Cricket: ODIs Aren’t Proper Cricket Edition

Hereward

I think Sayers’ record is a result of: (1) faltering batting stocks in FC cricket in Australia; (2) significantly more bowler-friendly conditions in Shield games as the State teams seek an outright result in four days; and (3) him being a more skilful bowler than the Wanderers pitch is enabling him to demonstrate. 

On his record: I actually think he’s been better in recent seasons than earlier in his career.

I imagine on greentops and in English-style conditions, Sayers could be a bit of a handful - bowling wicket to wicket and making the ball move. But he's probably not really right for this pitch.

The weather forecast at Johannesburg looks a bit iffy - I was surprised the South Africans batted so slowly.

That being said, I suppose they already lead by 401 with two whole days remaining, so runs really aren't the issue, they already have enough. It's probably more about time management - to give the bowlers a rest and to set up the right amount of time to bowl Australia out. I suspect they won't bother with getting the lower order in to bat and they'll probably declare if they get 6 down.

Apparently they can't start early tomorrow because of dew, and they can't go later because of light. While nice for New Zealand's chances, this really does show some deep problems with the scheduling: not only do we play too little test cricket, and not only are we're stuck with stupid two-test series, when we do have a test match, it gets scheduled in early April in the South Island - after daylight saving has ended. I mean, would anyone organise a test match in England for early October? 

Good luck for NZ but England will feel hard done by in those conditions.

South Africa starting to open up after a very dour opening hour where Dean Elgar didn't score a single run. However, once Cummins and Hazlewood were taken off, Faf started attacking. Sayers came on and Elgar charged him and lofted him over mid-on...when Dean Elgar is doing that to a pace bowler, you know they don't have much speed in the locker.

Just heard of an incredible statistic. In the whole series (7 innings so far) no Australian has scored a century, but even worse, there has not been a single century partnership (Cummins and Paine's partnership of 99 yesterday was the highest of the series for any Australian pairing). I hadn't quite realised how badly the Australian batsmen had done - or how well the South African bowlers have been at keeping up the pressure.

Yes a poor series for Australia with the bat - only Paine is averaging over 40. This is the kind of series that affirms my perception of these Aussie batsmen as flat-track bullies.

Guys like Mitchell Marsh might look fine on the WACA, with it’s true bounce and little sideways movement. But any inconsistent bounce or seam movement (not to mention faster bowling than England had on offer) and it’s all over.

It probably didn't help that Warner and Smith even before they were banned were performing very poorly according to their high standards. Yesterday they flashed up a statistic showing all the Australian centuries since 2013 and Smith and Warner were miles ahead of the rest and well into the double figures, I think contributing more than half of all centuries since that time, and the next best was someone on 5 centuries. For a while the lineup has been heavily reliant on those two. Doesn't bode well for the next 12 months.

Mitchell Marsh, although he recently scored a couple of hundreds, is still part of the selectors' obsession with finding an all-rounder. But he hasn't even really been used very much as a bowler in Tests, so it's a bit of a confusing selection. Renshaw and Handscomb showed promise but had the sophomore slump...I think CA has to try and stick with them and see them through it. I wonder whether the overwhelming success of the Big Bash in the past half dozen years has potentially robbed Australia of some people who would have otherwise become good Test batsmen.

I think part of it is also that the batsmen who aren't world-class don't seem to have a particular character or style. Look past AB de Villiers and you still know what you get with an Elgar (tough wicket to get, grinds it out, doesn't look pretty but knows how to be effective). The lesser lights seem settled and know how to do their role. But if you look past Steve Smith and David Warner, it would be tough for me to be able to describe what role or style Shaun Marsh or Usman Khawaja play.

Yes I agree: effectively the lineup Lehmann and co have put together is so reliant on Smith and Warner that the rest of the batsmen are almost there for “bonus runs”, rather than any particular role. There’s no Hussey (the Mr Fix-it and master of batting with the lower order) or Brad Haddin (high strike-rate rearguard). No Chris Rogers-type at the top who would bat through the Blitz.

I’ll chuck another little factoid in to the mix: we know that Australia has struggled away from home over an extended period.  But South Africa was always their “easy” away tour - familiar wickets and an opposition who always seemed to find ways to lose. Now even that last bastion has been breached.

Could explain why Faf is trying to bat Australia out of the match. Although I think the lead they have is already insurmountable. He does need to declare soon though if he wants to win. If they are two bowlers down then they will likely need more time to get everyone out in time. Specially considering Maharaz will need to bowl more overs and potentially some part timers in to give the fast bowler(s?) some adequate rest.

45 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Could explain why Faf is trying to bat Australia out of the match. Although I think the lead they have is already insurmountable. He does need to declare soon though if he wants to win. If they are two bowlers down then they will likely need more time to get everyone out in time. Specially considering Maharaz will need to bowl more overs and potentially some part timers in to give the fast bowler(s?) some adequate rest.

Not declaring when the lead is over 600 does seem a bit absurd even if half the bowling attack is unable to bowl. If Australia had a settled batting line-up then I could maybe being understand being conservative if South Africa were worried about their bowlers but with Smith and Warner missing I doubt Australia are going to manage any batting miracles.

I think whoever is doing the Cricinfo text commentary may be getting a bit bored by this:

102.4 MR Marsh to Philander, no run,

sleeves rip off as he flexes his muscles, screams 'Wakanda Forever!' and smashes this out of the continent blocks on the front foot in front of off stump

Well, I can see the logic behind Faf delaying the declaration. Morkel with a side strain and talk that both Rabada and Philander have knocks as well -  back and groin problem respectively. Probably didn't want to spend more than a session in the field. Four sessions should be enough to bowl Australia out anyway and wickets have tumbled in the 3rd session during this series.

Well, South Africa doesn't really mind a draw - they'll still win the series 2-1.

It depends on how much Morkel, Rabada and Philander want to push their respective injuries, and how they'll shape up tomorrow after a night's rest. Maharaj is going to be in for lots of overs.

Yes it was quite a drought after the Fleming-engineered win in ‘99. England always seemed to find ways to draw series even as the Black Caps steadily improved on the back of Taylor/Williamson/McCullum and co.

Archived