Aussie LI

Ski the Swift

@ThatGuy: Damn. Hope it all works out. Sounds like I should add "lack of flooding" to the list of reasons why WA > East Coast (alongside "lack of Oprah", "no daylight saving", "sunsets over the beach" and "best BwBers in Aus").

I would like to add that Queensland does not have daylight savings either....although that is the cause for much debate!

No Oprah here also! Plus we have the added bonus of having no Western Australians here too :D

Link not working for me Rach :thumbsdown:. Why don't you just copy and paste your travel posts in here? It'd probably be an improvement for the Aussies' thread after the recent sledging spamfest...

ETA: Ah, figured out what was wrong with the link (had an extra "http://" at the start). Looks like you're having a good time R.

Fixed that link now. I was having major problems with that computer and it was only showing me half the link box, so I just had to cut and paste blindly.

My sister earlier today:

I've got a feeling Glory will win today. It's only Central Coast.

The result? A 5-0 defeat :ack:.

Fixed that link now. I was having major problems with that computer and it was only showing me half the link box, so I just had to cut and paste blindly.

Don't lie MS, we all know that you stuffed up that link because you were parro after a night on the Pisco :P. Actually, there's a lack of mention of drunken shenanigans on your travel blog, so you better rectify that soon. You have to do the BwB proud! :cheers:

Anyone doing anything for Cup Day next week? (Melbourne people, you've been quiet lately - still depressed about the end of the AFL season? Luce? Ser Cam? Jebus? Anyone?)

ETA: Stubs, I agree that the wombat needed a change, but couldn't you have gone for something better than a Dr Who in-joke? :P

For anyone interested here are the results for the Melbourne Cup on Tuesday.

1st - 3 SO YOU THINK - Will relax and get the trip and immortalise himself in racing history. I just hope that when he wins the owners don't retire him to stud and decide to keep racing him.

Here are the best of the rest in no particular order, really keen on the 8 AMERICAN and the 11 DESCARADO. Like the 24 MALUCKYDAY as a great lighweight chance. Others to include in the multies are 6 MR MEDICI, 12 HARRIS TWEED, 13 MANIGHAR and 22 LINTON.

Good luck all and happy punting :cheers:

Anyone doing anything for Cup Day next week? (Melbourne people, you've been quiet lately - still depressed about the end of the AFL season? Luce? Ser Cam? Jebus? Anyone?)

ETA: Stubs, I agree that the wombat needed a change, but couldn't you have gone for something better than a Dr Who in-joke? :P

It's 'cause it's been raining, we go quiet when it rains.

Melb Cup I have 3 choices - BBQ at mates, local pub BBQ, or BBQ at a wine bar that another mate owns. I'll probably end up freaking out and just staying home (especially if my pay doesn't come through).

Anyone else dress up for Hallowe'en and get shitfaced? I was Rorschach from Watchmen, good fun, good times, attempted to start and interpretive dance off but had no takers - they never wanna go against me 'cause I always win.

It's 'cause it's been raining, we go quiet when it rains.

It's so true! Friday was wonderful glorious weather. After work drinks and a spot of shopping (window shopping, sadly) I meandered home and forgot to eat dinner cos I'd filled up on Kettle chips at drinks and a $30 buffet lunch at the former Rialto. Then woke up Saturday ... miserable! I love Melbourne. I also love how Melbournites refuse to listen to the weatherman and say things like "Friday is so nice; it can't posisbly rain tomorrow". BAH!

Melb Cup I have 3 choices - BBQ at mates, local pub BBQ, or BBQ at a wine bar that another mate owns. I'll probably end up freaking out and just staying home (especially if my pay doesn't come through).

I was all set to stay at home by myself or even go shopping (three weddings coming up, the first and most important one being my partner's sister's) but now my partner isn't working so I am forced to be sociable. We convinced my friend Karen to host. Huzzah.

Anyone else dress up for Hallowe'en and get shitfaced? I was Rorschach from Watchmen, good fun, good times, attempted to start and interpretive dance off but had no takers - they never wanna go against me 'cause I always win.

Yep got dressed up always. It's not that big a deal for me though cos we had a dress up party last weekend (1920s murder mystery) and have another one next weekend (Dante's Inferno). I'm all costumed out. I was non-specific Pink Lady to go with non-specific T-Bird. Too easy. I didn't get sh1tfaced but I'm good at convincing people I'm drunk (they think small Asian girl had one drink, she must be drunk) which is just as good as actually being drunk, I think. I can do and say whatever I want, and not have a hangover or worry about how I'm getting home. One guy made a whole Bender costume. It was truly the most magnificent thing I'd ever seen. Oh except for the girl with coke cans in her hair, Gaga style.

Sorry for recent quietness; having to deal with work politics as well as a nasty stomach bug last week. And as for being depressed about footy season finishing, yes, most certainly am. This half hearted pre-Ashes sledging isn't quite hitting the spot.

Also, just to worry y'all - it's about 54 days till Christmas!

@ Pax - hope exams and essays are going well. I refute your assertion that West Coast is better than East Coast. Seriously though, I mean, there's stuff to DO here.

I'm suffering footy season withdrawals too. There are international games going on but between hating the Aussie's messed up selections and not really wanting to cheer for the Kiwi's who have players I actually like it just isn't much fun.

My sister had a baby girl on Tuesday which has kind of sent the family into a state of shock, I know its a 50/50 chance and all but this will be only the third girl born into the family in the last 50 years (my sister and I being the other two, that includes cousins, second cousins etc as far as I can track)so noone was really expecting it.

In other good news the husband is in geek heaven after getting the job at the NBN he's been hoping for pretty much since it was announced. It looks like I'm going to have to practice pretending to understand what the hell he's talking about when he starts with the technical stuff because he hasn't stopped since he got the acceptance.

Halloween annoys me, I always get some brilliant idea for a costume that is well beyond my skill to make (my skill at anything crafty being non-existant) when its far too late to track one down and buy it. This year it was that small redheaded demon child needed to be dressed as a leprechaun.

My sister had a baby girl on Tuesday which has kind of sent the family into a state of shock, I know its a 50/50 chance and all but this will be only the third girl born into the family in the last 50 years (my sister and I being the other two, that includes cousins, second cousins etc as far as I can track)so noone was really expecting it.

Congrats! My parents had 5 girls and 2 boys, but more importantly, the girls are the loud, "in charge" ones whereas the boys sit meekly in the background. So when my sister got pregnant and I told everyone that there was no option but for it to be a girl, they assumed I was right. Lo and behold, little baby girl. No room for boys in our family. It's the same with all my cousins and their husbands - girls are totally in charge.

Hope everyone enjoyed Cup day. I had a real swell time at home studying :ohwell:.

@ Pax - hope exams and essays are going well. I refute your assertion that West Coast is better than East Coast. Seriously though, I mean, there's stuff to DO here.

My last ever law assignments were handed in on Friday. Now just two exams left: Procedure (:ack:) next Monday and Commercial Practice/Conveyancing a few days later. TBH I’ll be quite happy just to pass those two the way things have been going lately.

As for West>East coast, let me simplify the argument:

Today’s weather in Melbourne: 12 degrees, drizzle

Today’s weather in Perth: 33 degrees, clear

Also, there's no way you should have revealed that you're good at faking drunkenness - now we're all going to be keeping a careful eye on how much you drink at the next BwB meet...

@brook: Congrats on the niece :cheers:.

Also, there's no way you should have revealed that you're good at faking drunkenness - now we're all going to be keeping a careful eye on how much you drink at the next BwB meet...

Actually the reason why I'm so good at being faux-drunk is that it's quite hard to get me actually drunk! I swear gin and tonics do nothing! The only way to do it involves absinthe or at least Cointreau.

Here are the best of the rest in no particular order, really keen on the 8 AMERICAN and the 11 DESCARADO.

Two extremes of Cup success there! Nice pick with Americain, Confalume. Now is the time to get nit-picky about Australians and their inability to pronounce the name properly. It's not "cayne" it's a nice nasal ending, like saying "can" without the "n".

There's a new cafe opening on my street. It's called (so original) "Le petite cafe". Okay, so it's been a hwile since I studied and I'm not sure whether cafe is masculine or feminine, BUT you can't have "le petite". It's either "la petite" or "le petit". That's 1st year French. Whoever is running this shop clearly has no idea and is just a bandwagon jumper-on-er-er.

*stamps foot*

Okay, so nobody's going to mention the cricket last night? Or the extreme displeasure with Clarke? I'll take the bait. It was an awesome match and I think the whole thing's hilarious.

Okay, so nobody's going to mention the cricket last night? Or the extreme displeasure with Clarke? I'll take the bait. It was an awesome match and I think the whole thing's hilarious.

Jeor and I commented on it alrady ( see cricket x thread in entertainment)

Halloween .....hmmm lets see all hallows eve is the harvest festival celebrated 2 moons after the Autumn equinox.

Let me think spring Equinox 2 moons ago, guess what people you have been had.

Just because the northern hemisphere celebrates things on a certain date rather than the apropriate time it does not mean we have to be just as silly.

So looks like you can celebrate it twice this solar year, once in the proper time 30/4/2011 and once when the yanks did.

So that is the date where you start looking for the closest full moon it is not necceserily the actual date. I am sorry but I am just too tired to work out the exact date at the moment.

Work has been interesting, I have finally realised just how dumb the owners are in re to business matters.

I am not about to explain to them just how much money they are losing in tax refunds because they refuse to buy new trucks

Most places it is a case of if you show the boss up to be an idiot you generally get sacked not long after.

ohh and my truck was defected by the police yesterday so we now have 2 drivers without trucks

Luce Magoose is that a challenge?

Archived