Quentyn possible arc in Winds of Winter?

Cregan Storm

3 minutes ago, Cregan Storm said:

If Quentyn is alive in Winds of Winter what kind of story arc could you see him following? I like to think that he will be a darker character marked by his scars. I believe he will take control of the windblown after the Battle of Mereen.

Quentyn is confirmed dead by Missandei and Barristan Selmy, and it is clearly known to others like Skahaz. I see no reason to believe he will be resurrected in any way.

1 hour ago, Cregan Storm said:

I give it 60/40 that Quentyn is alive, George's wording in the Dragontamer chapter is very suspect and doesn't match the other dragon related deaths in the series. Also Gerys and Arch behave very oddly when being questioned by Barristan and even lie.

Quentyn is confirmed dead by two characters in the same scene as both look on his corpse. There is nothing at all suspect about the wording.

I suppose there is a slight chance that Quentyn is alive; when he was burned, the description of it was totally different from all the other dragon burnings that we've seen throughout the books. If the Tattered Prince is the person who died in Quentyn's stead and Quentyn is still alive but burned to near unrecognition, he could put on the tattered cloak and pretend to be the Tattered Prince, since we're told that the Prince looks like any other man without his cloak.

I see many possibilities of this being the case:

Quentyn's face will be almost unrecognisable, but he'll be wearing the Tattered Prince's cloak, which will distinquish him from everyone else.

If he doesn't really know any of the commanders in the Windbown it can be blamed on disillusion because of his injuries.

His voice might have taken some damage as well, either he needs to whisper or his voice is now raspy, which means his voice wouldn't give him away.

Quentyn can also read and write High Valyrian (but has a bit of difficulty speaking it), which the Tattered Prince did too and High Valyrian is "the closest thing the Windblown have to a company tongue". If Quentyn can simply work on his High Valyrian, while wearing the tattered cloak, he can very easily pass as the Prince.

While there is no reason to think that Quentyn isn't dead, if when one of our POVs see the Tattered Prince and describe him as seriously burnt and behaving strange, then the Prince actually being Quentyn is something that I'll keep in mind.

1 hour ago, Bael's Bastard said:

Quentyn is confirmed dead by two characters in the same scene as both look on his corpse. There is nothing at all suspect about the wording.

A sellsword that Arch and Drink burned to pass off as Quentyn in my eyes, suspicious behavior from Drink being unsettled, and claiming to have stood over Quentyn with his sword (to protect him from what?) Arch lying to Barristan about Drink killing a guard, Arch interrupts Drink several times to defend Quents honor, and Quentyn describes the dragon's breath as a furnace wind, not at all like we have seen. 

2 hours ago, Lew Theobald said:

Yes, thank goodness.  Especially the part where he wakes up in Hell, being tortured by pitchforks.  And when he asks what he did to deserve it, Satan reminds him of the murder of those poor innocent guards.  That is what finally convinced me he was dead.  I wasn't sure until then.

But come on.  Don't be such a spoil sport.  In a spirit of fun, why not just go with the OP's hypothetical?

Because there is canon, all but canon (eg R + L = J), plausible but unsubstantiated, crackpot, and then so far beyond the realm of crackpot it barely even merits a response. Those would be threads like Mance = Rhaegar, Ned is still alive, HR = HS, or this one.

55 minutes ago, Cregan Storm said:

A sellsword that Arch and Drink burned to pass off as Quentyn in my eyes, suspicious behavior from Drink being unsettled, and claiming to have stood over Quentyn with his sword (to protect him from what?) Arch lying to Barristan about Drink killing a guard, Arch interrupts Drink several times to defend Quents honor, and Quentyn describes the dragon's breath as a furnace wind, not at all like we have seen. 

A sellsword who refers to himself as Quentyn, thinks of himself by his nicknames, refers to his father Doran, and has his head and neck? Most of the head and neck from the crossbowmen who also got burnt. 

Drink was standing over Quentyn to protect his living lord (and the big man) from the guards running in or the sellswords? Do you honestly think guards who were protecting the city from dragons weren't a danger from killing people who let them loose? Here's what Barristan said about it:

“He came too late, though, and this folly … buying sellswords, loosing two dragons on the city … that was madness and worse than madness. That was treason.”

Lying about Gerris not killing a locust? Well it's irrelevant since Arch killed one.

Arch interrupts Drink because he was saying stupid shit and Arch wanted to get out of the god damn jail.

Furnace wind? How about the entire quote:

“Quentyn turned and threw his left arm across his face to shield his eyes from the furnace wind. Rhaegal, he reminded himself, the green one is Rhaegal.
When he raised his whip, he saw that the lash was burning. His hand as well. All of him, all of him was burning.
Oh, he thought. Then he began to scream.”

Oh well all of him is burning. That seems a lot more than a furnace wind. Possibly because Rhaegal was the one burning him not Viserion? 

4 hours ago, Lew Theobald said:

Excellent point.  The last time I felt that all of me was burning, I went to the doctor and he confirmed that I was dead.

If you had died instead of feeling a hot wind, I'm sure you would be with your doctor and had died. Luckily we know he died and he was burnt all over by at least one dragon. 

Please give a mildly compelling piece of evidence he's alive

@Cregan Storm

Psssh, don't listen to the silly people who think Quentyn is dead. Burnt bones prove nothing. In case anyone hasn't seen this amazing PJ video:

And... cue the PJ haters! :D 

Anyways... I think Quentyn will somehow manage to get a dragon (Rhaegal?) all the way to Aegon and give it to him. And I think Aegon (although not actually the son of Rhaegar) will be able to legit bond with the dragon (unlike Quentyn, who effectively fed it tasty humans to become its friend in a manner similar to Nettles). And then I think Quentyn will be wrapped up in the war fighting for Aegon against Dany, while his father and sister remain neutral. I hope that he has an in-person confrontation with his sister and/or father, because that would be great. I think that Quentyn may actually end up surviving, but he will forever bear the burn scars from his little episode in ADWD and look even more like frog prince. I won't be surprised if he ends up living out his dreams, that is marrying Gwyneth Yronwood and relaxing. He may even be named the new lord of Yronwood if the rest of the family is wiped out by war.

And on a slightly related note, I don't think Victarion is going to steal a dragon with that horn. I think he will steal the Unsullied, who have all been primed for telepathic re-enslavement by Chekhov's unnamed Unsullied goddess aka the Bride of Battle, and they are about to all be outside the walls of Meereen when the horn is blown. The point is, at least one of Dany's dragons needs to be stolen soon, and Victarion is probably not going to be the one to do it. So who else could steal a dragon? Quentyn.

Preston's Quentyn is alive video is certainly a great exercise in making the most out of highly circumstantial pieces of evidence. In that way I admire it. It would make good training in law school.

However what circumstantial evidence can't do is refute actual proof.

We have that proof here in Quentyn's being aflame in his own POV-chapter, his 2- day stay on the deathbed, his dying and his corpse.

46 minutes ago, Lew Theobald said:

Me neither.  My guess is that book 6 with have nothing at all do to with Quentyn being completely and utterly dead.  But you demanded evidence that will convince you.  And we both know that book 6 is the only evidence that could convince you.

But seriously dude.  What's the point of heckling people with demands for evidence that you know won't convince you?  Until book 6 comes out and proves otherwise, you've clearly made up your mind.  In the meantime, different people are willing to consider different theories.  Live and let live.

Discuss the theory if you have something do add.  But don't heckle.  You may think R+L=J = all-but-canon, but could you prove it to a hostile skeptic?  Of course not.  

Book 6 won't do anything to change that he's dead and I made up my mind by reading what the book told us. R + L = J is essentially all but canon. I wouldn't expect a hostile skeptic to believe it but I can present mildly compelling evidence. 

This has neither. All I asked for was mildly compelling evidence. All that's ever been presented are an unsupported theory about the body being a sellsword (ignoring the fact aforementioned sellsword had most of his head and neck missing), Quentyn's POV being a false POV, or some circumstances that don't even merit the description of "wishy/washy" (Eg Gerris protecting vulnerable friends from hostile guards, Arch telling Drink to shut his mouth because of dumb words coming out).

12 minutes ago, Lew Theobald said:

Well, there's a bit more.  There are the points presented in the Preston Jacobs video, and the earlier Fearsome Fred threads in this forum.  But I presume you're already familiar with all that.  That's all there is.  There ain't no more.  Some people find it "mildly compelling" but you don't.  You know why people think he is alive, and you don't agree.  

So why barge in like an avenging angel, trying to heckle discussions of theories you disapprove of, demanding evidence you know does not exist?

The dead crossbowman and the man who died on Dany's bed are obviously not the same.  But this is hardly a problem as we know there were several other people present (all dressed alike; all dressed like Quentyn).

And only two of whom were burnt....

Doesn't really matter if they were dressed alike if only one was left alive and burnt. So unless you think the POV is false, it makes no sense.

Just now, Lew Theobald said:

No POV establishes that only 2 people were burnt.  Even in Quentyn's POV he only knows what is happening to those he is actually looking at.  And what happens after his POV ends abruptly is completely unknown.  Unless you want to trust those 2 devious Dornishmen, who imply that all the other Windblown escape (but even then, no claim is made that they escaped without burns).

I see no reason to distrust the narrative set before us. So if people want to fantasize about head canon, sure they can. George has never "offed" anyone in a remotely similar manner and had them come back. And if there is anything in this series that strikes you, it's the parallels between certain characters and story arcs.

Archived