NFL 2008 - Week One

Space Bandito

Yes, we have one more week of scrimmages and cuts. Then we get in to the real games. The Patriots open up against Herm Edwards and the Chiefs.

So to get everyone in the proper mind set for the upcoming season, let me remind you: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMk5sMHj58I"]What it all comes down to[/url]

Was surprised to read that Shawn Merriman intends to play this year despite reports of doctors telling him not to play on his injured knee. I suppose its his choice and his future.

Should be interesting.

And can I just say that too many talking heads are writing off teams like the Giants after a few injuries. There hasn't been a single game played yet and I just remember the Patriots last year more than survived a good chunk of the season without Richard Seymour and Rodney Harrison. As well as the Colts won a few games after losing the services of Freeny and Harrison.

[quote name='Space Bandito' post='1497039' date='Aug 27 2008, 14.32']Was surprised to read that Shawn Merriman intends to play this year despite reports of doctors telling him not to play on his injured knee. I suppose its his choice and his future.[/quote]
Probably the roids messing with his head turning him into a bigger meat head than he was before. Actually, probably the roids that contributed to the ruin that is his knee.

*waits for LessThanLuke :P*

Shawn Merriman is an idiot who is willing to blow his future career and health for this current season's run to the Super Bowl and whatever million is in his contract (I think 3). It's his body though. :dunno:

Looking forward to seeing someone competent in the drivers seat over in Foxborough! I mean, it is the Chiefs, so I think we probably could win without a quaterback at all (;), but not something I'd want to chance! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for 100% absolute healthiness all season. Don't let me down, Tom!

[quote name='CelticBrennus' post='1497100' date='Aug 27 2008, 12.05']Merriman is an idiot, and the Chargers are evil for not putting him on IR.[/quote]

I am not sure the league rules allow a team to put a player who can pass the physical on IR without his consent. And he passed the physical.

I would very much prefer that the Chargers err on the side of caution with Merriman's health - even if it means losing him to free agency without getting any more out of him.

[quote name='Lord O' Bones' post='1497623' date='Aug 27 2008, 21.30']I will make a bold prediction: 49ers games will not be entirely tragic to watch this season.[/quote]

God, I fucking hope not (that they're not tragic to watch, that is). Last year with the 9ers and Raiders is as bad as I ever want it to get.

I also need to check the Monday/Sunday night schedules, see if I'll get any Bills games on TV this year.

[quote name='Lord O' Bones' post='1497623' date='Aug 27 2008, 21.30']I will make a bold prediction: 49ers games will not be entirely tragic to watch this season.[/quote]

It's so funny... I've gone from thinking that this is going to be another "woe is us" season to thinking that maybe we can compete in a comically weak NFC West (Seahawks fans can gripe all they want but they won't convince me that Seattle would be more than a perennial .500 team in almost any other division in the League). I think we'll be able to get a good read on the team pretty quickly, with them opening against Arizona and following up @Seattle. If they're 0-2 after that, I don't give them much chance, 1-1 and maybe we're looking at a .500 type team (plus or minus a game or so), and 2-0... watch out. Anyway, I really do think they could be fun to watch this year, which is an improvement over Trent Dilfer, I guess.

I'm pretty much looking at 6-10 to 8-8, but [i]watcheable [/i]for a change. I mean the schedule is a pretty tough one, but if the defense continues to improve, and the offense can continue to do things other than Frank Gore and Joe Nedney all day everyday, we could be in for some real fun this year.

Minnesota Vikings....Superbowl....I mean think about it

Adrian Peterson- About to become the best player to ever play football

Defense- Darren Sharper, Jared Allen, Kevin Williams, Pat Williams must I go on one of the best defenses in the league full of pro bowlers and constantly improving

New Wide Receivers- Bernard Berriad also with the increasing skill of Sidney Rice(he will really turn into a star wide receiver)

Only Weakness- Quarterback- but he has really improved so everyone is saying we will see how Tarvaris Jackson does

Also One of the best Offensive Lines in football.....Matt Birk, Steve Hutchinson, Bryant Mckinnie all pro bowlers

We are seriously the best team in the NFC...soon the NFL once we take the championship home this year.

My car works fine. *kicks wheels*. Its tough. Looks pretty. Only weakness? No engine. Oh and it smells a little funny.

Yeah good luck.

My sleeper? I'm drinking the Matt Ryan Kool Aid.

My prediction for worse team of the year? The Ravens.

[quote]I would very much prefer that the Chargers err on the side of caution with Merriman's health - even if it means losing him to free agency without getting any more out of him.[/quote]

:agree:

Merriman is being very short-sighted in all this. I think he is on the edge of ruining his amazing career. His injury is so bad that it could damage him for the rest of his life.

[quote]Minnesota Vikings....Superbowl....I mean think about it

Adrian Peterson- About to become the best player to ever play football[/quote]

Here are Adrian's stats the last 4 weeks of the season:

14 carries for 3 yards (.2 ypc), 0 Tds (v. SF)
20-78 (3.9), 2TD
9-27 (3.0), 0TD
11-36 (3.5), 0TD

Ap is an amazing player- maybe the next Barry. All I am saying is before we go "crowning his ass" as the best player ever" lets see how he reacts to an NFL that is now fully aware he exists.

[quote]Only Weakness- Quarterback- but he has really improved so everyone is saying we will see how Tarvaris Jackson does[/quote]

And other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

I think they could win the NFC North. But you have the Cowboys to contend with before you can go any further (and God only knows who or what else will pop up over 17 weeks).

Worst team this season? Detroit. I have a feeling...

Pretty concerned about the Redskins brutal early 5 game slate.

Starts with a week from today, on the road at the defending Super Bowl Champ Giants. Not sure the Skins with a new coach and new offense are ready for that kind of spotlight game to be honest. Only things that give me hope is no Umeniyora (that dude terrifies me) and this is the kind of game the Giants generally drop the ball on.

Follow that with the Saints at home. And to be clear I think everything about the Saints screams 10-11 wins this year. Think getting Shockey on offense and Sedrick Ellis and Jonathan Vilma to patch up the defense are the savviest moves any team made in the offseason. Hopefully they just won't have their shit together in week 2.

Then Cardinals at home. The one game in the early going I think the Skins should be favored to win. But even there the Cardinals [i]always[/i] play 'em tough dating back to their NFC East days.

On the road at Dallas.

On the road at Philly.

Yikes. Think if we come out of that 2-3, having gotten all our road divisional games out of the way, I can't be too upset. But sweet mercy, heal up Jason Taylor!

Jamie, that is a pretty brutal schedule to start the season. But the Patriots face [url="http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/metalheadlaska/BrettFavre.png"]The Son of God, Heracles, The Man who can defeat Chuck Norris by simply not shaving[/url] on week two.

Wow, surprisingly the Giants have a somewhat easy schedule after winning the Super bowl. I can easily see 12-4 year.

Thursday, 9/4 7:00 PM ET NBC Washington
Sunday, 9/14 1:00 PM ET FOX @ St. Louis
Sunday, 9/21 1:00 PM ET CBS Cincinnati
Sunday, 9/28 BYE BYE BYE BYE
Sunday, 10/5 1:00 PM ET FOX Seattle
Monday, 10/13 8:30 PM ET ESPN @ Cleveland
Sunday, 10/19 1:00 PM ET FOX San Francisco
Sunday, 10/26 4:15 PM ET FOX @ Pittsburgh
Sunday, 11/2 4:15 PM ET FOX Dallas
Sunday, 11/9 8:15 PM ET NBC @ Philadelphia
Sunday, 11/16 1:00 PM ET* CBS Baltimore
Sunday, 11/23 4:15 PM ET* FOX @ Arizona
Sunday, 11/30 1:00 PM ET* FOX @ Washington
Sunday, 12/7 1:00 PM ET* FOX Philadelphia
Sunday, 12/14 8:15 PM ET* NBC @ Dallas
Sunday, 12/21 1:00 PM ET* FOX Carolina
Sunday, 12/28 1:00 PM ET* FOX @Minnesota

I see a split with Dallas, a split with Philly and Washington and Minnesota always has their number. But the rest are feasible wins.

Archived