NFL2016 Week 5: Somebody Needs A Bigger Locker

Jace, Extat

1 minute ago, Howdyphillip said:

That is a good comparison.

I think Bo was a lot faster, personally. There have been others, too. Hershel Walker, Eric Dickerson, Adrian Peterson played at similar weight but clocked much faster. And if you are just counting physical specimens, there have been several college/combine guys who measured better but couldn't get it done. EZ's not one of them, obviously.

But I wasn't even really arguing, I just wondered if you actually had Elliot ahead of Bo in the speed/power thing, or if you'd just forgotten him. 

In the first few games, it seemed like Morris was running better than Zeke. Morris hit the holes faster, harder, and more decisively. Zeke looked like he was dancing a bit in the backfield and constantly looking to hit the home run instead of taking the single.

Well, it looks like he shook those habits.

31 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

He looks like Edgerrin James to me. Fast, physical, and an unreasonable ability to be going forward even when moving laterally that is less grace and more ferocity.

That's actually not bad. Him and James Wilder.

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

He looks like Edgerrin James to me. Fast, physical, and an unreasonable ability to be going forward even when moving laterally that is less grace and more ferocity.

Edgerrin James was running behind the best Offensive line in the league at the time also. This Dallas line is even better in my opinion. James was a great back, but he didn't have the quickness that I have seen from Elliot. Their top end speeds are probably comparable, but when Elliot is making cuts right now it looks like lighting. 

Let's not forget that the left side of the line was missing in week 4 when he went for 140 yards, left tackle and left guard both out due to injury, so there were two back ups playing while he looked that good.

I don't want to compare him to anyone just yet, but will I guess. I will just say that passion and heart, he compares to Emmitt Smith, and that's the highest comparison I could give anyone. Smith wasn't the biggest, fastest, or had the best moves, but he had a heart and a desire to succeed that no one else matched. He would do anything to get to that end zone. I see a lot of that in Elliot, so far. We will see if he can come close to that standard and if he matures off the field.

And oh dear whoever you pray to, thank you San Diego for taking Bosa. I was one saying take him and I am so glad to be shown why I am in the steel industry and not a NFL GM or coach, because I don't know as much as I think I do!

26 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Woah folks, let's slow it down a bit. It's unwise to compare a guy who's played 5 games to some of the sport's greatest legends. 

Yeah I could only chuckle at some of these comparisons. There's little doubt Elliott is looking like the next big thing at rb, but tap the brakes until the career sample size is more than a quarter of a season before name dropping Jim Brown or Bo Jackson.

1 hour ago, Joe Pesci said:

Yeah I could only chuckle at some of these comparisons. There's little doubt Elliott is looking like the next big thing at rb, but tap the brakes until the career sample size is more than a quarter of a season before name dropping Jim Brown or Bo Jackson.

That is why I started the conversation mentioning hyperbole. Do I think Ezekiel Elliot is as good as Jim Brown and the other greatest of all time? Obviously the answer today is no. 

I am saying is that what I am seeing right now in an extremely limited sample size  is comparable to what I saw in the greats. 

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Let's not forget that the left side of the line was missing in week 4 when he went for 140 yards, left tackle and left guard both out due to injury, so there were two back ups playing while he looked that good.

I don't want to compare him to anyone just yet, but will I guess. I will just say that passion and heart, he compares to Emmitt Smith, and that's the highest comparison I could give anyone. Smith wasn't the biggest, fastest, or had the best moves, but he had a heart and a desire to succeed that no one else matched. He would do anything to get to that end zone. I see a lot of that in Elliot, so far. We will see if he can come close to that standard and if he matures off the field.

And oh dear whoever you pray to, thank you San Diego for taking Bosa. I was one saying take him and I am so glad to be shown why I am in the steel industry and not a NFL GM or coach, because I don't know as much as I think I do!

The thing about Elliot is that he is without question faster than Emmitt was. Someone on this weeks broadcast said that Elliot ran with the Power of Emmitt Smith and the speed of Tony Dorsett. I liked hearing that. 

27 minutes ago, Howdyphillip said:

That is why I started the conversation mentioning hyperbole. Do I think Ezekiel Elliot is as good as Jim Brown and the other greatest of all time? Obviously the answer today is no. 

I am saying is that what I am seeing right now in an extremely limited sample size  is comparable to what I saw in the greats. 

The thing about Elliot is that he is without question faster than Emmitt was. Someone on this weeks broadcast said that Elliot ran with the Power of Emmitt Smith and the speed of Tony Dorsett. I liked hearing that. 

As a fellow Cowboy fan it was like Christmas day as a kid!

But then Jerry opened his suck hole and had to remind everyone that he is the final word on everything and that Romo is still the #1 QB on the team. Nice job Debby downer, way to add drama where it isn't needed.

1 minute ago, dbunting said:

As a fellow Cowboy fan it was like Christmas day as a kid!

But then Jerry opened his suck hole and had to remind everyone that he is the final word on everything and that Romo is still the #1 QB on the team. Nice job Debby downer, way to add drama where it isn't needed.

Yeah, as long as they continue their winning ways, why would you switch back to Romo? Jones is an idiot. There's no controversy here, you're winning Jackass.

I am going to make a controversial statement here... Imagine that...

There is no way that when Romo is ready to play should he be relegated to sitting on the bench. Dak Prescott has played amazingly well, and I am exited to have him on this team. I want him to take over the job of QB one day without question. Romo is among the best to play the game though. He gives the Cowboys the best chance of winning against teams like Minnesota, Seattle, and Atlanta.

Dak is the future of this team, but it would not hurt him at all to sit for a couple of seasons behind Romo.

32 minutes ago, Howdyphillip said:

There is no way that when Romo is ready to play should he be relegated to sitting on the bench. Dak Prescott has played amazingly well, and I am exited to have him on this team. I want him to take over the job of QB one day without question. Romo is among the best to play the game though. He gives the Cowboys the best chance of winning against teams like Minnesota, Seattle, and Atlanta.

Dak is the future of this team, but it would not hurt him at all to sit for a couple of seasons behind Romo.

Sorry, but I think that's ridiculous. You're 4-1 and sitting on top of your division. Why do you want to screw with that?

1 hour ago, Howdyphillip said:

I'm curious to see what the Cowboys record is from October 16th to November 13th. In that span they play the Packers, Eagles, and Steelers. If Dak struggles in that span and comes out 1-3 (the Browns are the other team in that 4 week span = easy win), then I'd say go to Romo - when healthy. If Dak flourishes in that span and Romo is ready to come back in the timeframe, I'd stay with the hot hand till the hot hand ceases to sizzle.  Romo has enough career reps to jump in when/if Dak starts to struggle; regardless if it's week 9 or week 15. I would just keep a short leash on Dak with Romo ready to come in if need be.  

With the start that Dak has gotten off to, I don't see how sitting on the bench would help him.  I think the most valuable experience he's getting right now is playing on the field.  Going to the bench would only be a regression imo.

Prescott is good, but he won't able to maximize the value of Dez Bryant, when he come back, because he doesn't have a good deep ball. He's also a rookie. At some point defenses will figure out his tendencies, and that's the time when you bring back the veteran QB who can use the complete playbook.

Prescott is the future. He might develop a better deep ball eventually, and he'll certainly become a more complete, less predictable passer who can read and dissect deep. But he's still a rookie, a rookie who's had a few good games,but still a rookie.

By the way, how do the Cowboys keep lucking into these Qbs. Romo was undrafted and Prescott was a 4th round pick

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Sorry, but I think that's ridiculous. You're 4-1 and sitting on top of your division. Why do you want to screw with that?

Because that's what the Cowboys do. When they're up and successful they have to figure out some way to screw it up so they can slide back into mediocrity and yell at each other.

Archived