wake the dragon

Victor Newman

". . . want to wake the dragon . . ."

Dany's dream of waking the dragon (page 727 in the ebook) is the point when she decided to embrace her destiny as the Azor Ahai.  The ghost kings lining the hallway were all the previous versions of AA.  Notice that the men do not all have the same color of hair, nor the same eye color.  Which make it unlikely that they were her ancestors.  Each of the kings had their version of the lightbringer.  What they didn't have is a dragon.  I also think they failed to win their war with the Others.  What we know of history may be wrong.  I think they were telling her to "wake the dragon" and use the dragon's power to destroy the white walkers. 

I don't think there is a way to get rid of the white walkers but having dragons would give the humans the leverage they need to negotiate the terms.

In regards to the ghosts not having the same hair and eye colour:

"… want to wake the dragon …"
Ghosts lined the hallway, dressed in the faded raiment of kings. In their hands were swords of pale fire. They had hair of silver and hair of gold and hair of platinum white, and their eyes were opal and amethyst, tourmaline and jade. "Faster," they cried, "faster, faster." She raced, her feet melting the stone wherever they touched. "Faster!" the ghosts cried as one, and she screamed and threw herself forward. A great knife of pain ripped down her back, and she felt her skin tear open and smelled the stench of burning blood and saw the shadow of wings. And Daenerys Targaryen flew.
"… wake the dragon …"
Daenerys IX, aGoT
(taken from A Search of Ice and Fire)

Valyrians were famous for their silver, gold and platinum white hair, and although most of them had eyes who were various degrees of purple, they also did have other eye colours, like sky-blue, etc.

So, maybe the ghosts are her ancestors.

13 minutes ago, Vaedys Targaryen said:

In regards to the ghosts not having the same hair and eye colour:

Valyrians were famous for their silver, gold and platinum white hair, and although most of them had eyes who were various degrees of purple, they also did have other eye colours, like sky-blue, etc.

So, maybe the ghosts are her ancestors.

Since all the gemstones mentioned have a version in a purple shade, the eyes are most certainly all purple also. Therefore, they are certainly Dany's ancestors.

Yes this scene Tells us how Dany is Waking up the Dragon .

But I would also like to point out things we should also notice are .,

1) the place and location dany is in the dream ..she was trapped inside a stone archway and in darkness..

2) she is trying to flee away from the dark and cold trying to find a way out of the stone 

3) she is guided by her ancestors who were dragons and who help dany wake as LAST Dragon and fly out of there

But the important thing is what we see before this at the start of dream ..

we specifically see the deaths of Viserys and Rhaego ..Death of two kings since Rhaego becomes the heir of Visreys 

So the Dream Starts with Death of two Kings and end with waking of a Dragon ( dany) 

8 hours ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

Actually, Dany has awoken the dragon as well as the dragons.  Thus she fulfilled the requirement to be Azor Ahai.

I agree that she fits the prophecy born amidst salt tears and smoke in her sandsilk tent when MMD performs the ritual to wake the ancient powers.  Reborn in fire on the day the great red comet appears when she wakes dragons from stone.

A Game of Thrones - Daenerys IX

She could feel the heat inside her, a terrible burning in her womb. Her son was tall and proud, with Drogo's copper skin and her own silver-gold hair, violet eyes shaped like almonds. And he smiled for her and began to lift his hand toward hers, but when he opened his mouth the fire poured out. She saw his heart burning through his chest, and in an instant he was gone, consumed like a moth by a candle, turned to ash. She wept for her child, the promise of a sweet mouth on her breast, but her tears turned to steam as they touched her skin.

"… want to wake the dragon …"

Ghosts lined the hallway, dressed in the faded raiment of kings. In their hands were swords of pale fire. They had hair of silver and hair of gold and hair of platinum white, and their eyes were opal and amethyst, tourmaline and jade. "Faster," they cried, "faster, faster." She raced, her feet melting the stone wherever they touched. "Faster!" the ghosts cried as one, and she screamed and threw herself forward. A great knife of pain ripped down her back, and she felt her skin tear open and smelled the stench of burning blood and saw the shadow of wings. And Daenerys Targaryen flew.

In this dream, Dany doesn't just wake the dragon; she is transformed into the dragon, as well as becoming the mother of dragons. 

To make another outgrageous claim; I would say that R'hllor and Azor Ahai are one in the same and that he is forging more than one instrument;  Dany and Jon.

I'd also agree that Dany sees the line of her ancestors in her dream.  We see this with the Starks and their kings of winter and with Jaime in his dream of Cersei, Tywin and Joffrey, along with the shades of his ancestors going back to Lann the Clever.

Although in Dany's dream, her ancestors are holding a pale sword which would suggest the Dawn Sword and the Daynes as ancestors.  In contrast to the flaming sword Lightbringer, the red sword of heroes, something that is warm to the touch according to Aemon.  This also suggests the Lord of Light, R'hllor, a god that Melisandre insists exists; a great dragon god; a flaming sword in other words and the dragon of Dany's dreams. 

The prophecies are a mash up and expressed several ways in the books.  It seems likely to me that Jon is the second forging of the sword 'in the heart of a lion' and Dany will be the third in the heart of AA's beloved.

I don't confuse lion-hearted with Lannister Lions of gold. Lions are symbolic of kings and royalty.  There is a saying that one shouldn't wake a sleeping lion.  That would seem to go hand in hand with warnings about 'waking the dragon'.  At the end of DwD, Jon's body and soul are split in two and he is likely to be reborn in salt and smoke as well. 

A Dance with Dragons - Jon XIII

"I have made mistakes, I have admitted as much, but—"

"A grey girl on a dying horse. Daggers in the dark. A promised prince, born in smoke and salt. It seems to me that you make nothing but mistakes, my lady. Where is Stannis? What of Rattleshirt and his spearwives?

Castle Black has an abundance of salt blocks and a smokehouse.  That GRRM puts that specific phrasing in Jon's mouth may also indicate that he was born in a place of salt and smoke as well and that points to the Quiet Isle amidst the saltpans and smoking beehives.

23 hours ago, Take Me 2 Your Leader said:

". . . want to wake the dragon . . ."

Dany's dream of waking the dragon (page 727 in the ebook) is the point when she decided to embrace her destiny as the Azor Ahai.  The ghost kings lining the hallway were all the previous versions of AA.  Notice that the men do not all have the same color of hair, nor the same eye color.  Which make it unlikely that they were her ancestors.  Each of the kings had their version of the lightbringer.  What they didn't have is a dragon.  I also think they failed to win their war with the Others.  What we know of history may be wrong.  I think they were telling her to "wake the dragon" and use the dragon's power to destroy the white walkers. 

I don't think there is a way to get rid of the white walkers but having dragons would give the humans the leverage they need to negotiate the terms.

Maybe the souls of those long dead kings are now the three dragons that came to life.  She only had three eggs.  Had more eggs been available, more of these guys would have come back as dragons.

Archived