NFL2016 Week 5: Somebody Needs A Bigger Locker

Jace, Extat

I hope Sammy Coates can work on the drop issue.  Clearly he has great talent and can be a good number 2 receiver, but he had some unacceptable drops this afternoon.  He had an awesome stat line but terrible drops today.

Really need Giants to step it up.  For second straight week in a contest with the #1 scorer beside myself, and I need the Packers DST to only put up single digits in fantasy. Hate losing when my team kills it.

SLOT PLAYER, TEAM POS OPP STATUS ET PTS
QB Andrew Luck, Ind QBnews_breaking.png
Chi
W 29-23 22.2
QB Matthew Stafford, Det QBnews_breaking.png
Phi
W 24-23 18.8
RB Ezekiel Elliott, Dal RBnews_breaking.png
Cin
W 28-14 29.1
RB Carlos Hyde, SF RBnews_recent.png
Ari
L 21-33 17.4
RB Melvin Gordon, SD RBnews_breaking.png L 31-34 12.7
RB Ryan Mathews, Phi RBnews_breaking.png L 23-24 11.5
WR Mike Evans, TB WR Mon 8:30 --
WR Alshon Jeffery, Chi WRnews_breaking.png L 23-29 7.7
WR Demaryius Thomas, Den WRnews_recent.png
Atl
L 16-23 10.9
WR Michael Crabtree, Oak WRnews_breaking.png
SD
W 34-31 10.7
TE Rob Gronkowski, NE TEnews_breaking.png W 33-13 10.9
TE Kyle Rudolph, Min TEnews_recent.png
Hou
W 31-13 1.5
FLEX Greg Olsen, Car TEvideo_breaking.png
TB
Mon 8:30 --
FLEX Eddie Royal, Chi WRnews_breaking.png L 23-29 4.3
D/ST Vikings D/ST D/ST
Hou
W 31-13 20
D/ST Eagles D/ST D/ST L 23-24 7
K Brandon McManus, Den K
Atl
L 16-23 12
K Josh Lambo, SD K L 31-34 7
TOTAL POINTS:
AULT LETHAL LLAMAS BOX SCORE
STARTERS  
SLOT PLAYER, TEAM POS OPP STATUS ET PTS
QB Philip Rivers, SD QBnews_breaking.png L 31-34 26.4
QB Joe Flacco, Bal QBnews_breaking.png
Wsh
L 10-16 13
RB Todd Gurley, LA RBnews_breaking.png
Buf
L 19-30 14.8
RB David Johnson, Ari RBnews_recent.png
@SF
W 33-21 30.5
RB LeSean McCoy, Buf RBnews_breaking.png
@LA
W 30-19 15.8
RB Jalen Richard, Oak RBnews_breaking.png
SD
W 34-31 9.7
WR Brandon Marshall, NYJ WRnews_breaking.png L 13-31 17.4
WR Jarvis Landry, Mia WRnews_breaking.png
Ten
L 17-30 3
WR Emmanuel Sanders, Den WR
Atl
L 16-23 8
WR T.Y. Hilton, Ind WRnews_breaking.png
Chi
W 29-23 23.1
TE Zach Ertz, Phi TEnews_breaking.png L 23-24 3.7
TE Dennis Pitta, Bal TE
Wsh
L 10-16 5.9
FLEX C.J. Anderson, Den RB
Atl
L 16-23 6.2
FLEX Jordan Howard, Chi RBnews_breaking.png L 23-29 22.3
D/ST Texans D/ST D/ST L 13-31 1
D/ST Packers D/ST D/ST
NYG
» 17-6 8:32 3rd 14
K Justin Tucker, Bal K
Wsh
L 10-16 4
K Mason Crosby, GB K
NYG
17-6 8:32 3rd 6

Well I feel a little better about Dallas after this week. The Bengals may not be an elite team but they are a good team, was nice to see Dallas play that well against a good team. The problem is the def line was getting adequate pressure this week and that will not happen against the Green Bay line. Rogers will have all day to pick apart the secondary. So if/when Dallas loses next week they will still be 4-2 which is better than I expected when the season started. Got to see Elliots speed for the first time yesterday as he broke through the line and left everyone in his dust. Hopefully Dallas coaches are smart enough to use Morris a little more. Don't need Elliot getting worn out too soon.

The Redskins got incredibly lucky to win that game at Baltimore.  In fact, you could argue that we were "more lucky than not" in all three of our wins.  Against the Giants we had a blocked punt that got nullified by a penalty away from the play.  Against the Browns the refs gave us the ball on a fumble that the Browns clearly recovered.  And against the Ravens, Cousins threw a terrible pick, and then the defender was trying to dive for the end zone only to fumble the ball through the end zone for a touchback.  Not to mention having another punt partially blocked that still went 50 yards downfield and on the final drive the Ravens receiver failed to get his foot in bounds for the game winning touchdown (a difficult but very makeable play for a professional). 

So yay!  We're 3-2 quite inexplicably.  Our defense is so bad that when the Ravens were unable to move the ball against us, they fired their offensive coordinator!  We're like the opposite of the Minnesota Vikings, if you don't put up awesome numbers against us, you should be ASHAMED. 

Sidenote, I have never seen a team fail at 3rd and 1 so many times as we did vs Baltimore.  I think we were 0 for 6 on 3rd and either 1 or 2 yards. 

2 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

The Redskins got incredibly lucky to win that game at Baltimore.  In fact, you could argue that we were "more lucky than not" in all three of our wins.  Against the Giants we had a blocked punt that got nullified by a penalty away from the play.  Against the Browns the refs gave us the ball on a fumble that the Browns clearly recovered.  And against the Ravens, Cousins threw a terrible pick, and then the defender was trying to dive for the end zone only to fumble the ball through the end zone for a touchback.  Not to mention having another punt partially blocked that still went 50 yards downfield and on the final drive the Ravens receiver failed to get his foot in bounds for the game winning touchdown (a difficult but very makeable play for a professional). 

So yay!  We're 3-2 quite inexplicably.  Our defense is so bad that when the Ravens were unable to move the ball against us, they fired their offensive coordinator!  We're like the opposite of the Minnesota Vikings, if you don't put up awesome numbers against us, you should be ASHAMED. 

Sidenote, I have never seen a team fail at 3rd and 1 so many times as we did vs Baltimore.  I think we were 0 for 6 on 3rd and either 1 or 2 yards. 

The Redskins made Crowell look like prime Adrian Peterson, and I'm not sure I'd even consider Crowell a top fifteen RB in the NFL right now.  He's decent, but ultimately nothing special.

6 hours ago, dbunting said:

Well I feel a little better about Dallas after this week. The Bengals may not be an elite team but they are a good team, was nice to see Dallas play that well against a good team. 

My Ezekiel Elliot Fantasy Draft Buyer's Remorse has passed. The guy is starting to play as advertised.

2 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

My Ezekiel Elliot Fantasy Draft Buyer's Remorse has passed. The guy is starting to play as advertised.

He's the 4th best rusher all time through the first 5 games of his career.  He's playing better than advertised.  If there's one thing I've learned with regards to fantasy, people expect mega-blowup performances from their studs and are actually disappointed at an average game for that RB tier.

6 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

He's the 4th best rusher all time through the first 5 games of his career.  He's playing better than advertised.  If there's one thing I've learned with regards to fantasy, people expect mega-blowup performances from their studs and are actually disappointed at an average game for that RB tier.

Yeah, Fantasy Owners tend to freak out too early, for sure. That said, I picked him very early in the first round in 2 Fantasy drafts. He did look pretty pedestrian in his first 3 starts. Granted, he's a rookie, but I was starting to panic a little bit.

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, Fantasy Owners tend to freak out too early, for sure. That said, I picked him very early in the first round in 2 Fantasy drafts. He did look pretty pedestrian in his first 3 starts. Granted, he's a rookie, but I was starting to panic a little bit.

In his first 3 starts he was on the same pace as the RB5 last year extrapolating to 16 games with the small sample size, or RB10 compared to top 10 RBs through 3 weeks last year (admittedly, a down year for RBs), as a rookie getting up to speed with the NFL. Most people just don't realize that 10 points a game average puts you around RB 10-15 if you play all season.

3 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

In his first 3 starts he was on the same pace as the RB5 last year extrapolating to 16 games with the small sample size, or RB10 compared to top 10 RBs through 3 weeks last year (admittedly, a down year for RBs), as a rookie getting up to speed with the NFL. Most people just don't realize that 10 points a game average puts you around RB 10-15 if you play all season.

Yeah, his scoring average was fine, but TDs skew that. It was more YPC and the eye test that I was concerned about. You're certainly right to bring up the rookie factor. It's pretty ridiculous to assume that he's going to come in hot right of the jump. There's always a learning curve, even for RBs. I'm with you on the 10 pts a game deal. That's basically the average I'm looking for for my skill position guys.

3 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, his scoring average was fine, but TDs skew that. It was more YPC and the eye test that I was concerned about. You're certainly right to bring up the rookie factor. It's pretty ridiculous to assume that he's going to come in hot right of the jump. There's always a learning curve, even for RBs. I'm with you on the 10 pts a game deal. That's basically the average I'm looking for for my skill position guys.

I don't like relying on TDs, but Elliot isn't a guy like Gordon or Mathews whose early season value relied on multi-TD games.  I don't know if you watched the games or just the stat line, but the O-line wasn't quite gelled yet, and Elliot was running like he was trying to prove he was worthy of a #4 overall pick every single run.  Was still very easy to see the talent.  And most importantly to me, he has a very clear handcuff who isn't good enough to threaten him, but is good enough to still produce at a high fantasy level behind him.  Worst case scenario is you lose part of a game if Elliott gets hurt.  A guy like David Johnson or Gurley doesn't have that. 

I think Elliot was very good his first two games, he averaged 67 yards rushing and a td each game, was on pace for 1000+ yards and 16 tds. Would have been #1 or 2 RB last year. In 2015 only 7 RB's had 1000+ yards and none had more than 11 tds.

Now that he has learned to wait for the holes to open up and trust that they will be there his yards have increased substantially. That first game he was running right into his lineman because the hole wasn't there yet, left a lot of yards on the table because of it. Now he is on pace for 1747 yards and 16 tds. Awesome production for any running back let alone a rookie. I figure he will likely end up around 1600 total yds and 14 total tds(including receiving). His receiving is what I am waiting to see next. He swings out quite a bit and I could see him breaking a couple long ones with his speed.

As a Cowboys fan I have to hope they give Morris 5-10 carries per week to keep Zeke fresh and not wear him out.

I'll jump in the Ezekiel Elliot conversation with some hyperbole. This is just the beginning of his career, and it is incredibly improbable in today's league that he will have the longevity of the best running backs to play the game. Having said that, in the last three games, he is playing the position as well or better than anyone. The only other person I have seen film on to have the combination of speed and power that he has shown is Jim Brown. It has been jaw dropping watching this kid play. Thank you San Diego for taking Joey Bosa.

1 hour ago, Howdyphillip said:

I'll jump in the Ezekiel Elliot conversation with some hyperbole. This is just the beginning of his career, and it is incredibly improbable in today's league that he will have the longevity of the best running backs to play the game. Having said that, in the last three games, he is playing the position as well or better than anyone. The only other person I have seen film on to have the combination of speed and power that he has shown is Jim Brown. It has been jaw dropping watching this kid play. Thank you San Diego for taking Joey Bosa.

Yeah, more than a bit of hyperbole. He's running behind a historically great offensive line. He's definitely a good talent, but he's being propped up by an outrageous offensive line.

1 hour ago, Howdyphillip said:

Bo Jackson?

Archived