more SBs than the Cowboys in the 90s. Granted they lost all four but if SB appearances is a part of your reasoning to count a team as a dynasty as you do with the 70s Cowboys, then would you consider them as a dynasty?

I guess it really just boils down to individual interpretation, but the team that wins the most championships in that era is the dynasty imo. I in no way consider the 00s Steelers a dynasty, just like I don't with the 70s Cowboys.

I look at it differently, I don't see why there is only one dynasty allowed, Dallas was in 50% of the super bowls of the 70's and won 40% of those appearances, and had more wins than any other team. Even when Dallas was on top in the 90's they had San Fran in the end of their dynasty and I almost add in Buffalo. Yeah they didn't win a SB but damn did they dominate.

That said, I am a Cowboys fan and I fully admit bias!

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I just realized that the Browns have used 5 QBs in 5 games. Clearly the Cavs have enraged the Factory of Sadness.

And since they cut Whitehurst, if Kessler is reinjured it will be 6 for 6! Is there a record for this or has Cleveland already set it?

3 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

If Simeon goes down tomorrow night, I shall hail you as prophet.

Are your many spellings of Siemian some kind of subtle tribute to Rockroi or what?

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I just realized that the Browns have used 5 QBs in 5 games. Clearly the Cavs have enraged the Factory of Sadness.

The Factory of Sadness won't cease in its trail of carnage until the Browns destiny is met and they sign Bag Boy.  

There are enough advanced metrics online of NFL teams now that you can start comparing them and seeing some odd outliers.  Three sites I go to during football season are fivethirtyeight, footballoutsiders and profootballfocus.  All three have leaguewide strength metrics, which are generally pretty similar. 

However, they are definitely not the same.  For example, 3-2 Houston is rated as 15th on 538, whereas they are 26th on PFF and 31 on FO.  Likewise Tennessee is a very average team on football outsiders (16th) and PFF (17th) whereas 538 has them at 31st.  Football outsiders just loves the hard luck Chargers (11th, in spite of the 1-4 record), whereas PFF has them 23rd and 538 26th. 

Even if we assume that football outsiders is somehow not accounting for Tom Brady being gone weeks 1-4, I still don't understand how the Patriots could be 13th, behind San Diego and Washington.  Both of the other two metrics have the Pats in the top 5. 

22 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

There are enough advanced metrics online of NFL teams now that you can start comparing them and seeing some odd outliers.  Three sites I go to during football season are fivethirtyeight, footballoutsiders and profootballfocus.  All three have leaguewide strength metrics, which are generally pretty similar. 

However, they are definitely not the same.  For example, 3-2 Houston is rated as 15th on 538, whereas they are 26th on PFF and 31 on FO.  Likewise Tennessee is a very average team on football outsiders (16th) and PFF (17th) whereas 538 has them at 31st.  Football outsiders just loves the hard luck Chargers (11th, in spite of the 1-4 record), whereas PFF has them 23rd and 538 26th. 

Even if we assume that football outsiders is somehow not accounting for Tom Brady being gone weeks 1-4, I still don't understand how the Patriots could be 13th, behind San Diego and Washington.  Both of the other two metrics have the Pats in the top 5. 

But Maith, look who's #2 in Special Teams DVOA. I even think it's legit. Our long national nightmare is at last over. 

Have to love fantasy football discussions.  Over on my normal fantasy forum, apparently being a Cowboys fan means I can't speak in an non-biased manner about Greg Olsen because they beat us last year and I'm salty (Oh so salty for them helping us get Zeke).  

It's rich because it's coming from a Panthers fan, I own Greg Olsen in fantasy, and the only thing I'm saying is that I doubt he outperforms Gronk from this point forward the rest of the season, pulling their average fantasy games from the last 4 years to back up my argument, but that otherwise he is the TE2 going forward and the better value of the two if we're going back to where they were drafted. 

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

To be fair to San Diego, they've had a lead longer than any other team this season. They just seem to always choke in the final minutes. 

I get that, but they are 1-4, and their opponents thus far are nothing special (KC, Jax, Indy, NO, Oak).  Those teams combine to be 6-11 in games against non-Chargers. 

3 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

But Maith, look who's #2 in Special Teams DVOA. I even think it's legit. Our long national nightmare is at last over. 

Oh I'm well aware.  Although with how poor our tackling is, it's just a matter of time before we give up a big return.  But at least we learned to block and kick to the end zone...that's pretty good, right?

8 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Oh I'm well aware.  Although with how poor our tackling is, it's just a matter of time before we give up a big return.  But at least we learned to block and kick to the end zone...that's pretty good, right?

And our punter throws a beautiful deep ball. Tress Way probably has the highest approval rating in Washington right now.

Also a pretty easy case can be made that we'd be 1-4 right now if our special teams were even a little worse. 

3 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

And our punter throws a beautiful deep ball. Tress Way probably has the highest approval rating in Washington right now.

Also a pretty easy case can be made that we'd be 1-4 right now if our special teams were even a little worse. 

With a bit of bad luck we could definitely be 0-5.  That's actually something I've been thinking about in terms of determining how good a team is, is dividing all of your games into close and not close.  A close game is a game that the outcome could easily be different based on a single mistake (for example, the Ravens fumbling an interception for a touchback, the Browns inexpicably not being awarded the ball on a recovered fumble, the Giants nullifying a blocked punt with a penalty.  I'm just spitballing here, none of these are real examples or anything.)  By that metric we have 0 big wins, 3 close wins, 1 close loss and 1 big loss.  This gives you a better idea of what kind of 3-2 team we are, namely a pretty mediocre one.

15 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

So, I'm just finding out Reed has a concussion?  Definitely hurts the Redskins. 

First I'm hearing of it too. Had no notion from Sunday's game. Definitely not the same offense without him. 

16 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

First I'm hearing of it too. Had no notion from Sunday's game. Definitely not the same offense without him. 

Indeed, although we are better prepared to survive missing him for a game or two with Paul and Davis than we were last year. 

3 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

Think this is his 6th in 6 years.  

Yeah that's very bad. 

7 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

7 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

In three days, he shall sign again!

7 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

If Simeon goes down tomorrow night, I shall hail you as prophet.

How I wish I had more to to frequent the board :lmao:

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

This is basically the result of them letting two key components of their offensive line walk, and why they were likely wise to not invest a top pick in a QB who would have just gone out there and gotten murdered anyway.  On the plus side, they have a mountain of draft picks in a loaded 2017 draft and a boatload of cap space, so addressing the issues with their O-line shouldn't be impossible.

Archived