Tywin et al.

NFL 2018 Superb Owl Edition: Is There A Way To Tell If Gronk Is Concussed?

414 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I'd actually be surprised if Brady did NOT have some kind of understanding with Kraft about future arrangements, a stake in the team, or something like that. Not to mention he gets to have his TB12 thing right there in Patriots Place (for which I am sure he pays market rate rent, cough cough).

As long as those understandings are merely of the handshake variety rather than actually signed somewhere, I have trouble really caring.  This happens throughout sports, and sometimes it goes great, sometimes it blows up and everybody looks like an ass (see Michael Jordan and the Wizards).  Brady knows that any "agreement" based purely on trust can be broken in a second, and NFL owners have a long history of promising more than they deliver. 

I don't even know what TB12 thing you're talking about. 

Edited by Maithanet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, aceluby said:

It drives me CRAZY when people think we have the cap room to get Cousins.  Sure, for a year or two we do, but what about after that?  Then we have an overpaid average quarterback with no weapons around him and.... shit we turn into the skins for the next decade.

Hopefully the queens are smart about this and get someone to carry the torch for 10-15 mil a year while shoring up a few solid backups at OL, DL, DB, and LB.  Do that and keep room to pay the guys who will want it, and deserve it in 3 years and you have the foundations of a dynasty.  Blow your wad now on an expensive quarterback and we might have a year or two of success, followed by 5 years of typical vikings mediocrity.

100% agree. If the Vikings are smart, they’ll have a chance to set themselves up to be a top 5 team for the next five plus seasons, but if they’re not, we’ll have one or two more good years then go back to where we always are, floating somewhere in the middle.

6 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I'd actually be surprised if Brady did NOT have some kind of understanding with Kraft about future arrangements, a stake in the team, or something like that. Not to mention he gets to have his TB12 thing right there in Patriots Place (for which I am sure he pays market rate rent, cough cough).

I’ve always assumed this was the case with elite players who spend their entire careers with one team while taking under market contracts. For example, I expect Wade and Dirk will be part owners of their respective teams a few years after their retirement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

 

I don't even know what TB12 thing you're talking about. 

Check the Wickersham article the week or so before the AFC title game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

As long as those understandings are merely of the handshake variety rather than actually signed somewhere, I have trouble really caring.  This happens throughout sports, and sometimes it goes great, sometimes it blows up and everybody looks like an ass (see Michael Jordan and the Wizards).  Brady knows that any "agreement" based purely on trust can be broken in a second, and NFL owners have a long history of promising more than they deliver. 

I don't even know what TB12 thing you're talking about. 

I don't much care about Brady's potential wink wink deals either. But if it irritates the mcbigskis of the world, that's dandy.

He has a "sports therapy center" in the mall by Gillette. That's where his snake oil nutritionist is based. I bet he gets a lot of "synergistic effects" for his business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, aceluby said:

It drives me CRAZY when people think we have the cap room to get Cousins.  Sure, for a year or two we do, but what about after that?  Then we have an overpaid average quarterback with no weapons around him and.... shit we turn into the skins for the next decade.

Let's not get crazy.  You'll have to do a LOT more than just overpaying Kirk Cousins before you can be compared to this franchise. 

 

3 hours ago, aceluby said:

Hopefully the queens are smart about this and get someone to carry the torch for 10-15 mil a year while shoring up a few solid backups at OL, DL, DB, and LB. 

What quarterback do you think you can get for less than $15 million dollars?  Because the only starters in the league at that rate are guys on their rookie contract.  This article estimates Case Keenum will command $15 mil a year and that's before he led the Vikings to the NFCCG.  I expect it will be higher now.  So do you want to roll into the season with some career washout like Fitzpatrick or Cutler or Gabbert?  Because anybody better than that will cost more than $15 mil. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I spend my day in the car for work, I listening to sports radio most of the day.......I cannot believe how dumb some of these Giants fans are that call in on these sports shows.  Not draft a QB at 2?  Barkley at 2?  Davis Webb is the future?  As a Giants fan, I think the Giants would be major idiots for not drafting a QB with the 2nd pick.  The Giants have to draft the next franchise QB and let him compete with Webb for the backup spot.  Being flush with young QB talent is not a bad problem.  Can't stand these idiots calling in saying build around Eli, don't get a QB, get Barkely.  I LOVE ELI but he's got 2 solid years left, if that.  The Giants need to get their future QB at 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

What quarterback do you think you can get for less than $15 million dollars?  Because the only starters in the league at that rate are guys on their rookie contract.  This article estimates Case Keenum will command $15 mil a year and that's before he led the Vikings to the NFCCG.  I expect it will be higher now.  So do you want to roll into the season with some career washout like Fitzpatrick or Cutler or Gabbert?  Because anybody better than that will cost more than $15 mil. 

The QB doesn’t have to be that cheap, but the contract has to be short. We can afford an expensive QB for two years, but not any longer unless they’re a top 10ish QB which would make it easier to let some players walk.

There’s also the Bridgewater loophole. The team can’t really act until that’s resolved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, the Greenleif Stark said:

I spend my day in the car for work, I listening to sports radio most of the day.......I cannot believe how dumb some of these Giants fans are that call in on these sports shows.  Not draft a QB at 2?  Barkley at 2?  Davis Webb is the future?  As a Giants fan, I think the Giants would be major idiots for not drafting a QB with the 2nd pick.  The Giants have to draft the next franchise QB and let him compete with Webb for the backup spot.  Being flush with young QB talent is not a bad problem.  Can't stand these idiots calling in saying build around Eli, don't get a QB, get Barkely.  I LOVE ELI but he's got 2 solid years left, if that.  The Giants need to get their future QB at 2

I saw a lot of Webb at Cal.  You are right.  He's a clipboard jockey in training.

Though if I were the Browns, I'd draft Barkley at #1 and a QB at #4.  Especially if you think Mayfield is real.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, the Greenleif Stark said:

I spend my day in the car for work, I listening to sports radio most of the day.......I cannot believe how dumb some of these Giants fans are that call in on these sports shows.  Not draft a QB at 2?  Barkley at 2?  Davis Webb is the future?  As a Giants fan, I think the Giants would be major idiots for not drafting a QB with the 2nd pick.  The Giants have to draft the next franchise QB and let him compete with Webb for the backup spot.  Being flush with young QB talent is not a bad problem.  Can't stand these idiots calling in saying build around Eli, don't get a QB, get Barkely.  I LOVE ELI but he's got 2 solid years left, if that.  The Giants need to get their future QB at 2

 

2 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

I saw a lot of Webb at Cal.  You are right.  He's a clipboard jockey in training.

Though if I were the Browns, I'd draft Barkley at #1 and a QB at #4.  Especially if you think Mayfield is real.  

See... I loved watching Barkley.  He was the kind of guy that you just knew something electric was about to happen if he got the ball.  He was even enough to make it tolerable watching a bunch of pedophile enabling fans drooling over their self righteousness.

But...

Part of me really just assumes he's going to be Reggie Bush.  And honestly, that wouldn't be all that bad of a career for the guy; but not something you build your franchise around.  I remember how stunned everyone was that the Texans took Mario Williams instead of Bush; but it was the right move then and the Giants taking a QB now is the right move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rhom said:

 

See... I loved watching Barkley.  He was the kind of guy that you just knew something electric was about to happen if he got the ball.  He was even enough to make it tolerable watching a bunch of pedophile enabling fans drooling over their self righteousness.

But...

Part of me really just assumes he's going to be Reggie Bush.  And honestly, that wouldn't be all that bad of a career for the guy; but not something you build your franchise around.  I remember how stunned everyone was that the Texans took Mario Williams instead of Bush; but it was the right move then and the Giants taking a QB now is the right move.

I wouldn't be surprised if they took a QB, but not with the second pick. If one of the QB needy teams that's a few picks back falls in love with a guy, and the Giants don't I could easily see them making a trade with Denver or the Jets to get a pick they can use on the O-Line and then grab Allen or Baker with the 5th or 6th pick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rhom said:

 

See... I loved watching Barkley.  He was the kind of guy that you just knew something electric was about to happen if he got the ball.  He was even enough to make it tolerable watching a bunch of pedophile enabling fans drooling over their self righteousness.

But...

Part of me really just assumes he's going to be Reggie Bush.  And honestly, that wouldn't be all that bad of a career for the guy; but not something you build your franchise around.  I remember how stunned everyone was that the Texans took Mario Williams instead of Bush; but it was the right move then and the Giants taking a QB now is the right move.

I concur in the case of the Giants.  They have too good a shot at a franchise QB this year to not take it.  It is the Browns who I think need to go QB/RB in some order and I'm of the opinion that waiting until #4 will be too late for Barkley, whom I think runs a lot "bigger" than Reggie Bush ever did.  I'm not so sold on Rosen or Darnold or Mayfield to be unwilling to take the one still left after drafting Barkley and letting the #2 team choose QBs first. 

The Colts actions will tell us a lot about their true thoughts on whether Luck is going to return.  Trading down makes sense if you don't think QB is the problem.  Or drafting Barkley if you can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why take Barkley first? I'm not hot on any of the top QBs, but I think it's smarter to pick the one that you think will be the best of the bunch and try to grab Barkley fourth. He'll most likely be there, and your consolation price is Chubb. Imagine pairing him with Garrett. And I believe I read that this years draft is pretty loaded at RB, so if you miss out on Barkley you could always grab someone in the second or third rounds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again... I like Barkley.  But there is literally no way I would use even a top ten pick on him.

I feel like in today’s NFL, it’s obvious that what you need to win is a QB who can throw and some big guys to keep him upright.  So my entire draft strategy is to take a passer and offensive tackles until I get it right.  After that, I go with someone who can knock down the other guy’s passer... so I go defensive tackle.

Once I think I’ve got those things reasonably in place, only then do I allow myself the luxury of a sexy running back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Again... I like Barkley.  But there is literally no way I would use even a top ten pick on him.

Hope all the teams in the top ten agree with you - would love if he fell to the niners.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

And I believe I read that this years draft is pretty loaded at RB

Yeah I've read that as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now