Rhaenys_Targaryen

Most precise ASOIAF timeline v.3

54 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Since Tyrion leaves Westeros early in 300 AC, and ADWD ends about half a year, or slightly more, later, it cannot be the new year yet.

I suppose it is possible that Volantis has decided to go to war earlier than originally planned.

Or maybe the George was trying to push time faster...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Or maybe the George was trying to push time faster...

I doubt it, since in ADWD it is later specified that the Red Wedding is only some half a year ago. And unless Roslin has been pregnant for more than a year, since she has not yet given birth when the GC lands (and had only conceived at the end of 299 AC), Volantis has a different date for the new year than Westeros (who, we know, start the count of their year on the day Aegon was crowned in Oldtown, and Volantis has absolutely no reason to use Aegon as a reference for their own count.).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

I doubt it, since in ADWD it is later specified that the Red Wedding is only some half a year ago. And unless Roslin has been pregnant for more than a year, since she has not yet given birth when the GC lands (and had only conceived at the end of 299 AC), Volantis has a different date for the new year than Westeros (who, we know, start the count of their year on the day Aegon was crowned in Oldtown, and Volantis has absolutely no reason to use Aegon as a reference for their own count.).

You win. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This isn't about the timeline but the travel speed rates. Someone wrote that in Quentyn II for a 100 miles it takes 6 days large group riding, but it's actually league. I mean, the document doesn't say it's 100 but everything is in mpd. 

Quote

It was a hundred leagues from Astapor to Yunkai by the old Ghiscari coast road, and another fifty from Yunkai to Meereen. The free companies, well mounted, could reach Yunkai in six days of hard riding, or eight at a more leisurely pace. The legions from Old Ghis would take half again as long, marching afoot, and the Yunkai'i and their slave soldiers … 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Zyee said:

This isn't about the timeline but the travel speed rates. Someone wrote that in Quentyn II for a 100 miles it takes 6 days large group riding, but it's actually league. I mean, the document doesn't say it's 100 but everything is in mpd. 

 

Fixed it! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

In Theon Winds, 

Spoiler

it is still snowing...

Quote

The door opened with a gust of cold black wind and a swirl of snow.

...

The maester vanished in another blast of cold and snow.

...

Roose Bolton was not a man to blunder blindly out into the snow, map or no.

 

In Jon XIII, Dance 69, the storm has ended...

Quote

The Wall was a dull white, the sky above it whiter. A snow sky. "Just pray we do not get another storm."

Although, another storm would begin again before the chapter's end. 

Edited by Lost Melnibonean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Rhaenys_Targaryen can I ask the thinking for listing Jon's name day before Robb's? It seems clear to me that both Catelyn and Ned's stories are that Jon is conceived after Ned leaves her pregnant with Robb. Sometime after that date, not right after it. Whatever the real date of Jon's birth, it should be clear that his name day is celebrated after Robb's. Or that is how I see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Rhaenys_Targaryen

Thank you for this document! It is an invaluable aid for me when writing That Which Shall Not Be Mentioned on this board.

In II.300 you have a little mess with Tyrion - he first leaves Pentos - 2.II, and then he he kills Tywin on 7.II .

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15-7-2017 at 9:20 AM, TMIFairy said:

@Rhaenys_Targaryen

Thank you for this document! It is an invaluable aid for me when writing That Which Shall Not Be Mentioned on this board.

In II.300 you have a little mess with Tyrion - he first leaves Pentos - 2.II, and then he he kills Tywin on 7.II .

:)

Oops! That's a silly mistake, of course. Will change it!

 

On 15-7-2017 at 0:56 AM, SFDanny said:

@Rhaenys_Targaryen can I ask the thinking for listing Jon's name day before Robb's? It seems clear to me that both Catelyn and Ned's stories are that Jon is conceived after Ned leaves her pregnant with Robb. Sometime after that date, not right after it. Whatever the real date of Jon's birth, it should be clear that his name day is celebrated after Robb's. Or that is how I see it.

That stems from the issue with Tyrion's travel-time in AGOT. Jon turns 15 while Tyrion is still at the Wall. But Tyrion has such long distances to travel  after leaving the Wall (from the Wall to Winterfell, from Winterfell to the Inn at the Crossroads, from there to the Eyrie, to Tywin's army, wich whom he stays for a while, until he leaves for KL), that having Tyrion leave the Wall much later than he does now brings us in trouble with his travel-speed (which is already rather fast :) ). 

If you know a way to tweak it so the order is properly displayed, please don't hesitate to post it :) Because I agree, with Ned's story and Catelyn's believes, Jon's nameday is celebrated after Robb's, not before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Oops! That's a silly mistake, of course. Will change it!

 

That stems from the issue with Tyrion's travel-time in AGOT. Jon turns 15 while Tyrion is still at the Wall. But Tyrion has such long distances to travel  after leaving the Wall (from the Wall to Winterfell, from Winterfell to the Inn at the Crossroads, from there to the Eyrie, to Tywin's army, wich whom he stays for a while, until he leaves for KL), that having Tyrion leave the Wall much later than he does now brings us in trouble with his travel-speed (which is already rather fast :) ). 

If you know a way to tweak it so the order is properly displayed, please don't hesitate to post it :) Because I agree, with Ned's story and Catelyn's believes, Jon's nameday is celebrated after Robb's, not before.

Thank you, RT. I know this issue, but i was hoping there was more that I wasn't seeing.

As I think I've stated before, I think the answer in all cases is  to only use travel times for starting estimates when we have nothing else to go on. Sequence should, I believe, trump travel times every time in making up these timelines. I'll get back to you with any suggestions on how best to fix this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's me again :)

"Tywin's funerals" are listed twice -12.II and 14.II - not that two days makes much of a difference :) - he was a smelly boy either way :D

The 9.II (my BD, BTW) entry of 300AC is so cryptic that it simply must foreshadow something awesome :D  - "only cat" - DUM!DUM!DUM!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, TMIFairy said:

It's me again :)

"Tywin's funerals" are listed twice -12.II and 14.II - not that two days makes much of a difference :) - he was a smelly boy either way :D

That's not a mistake :) Both chapters describe one of the seven days and nights of Tywin's funeral. During Jaime's chapter, we learn that it has not yet been seven days (which is why the two chapters are not placed further apart), but that the smell is becomming so bad that Jaime feels Cersei should call an end to it anyway.

46 minutes ago, TMIFairy said:

The 9.II (my BD, BTW) entry of 300AC is so cryptic that it simply must foreshadow something awesome :D  - "only cat" - DUM!DUM!DUM!

 

 

Hahaha, I've added slightly more info (though it still states "only cat" as well ;) )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16-7-2017 at 9:08 PM, SFDanny said:

Thank you, RT. I know this issue, but i was hoping there was more that I wasn't seeing.

As I think I've stated before, I think the answer in all cases is  to only use travel times for starting estimates when we have nothing else to go on. Sequence should, I believe, trump travel times every time in making up these timelines. I'll get back to you with any suggestions on how best to fix this.

That would be much appreciated :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

That's not a mistake :) Both chapters describe one of the seven days and nights of Tywin's funeral.

 

Oh, silly me. I missed this being a drawn out affair with Tywin ending up post end-date :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now