Are you bias toward certain states?

Colder Hands

If you are from Missouri, you are raised to understand Kansas drivers CANT drive, and Arkansas people are inbred. Oh and Oklahoma got the shitty end of the stick.After reading material on the Civil War and the bootlegging, I realized a lot of this state against state, in this area, it started with the civil war. Darn Kansas people would just tie up their horses anywhere, didn't care if they crossed the parking lines or not. grrrrrr

I can confirm this. Not the Kansas thing so much, but the Arkansas jokes are pretty constant. I remember one teacher I had in high school getting mad about it once, since he was from Arkansas.

I keep reading this and continue to get the urge to gouge my eyes out. I am biased towards certain states, but my bias towards The District has now surpassed all of those other biases thanks to CH. Even Oklahoma.

+1 @ title

If you are from Missouri, you are raised to understand Kansas drivers CANT drive, and Arkansas people are inbred. Oh and Oklahoma got the shitty end of the stick.

After reading material on the Civil War and the bootlegging, I realized a lot of this state against state, in this area, it started with the civil war. Darn Kansas people would just tie up their horses anywhere, didn't care if they crossed the parking lines or not. grrrrrr

OMG I have to disagree. MO drivers are the worst. So are the the roads in MO. Even without signs I can tell when I have entered MO simply by the change in road surface.

I find the entire Bible belt to be pretty annoying. I am from Southern CA, but currently live in a suburb of Kansas City.

I'm the reverse. I grew up in the suburbs of Kansas City (Olathe and Overland Park), among other places, but moved to California for work (first Southern CA and now Northern CA).

No real negative biases towards people of different states. I've moved around quite a bit, during my childhood and as an adult, so maybe that has something to do with it. I probably have a slight positive bias to midwestern people, but it's not much, and can be erased very very quickly.

The stranger,

So are people from Oregon incapable of pumping their own gasoline or too snooty to pump their own gasoline?

:P

I'm putting all of my money on 'incapable.' on the other hand, know what we're also incapable of doing? PAYING SALES TAX.

[ka-blamm-o]

Is "the South" a state? Then yes I have many biases. Texas is a special brand of the South and the aforementioned hubris (which is a really too nice a word for Texas IMO).

Actually, I do think more in regions rather than distinct states. Like, North East sports fans are easily the most obnoxious and annoying.

Mountain states are overly populated with Cali refugees. Note to the original Mountain people, they aren't real Californians and we don't want them either.

Utah is a special brand of mountain state + Mormonism.

And this:

Other than that, I have mild anti-Californian prejudice based on my negative experiences with "people" from both SF and LA.

I feel the same way. Tough thing with Cali is we are overly populated with people from everywhere else...yea we don;t really want them either :P

Finally, all 49.5 of the states have some really crappy weather B)

I'm the reverse. I grew up in the suburbs of Kansas City (Olathe and Overland Park), among other places, but moved to California for work (first Southern CA and now Northern CA).

No real negative biases towards people of different states. I've moved around quite a bit, during my childhood and as an adult, so maybe that has something to do with it. I probably have a slight positive bias to midwestern people, but it's not much, and can be erased very very quickly.

Ha! That's where I am.

I find the Bible thumpers extremely annoying. Too many extremists here. But, there are some very nice people out here and people are more helpful than say, in LA.

My Dad still lives in the South Bay, and the people who live withing 2 blocks of the water are some of the nicest, most helpful people I have ever met. They have more of the neighbors-helping-neighbors mentality that you find here (when they aren't scorning you for being black, a "fag", a slut, etc).

I spent a few years in Elementary School living in a rural town in AZ. Very few white kids. I learned how to run really fast.

I drove through New Mexico once and found it to be an armpit.

OMG I have to disagree. MO drivers are the worst. So are the the roads in MO. Even without signs I can tell when I have entered MO simply by the change in road surface.

As a proud Pennsylvanian, I must take offense to the this. Our roads are horrible. We have even had it pointed out that Pennsylvania is an old Indian word meaning "highway under construction".

And every driver on the road with me is obviously the worst driver in the world. It cannot be my total lack of patience combined with a zero to irritated in 0.5 seconds. Can it?

They're stereotypes for a reason. Each state in the union that I have a bias for or against is completely deserved.

The short list: North Carolina and Hawaii can do no wrong. Mississippi and New Jersey? If I never talk to another soul from there, the quality of my life will improve exponentially from the time I save trying to decipher what they're saying.

Isn't GRRM from Santa Fe? That's a big plus.

BTW, I did your drive in reverse - Kansas City to Irvine. I don't remember stopping in New Mexico though. Think I drove to Flagstaff before stopping. Had no idea Arizona had mountains where you could ski until then.

A lot of my Replacements induced respect for Minnesota has died with the rise of Michelle Bachman. How any Minnesotans can reelect that dipshit is beyond my comprehension and I'm originally from Florida, aka the motherland of dipshits.

Isn't GRRM from Santa Fe? That's a big plus.

BTW, I did your drive in reverse - Kansas City to Irvine. I don't remember stopping in New Mexico though. Think I drove to Flagstaff before stopping. Had no idea Arizona had mountains where you could ski until then.

Flagstaff is very pretty.

Yes, we drove through NM and TX then through a piece of OK, (which smelled like slaughterhouse rot), and then through Kansas, passing through Wichita, which is also an armpit.

Archived