What were Tywin's thoughts on his mother?

Angel Eyes

It's mentioned that he loved his father even though he was an embarrassment, but it's never discussed what Tywin thought of his mother Jeyne Marbrand. Did he despise his brother Gerion for "killing" his mother, as Tywin would hate Tyrion? Did she do most of his rearing?

It seems as if George had Jeyne Marbrand die some time after Gerion's birth as to ensure that the connection Tywin made with Joanna-Tyrion was not so easily made with Jeyne-Gerion.

Aside from that it is also possible that Tywin was never all that close to his mother.

2 hours ago, Kandrax said:

Maybe he despises his brother. It should be noted that we don't know what Ned's thought about his mother. Well, i think that he loved his mother.

Well, Tywin and Gerion famously didn't get along. Same with Tywin and Tygett. Only Kevan was on good terms with his oldest brother, and that's only because he put himself under Tywin's shadow all his life.

6 hours ago, James Steller said:

Well, Tywin and Gerion famously didn't get along. Same with Tywin and Tygett. Only Kevan was on good terms with his oldest brother, and that's only because he put himself under Tywin's shadow all his life.

I knew that he didn't get along with Gerion, but i didn't know that same situation was with Tygett.

4 hours ago, Kandrax said:

I knew that he didn't get along with Gerion, but i didn't know that same situation was with Tygett.

Genna points out that Tygett did not like living in Tywin's shadow

"It has been hard for Kevan, living all his life in Tywin's shadow. It was hard for all my brothers. That shadow Tywin cast was long and black, and each of them had to struggle to find a little sun. Tygett tried to be his own man, but he could never match your father, and that just made him angrier as the years went by. Gerion made japes. Better to mock the game than to play and lose."

5 hours ago, Bernie Mac said:

Genna points out that Tygett did not like living in Tywin's shadow

"It has been hard for Kevan, living all his life in Tywin's shadow. It was hard for all my brothers. That shadow Tywin cast was long and black, and each of them had to struggle to find a little sun. Tygett tried to be his own man, but he could never match your father, and that just made him angrier as the years went by. Gerion made japes. Better to mock the game than to play and lose."

Quote doesn't say whether Tywin hated, loved or was indiffirent to Tygett, just that Tyg was little jealous toward him.

16 minutes ago, Kandrax said:

Quote doesn't say whether Tywin hated, loved or was indiffirent to Tygett, just that Tyg was little jealous toward him.

ywin despised his father, the weak-willed, fat, and ineffectual Lord Tytos Lannister, and his relations with his brothers Tygett and Gerion were notoriously stormy. He showed more regard for his brother Kevan, a close confidant and constant companion since childhood, and his sister Genna, but yet even in those cases, Tywin Lannister appeared more dutiful than affectionate.

3 minutes ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

ywin despised his father, the weak-willed, fat, and ineffectual Lord Tytos Lannister, and his relations with his brothers Tygett and Gerion were notoriously stormy. He showed more regard for his brother Kevan, a close confidant and constant companion since childhood, and his sister Genna, but yet even in those cases, Tywin Lannister appeared more dutiful than affectionate.

Thanks for quote.

12 minutes ago, Kandrax said:

It points out that they did not get along, that they had a 'stormy' relationship (which is how their relationship is described in the world book). But it is never going to be as clear as 'hate, love or indifferent' simply because real family relationships are rarely that simple. 

They were brothers, so Tywin was obligated to look out for both Tygett and Gerion, this is shown in the series that Tywin still cares for their children, or through Tywin trying to get Tygett the Royal Master of Arms position (which was instead given to Darry) or the search parties that Tywin has sent to Essos for Gerion. 

Tywin, as the oldest and seemingly most prominent (of an entire generation of nobles) was someone who swallowed up all the attention, all the plaudits. Some siblings don't react well to that, to forever be in someone else's shadow. 

Archived