Belfast Moot 2

Sad to hear about the banners. Because of a similar incident the owner of the location where our annual party was held canceled the party for the next year. All this because the culprit wasn't found and didn't take on responsibility.

I really hope (for everyone) that the person who took the banners will be courageous enough to give them back...wether is was malice or unthoughtfulness. I bet it'll cost quite an effort to do the right thing and give it back. But please do it.

Apart from that, everything sounds great. I haven't been a member here in this forum for a very long time, but I nearly skipped my university lessons for the past week to sign up for the BWB and the party. Now I regret not having done that. I hope there'll be another opportunity to meet GRRM (in Europe!)...

I'm very excited to hear more of those little stories from the moot.

What the hell? Anyone else find the above very off?

In what sense? I'm not sure if you're really objecting to the idea that this theft puts future parties at risk, here, but that's what it looks like. Is that what you mean to say? If so, why?

It's simply true that if the show is a hit, it won't be possible to hold semi-open parties of that type - they'll be mobbed and consequently uncontrollable. Future parties involving GRRM and the cast and/or crew would have to be invite-only for practical reasons. The theft of the banners is a good example of one of the sort of things that could happen otherwise. These banners were personal property, loaned to the Bros for the party. If people are going to be stealing things for souvenirs, the parties just can't be open. It's exactly the same as if someone had stolen a camera or a wallet.

As Parris says, it's about trust. If you lose that, you lose the ability to hold open parties. It becomes too much hassle and risk. GRRM, Parris, HBO, the cast... they're not going to help out if they think they might lose out. Nor are some of the BwBers who do the work to set these events up and make them run. At BwB parties in the past, artists have loaned artwork, BwBers have loaned their personal property, and people have made themselves liable for meeting possible costs like vandalism and theft. We do not want to have to be insuring our goddam parties. If that even looks like it might be necessary, who is going to want to deal with that?

It's not the monetary value of the banner that's the issue here. It's more important than that. And as a result, it's completely reasonable to be reconsidering how things might have to work in future.

ETA - to give a practical example, at the GlasCon 2005 party a friend of mine loaned us his sword, worth a couple of hundred quid, to do the knightings with. Would I ask him to do that now, in the light of this theft? I'd certainly think twice.

Maybe one of the admins could send a message to all those from the board who attended asking if they know anything about the whereabouts of the banners. That way we can start whittling down the number of culprits? It might be too much hassle but it could be a good place to start.

Maybe one of the admins could send a message to all those from the board who attended asking if they know anything about the whereabouts of the banners. That way we can start whittling down the number of culprits? It might be too much hassle but it could be a good place to start.

Good Idea, I was also thinking that something is bound to show up in a photo, there were so many pics taken that night, might just take a few days for everyone to get around to sitting down and going through them all.

I have something quite useful to us in this investigation which is a copy of the guestlist onto which I wrote down the names of the Extras who turned up that were invited by George on set earlier that day. I was doing this just so I could namecheck everyone that was there but if it was one of these Extras who did the deed this may help us track them down. Though I hate to treat those guys in this way because they all seemed like good people to me who would not do this kind of thing.

Admittedly this is not a totally complete list, there may have been a couple of Extras that slipped past me when I was away from the door but not many escaped my notice.

We can pinpoint a small window of time that it happened, somewhere between 11.10 pm and 11.50 pm which is when the majority of people left right after the raffle and we know it was still hanging up (just about) during the raffle draw. It was about midnight when we noticed it was gone and I know that nobody who was there at the end could have done it.

If you have reasonable suspicions that one or more of the Extras were involved, then I would get in touch with Carla Mercer at Extras NI and make her aware of the situation now (so she can follow up who was there), and hopefully get it resolved before it is escalated to the producers.

I can't remember for the life in me what time it would be - around midnight perhaps; Silverjaime may remember as we went back to the hotel together.

It would have been midnight. Not long after that I was talking to Goat trying to make sure all the non-locals were "sorted" for navigating back to their respective places. There weren't many people left by that stage. My phone tells me I rang for a taxi at 00:14, and that was after a 5 min walk.

The good thing about Belfast bars though is that they tend to have robust CCTV systems that can be turned over to the PSNI in situations like this. I'm hoping that footage is sitting waiting for us to cast our eyes on, because it'll be very quick to isolate the various groups even if we can't remember the individual(s) by name.

Giant, the game is corking. I hope that makes you feel better about not winning it. It's only Starks vs Lannisters, even in the expansion packs, so I'm going to invest in learning how to continually win as Stark! You need to insure that beard though, man. £15 not worth your dignity in a world of smoothfaced youths!

Git.

Knew it would be a cracking game - but let's face it ... it ain't Risk.

In fact - let it be known that the idea of a Westeros version of Risk is mine ..... you heard it here first !!!!

In other words, I'm one of the people on these boards- and in real life you really don't want to piss off on all things concerning George and the Bros.

I realise that. I just found that you were saying to people that this might never happen again - prior to any accident - quite negative. Due to Mormont's post, I can now understand a little better. And I know you're already angry, which is why I didn't dive in, full accusations or anything, and hoped someone would clear it up.

But Mormont,

ETA - to give a practical example, at the GlasCon 2005 party a friend of mine loaned us his sword, worth a couple of hundred quid, to do the knightings with. Would I ask him to do that now, in the light of this theft? I'd certainly think twice.

That's very cynical. Just because it happened once, doesn't mean it'll happen again. In Belfast or anywhere.

Hope it's resolved.

I wasn't there so I don't know how everything went down, but is there any possibility that some one from the establishment might have taken it? Having worked in the service industry, I wouldn't be surprised. :uhoh:

And is there any possible way someone who wasn't on the guest list could have gotten in around that time, since everything was all hectic with the raffle and what not?

I'm sad to hear that someone dared to steal something at the moot. I wasn't there but I'm definitely hoping to be able to come next year. Knowing that things like that would put such party in jeopardy I sure hope the guy will turn the banner back asap :(.

You seemed to all have a whole lot of fun, it sucks when someone spoils the sweet taste of a memorable evening.

Luga - there were only two staff members downstairs and they were behind the bar the entire night, so I doubt it. And somebody might have crept in, but with the crowds, somebody pushing their way to the back when everything going on was at the front would have been noticed methinks. The banner was as far from the entrance as you can get, so it wasn't a case of sneaking downstairs and yoinking it whilst nobody was looking.

Edited to remove response to deleted post.

What it comes down to is that Parris has always tried to help out the fans, as has George, and we have always been thankful for that. I'm sure that's what every fan would want.

As I've said, the value of the banner is not the issue. Trust is the issue. If we lose that, well, nobody can complain about GRRM, Parris or anyone else being reluctant to do favours for the fans in future. This isn't just about Parris: it affects all of us who are fans.

So if the person who took the banners is reading this, do us all a favour: you can restore that trust by just contacting one of us and sorting the whole thing out. We all do stupid stuff sometimes. You can still fix it. And you'll be doing us all a favour.

I've been chatting with Dairmuid who was one of the extras. He has sent an email to the others in his group to see if anyone saw anything. I was there to nearly the end and I didn't see anything suspicious I'm afraid. Was this the banner at the back of the room? There was one group if people who I didn't know who stayed down there for most of the night so maybe they know or saw something?

Parris I am so Sorry that this has happened. For what was such a fantastic night to be tainted by this is terrible. We as fans and extras absolutely love having these meetings and I would hate to think that this incident may prevent others in the future.

Some people are really complete assholes and whoever did this just pissed over all the good will shown by you, George and all if the tired cast and crew who made an effort to come.

If I can help in any way just let me know.

If anyone is talking to Extras NI - or indeed any of the Extras there who do not frequent these Boards - my suggestion would be to get then to drop the Banners in a Bag and drop the bag into Robinsons. Cowards like this are more likely to act if they think there is no chance of being caught, and imho this would give them that opportunity to do the right thing.

As mentioned before, I'm gutted this happened as it reflects badly on the rest of us and it let the side down in front of such good, good people.

First time I've logged on here since the Moot.

What a way to mire such great night!

I am afraid I left about five minutes after midnight which I imagine was only shortly before it was discovered the banners were missing. Wish I could help more. As others have already said these events can only really happen based on trust.

Hope you get your banners back Parris.

While the loss of the banners is a slap in the face let's try and remember that we did have a very good night at the Moot, made some good new friends and met some of the cast members who are all incredible.

I have only 24 photos but they are now uploaded to my my photo gallery.

The raffle was a big success and you can use the following links to review the prizes that were on offer, find out who won prizes, what they chose and watch the full video of the drawing which is now available on YouTube:

Raffle Prizes Poster

Raffle Winners List

After the raffle we had two boarders step up and sing a couple of folk songs composed specially for the occasion. Check out this YouTube video of

. I also have video of Ser Mel T's song 'Off to the Wall' but she told me in no uncertain terms that she would kill me if I posted it. However she was drunk when she made the threat so I may eventually be able to share it with everyone without fear of having my balls cut off, so keep your fingers crossed on that score.

I have also uploaded a text file with the full guestlist including cast and crew who were present, all BWB members, Extras and Others.

Hopefully a proper detailed report will be ready by tomorrow.

While the loss of the banners is a slap in the face let's try and remember that we did have a very good night at the Moot, made some good new friends and met some of the cast members who are all incredible.

I have only 24 photos but they are now uploaded to my my photo gallery.

The raffle was a big success and you can use the following links to review the prizes that were on offer, find out who won prizes, what they chose and watch the full video of the drawing which is now available on YouTube:

Raffle Winners List

After the raffle we had two boarders step up and sing a couple of folk songs composed specially for the occasion. Check out this YouTube video of

. I also have video of Ser Mel T's song 'Off to the Wall' but she told me in no uncertain terms that she would kill me if I posted it. However she was drunk when she made the threat so I may eventually be able to share it with everyone without fear of having my balls cut off, so keep your fingers crossed on that score.

I have also uploaded a text file with the full guestlist including cast and crew who were present, all BWB members, Extras and Others.

Hopefully a proper detailed report will be ready by tomorrow.

Loved your pix - and it's great to have the guestlist to see just how many cast and crew turned up! I think I managed to talk to most of them. You did a great job compiling all this while acting as doorman!

Raffle Winners List

I said thank you about thousands times while in Dublin. I guess I have to do it once again.

Great videos!

And great raffle, too.

So sorry about the banners. I tweeted several times a notice.

Hopefully someone would be enough brave and honest to return them.

Archived