Aussie LI

Ski the Swift

Some friendly unsolicited advice for OS travellers.

Apparently the Commonwealth Bank has a new account for travellers. You can bank into it a bunch of foreign currency that you have already purchased. They give you a generic debit card. Then you can withdraw that money when you are overseas without paying a foreign transaction fee at the ATM. I don't actually have one of these yet - my boss was telling me about it recently.

Might be worth investigating.

Apparently the Commonwealth Bank has a new account for travellers. You can bank into it a bunch of foreign currency that you have already purchased. They give you a generic debit card. Then you can withdraw that money when you are overseas without paying a foreign transaction fee at the ATM. I don't actually have one of these yet - my boss was telling me about it recently.

That is exactly what I did Stubs. Except it's not just the Commonwealth Bank doing it. The local Newcastle Permanent also has something.

Happy to hear about your good recovery Ski

And Pax

And yeah, it's even taking me some time to adjust to the news that Australia are the number 5 ranked test team in the world. Maybe I'll have to actually start going for Australia soon?...

Nope. Still hate 'em.

While Punter or Pup are in the team/capataining they get the thumbs down!

GS

Happy Birthday!

And lastly

Where's Brook?

While Punter or Pup are in the team/capataining they get the thumbs down!

That means you're going to be on my side for quite some time sh_wulff - I can't see the Punter/Pup reign of terror ending until 2017-ish.

As for brook, she posted about her sub-par bowling skills in the BwB sub-forum yesterday so she has been around the board recently. Maybe she's just avoiding the Aussies thread because the pain of the Tigers' elimination from the NRL finals series is still too much to bear...

@Stubs: Thanks for that advice. I'll get straight down to CB and sort it out once exams are done and dusted.

First cricket game of the season was this morning - we had the opposition in big trouble at 9-139 but they somehow recovered to 10-198 :thumbsdown: . Might need to teach these kids a few shots at training this week rather than the usual forward defensive.

On the positive side though, I walked past the American Express outlet today in Penrith and they had big signs up saying "We don't have US Dollars".

It's better to have US Dollars at a lower rate of exchange than to have none :D

LOL. I swear Penrith is sort of so semi-urban...I almost thought I had walked into country Australia :P

I think all the major banks do something through Mastercard. It's called Traveller's Cash I think?

It's usually only for Euro's, Pounds, US dollars and other common currencies.

Hey any Perth or WA bwbs wannna catch up with my friends Caro and Izzy? Zey are Gerrrrmans arriving Tuesday night for a 6 week road trip.

I'm gonna try and book flights to (Hel)L.A this week for my own road trip next April. Just found out that my friend is moving to San Diego for 3 years so that pretty much settled my itinerary:

LA, cousins in Fountain Valley, Disneyland, San Fran, Yosemite, Vegas, Grand Canyon, San Diego, back to LA, see if I have time to do a 3 day trip to NYC.

Extreme wootage

Oh, and just because I underwent 13 years of Catholic schooling, go Mary Mckillop. *waves flag of some sort*

@Luce: I have to be anti-social until after exams, but if your friends are still in Perth at any stage after November 14 then I don't mind showing them around for a day or something. Seriously though, that's a pretty random question even by your standards. Are they ASOIAF fans at least? :P

And yeah, the path to sainthood is arbitrary at best, but if any Australian is going to be canonised then it may as well be McKillop. She was a tireless educator and counsellor/social worker as much as a nun and she also stood up for herself during a time when women suffered even greater inequality in the church than they do now.

@sh_wulff: :cheers:

Just got back from the doctors, we all have tonsilitis (even the child I was convinced was faking).

Then the doctor asked if I was pregnant and spent the rest of the appointment staring doubtfully at my belly after I said no. :tantrum:

So yeah its lots of fun here at the moment

Then the doctor asked if I was pregnant and spent the rest of the appointment staring doubtfully at my belly after I said no. :tantrum:

The bastard! :whip:

Hope the tonsilitis is resolved soon. On that note, at least it means ice cream. ;)

Yeesh, insult to injury there.

As a child I was always told about the benefits of tonsilitis but my best efforts to catch it were in vain. In adulthood ice cream isn't quite the drawcard so commiz brook :(

Thanls everyone much apreciated.

ohh well am off to the doctors tomorrow to get a certificate until wednesday when the "clinic" looks at it

Also need to check my lottery ticket, supposedly there is a winner of $500,000 out there

if it is me well thats first div and then there is I don't know how many second divs 5 or six I think and then the others well it all adds up

but you know it is not me.

@Luce: I have to be anti-social until after exams, but if your friends are still in Perth at any stage after November 14 then I don't mind showing them around for a day or something. Seriously though, that's a pretty random question even by your standards. Are they ASOIAF fans at least? :P

They might be ASOIAF fans. GRRM is big in Germany, right? I mean, they love Hasselhoff ...

Anyway, probably not so random if you know me. Over the years we've hosted many a foreigner met through various methods, such as couch surfing, friends from exchange programs back during school days, my friends going to USA for Fulbright Scholarships and insisting that we meet their American counterparts coming over to Australia ... It's a good way to see parts of your own state/ country/ city that you might not normally think about.

It's just natural that I poke my nose into people's business and try to arrange playdates for people who are vaguely in the same place at the same time!

Anyway, I'm sure they don't fly out till 30th Nov, so I'll PM you after the 14th. Study hard! Although you do know the last semester rule right? They never fail you? I got 50, 51, 52 and 75 in my last semester :-)

Just got back from the doctors, we all have tonsilitis (even the child I was convinced was faking).

Hope you feel better Brook, although I'm sure that your kid is still faking it. They're all evil geniuses (genii?)

That one really is an evil genius, he's never let the middle child thing stand in the way of his ruling the house.

I was going to keep him home today but after half an hour of him running around the house tormenting his brothers and driving me nuts I decided he's healthy enough for preschool, so at least its kind of peaceful here now :)

Study hard! Although you do know the last semester rule right? They never fail you? I got 50, 51, 52 and 75 in my last semester :

I was always taught that if you got more than 50% you studied too hard!!

I was always taught that if you got more than 50% you studied too hard!!

Heh. Those are my boss' exact words.

One thing I will say to Luce, when you stand up before the judge and say that you appear for the defendant, the judge doesn't care what your grades were...

One thing I will say to Luce, when you stand up before the judge and say that you appear for the defendant, the judge doesn't care what your grades were...

The trouble is getting in front of the judge Stubs. Not everyone has your natural charm, charisma and Jack McCoy-esque confidence to help them through the law firm interview process ;-). My only chance is if I get a fellow cricket tragic as an interviewer - then I can distract them with the finer points of defensive technique or witty anecdotes about the Bodyline series...

FWIW, tomorrow is my last ever day of uni classes. Very weird feeling. It's almost as if six years, two degrees and 80-odd exams have passed in the blink of an eye. What happened to 2005? :dunno:

@brook and GS: Hope you guys are back to full health soon. Between GS' arm, brook's tonsillitis, Ski's wrist and Stubby/laoise's post-con lurgies we could nearly rename this thread Aussie Ailments LI.

Also: where the heck is Ser Cam?

Archived